Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-30-2012, 10:20 AM   #61
elmblade43
elmblade43 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G, NookColor, Kindle Fire
Both Nook and Kindle?

Hey guys, I haven't yet bought my Potter books. Many of you have good points, but that spirited debate will have to wait. I just read this in the FAQ at the Pottermore Shop

Quote:
We have partnered with the following services to make it easy to send your Harry Potter eBook to your account. (Subject to reading service availability in your country.)

•Sony Reader online account (US and Canadian based customers only)
•Amazon Kindle (available in most countries)
•Barnes & Noble NOOK (US customers only)
•Google Play (This service is currently available in Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom, and the United States)
The accounts are linked during the download process. In order to set up a linked account, please go to 'My books', select one of your Harry Potter eBooks to download and choose your reading service. You can view these linked accounts by going to 'My shop account' then 'Linked accounts'. Please note you can link to one account per reading service.
The bolded sentence is what I want to hone in on, as you see in my devices I own two Kindles AND a Nook. It says you can link to one account of each reading service. Does that mean I can use one of my eight downloads to go to Kindle and one of them to go to Nook? Has anyone tried this?

If it means that then I hate to say it, all the arguments are irrelevant to me. Because Pottermore essentially made it so you can buy the book once and have it on any device. I plan on porting it to Nook, porting it to Kindle, AND downloading the non-DRM watermarked files for the future.
elmblade43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #62
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmblade43 View Post
The bolded sentence is what I want to hone in on, as you see in my devices I own two Kindles AND a Nook. It says you can link to one account of each reading service. Does that mean I can use one of my eight downloads to go to Kindle and one of them to go to Nook? Has anyone tried this?
Yes. I think there's a post in the other HP thread in the news section where someone has linked to multiple stores. However, it does require the store to be available in your area, for example B&N linking is restricted to US customers only.

Quote:
If it means that then I hate to say it, all the arguments are irrelevant to me. Because Pottermore essentially made it so you can buy the book once and have it on any device. I plan on porting it to Nook, porting it to Kindle, AND downloading the non-DRM watermarked files for the future.
Linking uses up one of your allowed 8 downloads (or was it 7?) so you can link to amazon + download the epub (to copy to any device you want) and still have 6 more downloads for the future (or 5 depending

Also, regarding backup, I thought the clause was so unusual that I contacted pottermore to get clarification. The response was

Quote:
that clause is meant to prevent public distribution of copyrighted materials; as far as you keep your ebooks for yourselves, you are allowed to perform backup operations.
Whilst I think they need to clarify their T&C and it's not like they'd pursue anyone (or be able to) over making a backup anyway, it does sound like they've just poorly worded it.

Last edited by JoeD; 03-30-2012 at 10:41 AM.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #63
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
It will soon be illegal to strip DRM in Canada, putting readers who want to protect their purchases in a very difficult spot
Last I heard, Canada was in the process of creating legislation to ensure that that kind DRM stripping was explicitly legal and protected. What has changed?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 10:37 AM   #64
elmblade43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeD View Post
Yes. I think there's a post in the other HP thread in the news section where someone has linked to multiple stores. However, it does require the store to be available in your area, for example B&N linking is restricted to US customers only.
You have made my WHOLE DAY.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #65
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
However, with Amazon, the linking is not geographically restricted.
So I bought the UK books with a UK credit card on Pottermore, but had no problems linking them to a US-based Amazon account.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2012, 11:07 AM   #66
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I bought the UK books as a gift for myself with a US credit card and linked them to my US based account.

Kindle Account = 1 download

There are folks at Kindle Boards who have the Harry Potter books in their Amazon accounts and on 12 devices (they intentionally put it on every Kindle and Kindle based App that their family owns in order to test the number of licenses). Amazon allowed it on all of their Kindle devices and Apps and it still only shows at Pottermore as 1 download.

So download does not equal license.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #67
elmblade43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I bought the UK books as a gift for myself with a US credit card and linked them to my US based account.

Kindle Account = 1 download

There are folks at Kindle Boards who have the Harry Potter books in their Amazon accounts and on 12 devices (they intentionally put it on every Kindle and Kindle based App that their family owns in order to test the number of licenses). Amazon allowed it on all of their Kindle devices and Apps and it still only shows at Pottermore as 1 download.

So download does not equal license.
I had read somewhere that porting to a reading service is one download even if that reading service filters it out to multiple devices. I like this because as I said before two kindles because some times I want e-ink screen and sometimes I don't.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #68
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Most Kindle books are limited to 6 licenses, Harry Potter seems to be unlimited.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #69
elmblade43

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Most Kindle books are limited to 6 licenses, Harry Potter seems to be unlimited.
OH! I've never gone past 4 (I have kinddle apps on my phone and computer and the two kindles) so I never knew there was a limit to begin with.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #70
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmblade43 View Post
OH! I've never gone past 4 (I have kinddle apps on my phone and computer and the two kindles) so I never knew there was a limit to begin with.
To clarify, there's no limit on the number of times you can download it, just on the number of different devices it can be loaded on simultaneously.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #71
RHWright
Addict
RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RHWright ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NOOK ST, Nexus 7
Quote:

Also, regarding backup, I thought the clause was so unusual that I contacted pottermore to get clarification. The response was

Whilst I think they need to clarify their T&C and it's not like they'd pursue anyone (or be able to) over making a backup anyway, it does sound like they've just poorly worded it.
They definitely need to state that plainly. 'Cause when push comes to shove, it's the words in the TOS that count, not some email to one person.
RHWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 11:37 AM   #72
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To clarify, there's no limit on the number of times you can download it, just on the number of different devices it can be loaded on simultaneously.
Yup. I should have said that.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:19 PM   #73
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Last I heard, Canada was in the process of creating legislation to ensure that that kind DRM stripping was explicitly legal and protected. What has changed?
Nothing. Victoria is in error as I understand the new law. The new law will, arguably, make it illegal to create DRM removal software for commercial use. But it will still allow us to format shift and backup for archival purposes, for personal use. For the best blog I know of on Canadian IP issues, I suggest Michael Geist's.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:39 PM   #74
JoeD
Guru
JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: na
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post
They definitely need to state that plainly. 'Cause when push comes to shove, it's the words in the TOS that count, not some email to one person.
I agree. However, since the term itself is pretty much unenforceable, I don't really care whether they update it or not. I just hope they do as it clearly doesn't say what they apparently meant it to say and comes across as a rather daft term.
JoeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 06:11 PM   #75
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I just bought the UK version of PS myself, from right here in Texas, by 'gifting' to a disposable sub-account of my regular email addy and sending the link there. I love the book and had no problems downloading. Already sent it through Calibre to shift for my Kindle and have the ePub for my kids' Sonys.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote