Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 01-03-2008, 02:37 PM   #1
llwwss
llwwss doesn't litterllwwss doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
Chinese or Japanese on the Cybook.

Bookeen.com says

"Right to left languages as Hebrew and Arabic will only be available in PDF format. For languages with a limited set of character as Cyrillic or Greek, the files can be read in all formats........................................... ............
For documents with an extended set of characters like Chinese, you will need to install your own font on the Cybook to decode your documents (except for PDF files which embed most of the times the required font)."

So unless they are lying, the Cybook should display Chinese and Japanese(which is very similar to Chinese) characters correctly other than in PDF format.

Anybody added Chinese or Japanese fonts and displayed it on the Cybook?
Or anybody willing to experiment with it on your Cybook?
llwwss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 03:52 PM   #2
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
I can try it if you tell me where to get the Chinese or Japanese fonts.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2008, 05:17 PM   #3
llwwss
llwwss doesn't litterllwwss doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
Go to this site, and download Ms Gothic or Ms Mincho which are Japanese fonts.

http://www.themeworld.com/fonts/indexM14.html

And you can only try it with Mobipocket files because i just received an reply from Bookeen saying that Japanese or Chinese characters can't be displayed in txt or html format though the right fonts are installed on the Cybook but it will be possible in the next firmware upgrade.

Last edited by llwwss; 01-03-2008 at 08:34 PM.
llwwss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 08:38 PM   #4
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
My google search also came up with this page, which points to many ways of getting the fonts, depending on your system:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:Mu...rt_(East_Asian)

and it points to this page, where there's many more fonts to get:

http://www.wazu.jp/gallery/Fonts_Japanese.html
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:53 AM   #5
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by llwwss View Post
Go to this site, and download Ms Gothic or Ms Mincho which are Japanese fonts.

http://www.themeworld.com/fonts/indexM14.html

And you can only try it with Mobipocket files because i just received an reply from Bookeen saying that Japanese or Chinese characters can't be displayed in txt or html format though the right fonts are installed on the Cybook but it will be possible in the next firmware upgrade.
I will try it tonight. I will add the fonts and subscribe to a Japanese and Chinese newspaper.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2008, 04:20 AM   #6
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
I can confirm that the Cybook displays the characters if the correct font is used
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 11:01 AM   #7
Acutesound
Acutesound began at the beginning.

Device: sony or Cybook
Which font and where can you get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfJulie View Post
I can confirm that the Cybook displays the characters if the correct font is used
I tried loading several chinese true fonts and as a matter of fact other fonts into the system font folder, the reader does not recognise any of them and wont display in the font family panel. Can you let me know where you can get the fonts and what you need to do extra to get it working?

Thanks from a new Cybook gen 3 user.
Acutesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

It looks a problem with the font cache, there are several posts about that problem.

Check this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15969, and see it helps.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 02:08 PM   #9
Acutesound
Acutesound began at the beginning.

Device: sony or Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Hi

It looks a problem with the font cache, there are several posts about that problem.

Check this post: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15969, and see it helps.

Best regards,
Thanks, I resolve the font cache issue and downloaded several chinese, japanese fonts to try. None of them work with the chinese or japanese books I've downloaded in mobipocket format.

Any good suggestions?
Acutesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:18 PM   #10
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
I'd send email to Bookeen support. When I sent them similar information about Polish fonts not working, they asked for samples to test on.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:29 AM   #11
NX650
NX650 began at the beginning.

Device: CyBook Gen3
My CyBook3 can display Japanese fonts. I used IPA fonts. It is free ttf. Unfortunately Japanese agency site just has Japanese text page. The fonts are available at http://ossipedia.ipa.go.jp/ipafont/

You have to click a button at the bottme of the page.

Don't forget deleting font cache file in system folder after installation of new fonts.

Last edited by NX650; 02-24-2008 at 06:32 AM.
NX650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 06:53 AM   #12
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
I have finally resolved the issue of converting Chinese and Japanese eBook files to display correctly on the Cybook Gen 3. If there is a demand for this information I'll be happy to write out step by step instructions.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #13
pmwt
Enthusiast
pmwt began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo HD
Step by step instructions would be much appreciated. I myself had no luck in my attempts.
pmwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:19 AM   #14
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
The main problem with Chinese and Japanese texts is that several encodings for each language were in use before the era of Unicode.
The Cybook uses Unicode UTF-8 encoding. So the trick is to convert the ebook files to UTF-8.

For doing this you need to use 3 softwares. 1. Firefox, 2. a text editor (word pad etc) and 3. Kompozer (a multi-platform HTML editor with versions for Windows, Mac and Linux). Link here: http://kompozer.net/download.php

Open the txt or html file of the book in Firefox.

If the text is gibberish, go to File/Character Encoding and tick one by one the Asian encodings until you get the correct one on screen. Click on /More Encodings if the first list is not enough.

Once the text appears correctly on screen, do a "select all" and copy to the clipboard. The text you are saving now is automatically in HTML format.

Next, open Kompozer and "paste" the copied text into the new blank screen. Now you can edit the text as you like. Before you do anything you should save the text by clicking on File/Save And Change Character Encoding.

Type in the filename and select UTF-8 in the box below. You can enlarge the size of the title or chapter by high-lighting the word(s) and clicking on the big letter A in the toolbar above the text. You can change high-lighted text to bold, italics etc by clicking on the corresponding icon in the toolbar. Don't forget to save often.

If you want a list of chapters for a long text where you can jump to the chapter by simply clicking on the chapter in the list, this is what you do.

Make a list of chapters at the beginning of the text.
Chapter 1. How to do this
Chapter 2. How to do that
etc.

Go down into the text. Find chapter 1 or whatever you want as a chapter and highlight the word(s). Click on the anchor icon to create the "anchor" and type in a name such as "c01" "c02" for example in the box which opens.

After you have done this to all the chapters, go back to the chapter list at the top of the text. Find Chapter 1 and highlight it. Click on the chain icon to create the "link". In the box which opens, click on the down arrow on the right of the box in "Link location" and select the text which you have typed for chapter 1 eg. "c01". Click OK. The word(s) will now appear in blue, which means the link has been successfully created.
Create the links to all the other chapters and you have an active chapter list.
Don't forget to save often

The HTML file you have now created can be used in "MobiPocket Creator" directly to create a .prc file usable on all MobiPocket readers.

It takes a lot of time to do the chapter links so I usually leave it out on novels that I know I will read only once. However if there is a text which you consult often and need to scroll around a lot, putting in chapter links would make sense.

Next you need to install the relevant fonts on the Cybook itself.
For Chinese I find SimHei the most legible.
For Japanese MS Gothic is the one I use.
Connect the Cybook to your computer and copy these True Type Fonts to the Fonts folder in the root directory of the Cybook. Next you have to delete the "font_cache" file in the Systems folder (don't worry, Cybook will create another one with the new fonts when you turn it on again).
After you have done all the above and turned on the Cybook, it will take many minutes of waiting (while it writes a new font cache) before the library screen appears again. Just be patient.

See other threads on MobileRead for advice on fonts and their installation.

I am aware that this might not be the easiest or quickest way, but at the moment it is what I use.

Last edited by Polyglot27; 01-26-2010 at 08:56 AM. Reason: To correct some mistakes
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 01:00 PM   #15
pmwt
Enthusiast
pmwt began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo HD
thanks for such detail instructions. will try this out when i can get some time.
pmwt is offline   Reply With Quote