Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
lyric
Enthusiast
lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Save lots of money *and* make Kindle better

Hi everyone,

I am sure you, like me, have been disappointed with badly formatted and typo-ridden Kindle ebooks from Amazon.

My slightly facetious title has a serious point.

If we all *complain* and *demand a refund* when an ebook is in poor shape, not only will we get lots of money back from Amazon, we will also encourage publishers to get their act together.

I now demand a refund on every title which obviously has not been proof read. And I suggest you do too.

Publishers would never consider publishing on paper without proof reading, and yet they seem to think that this is unnecessary for ebooks - tell them no!
lyric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #2
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
I don't like badly formatted texts either.

I've only bought a few books though and they have been nicely formatted. I read a lot of indie books though and those can be atrocious.

I'll ask for refunds on badly formatted texts in the future though.

I do think that a system that allows you to read the book in its entirety before deciding to purchase is the better way to go, for now and the foreseeable future.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
very few books I have purchased have been poorly formatted. it seems to be mostly limited to freebies, and books from *other* places
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #4
lyric
Enthusiast
lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lyric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For me the formatting is the lesser problem (mainly just lack of chapter marks and weird TOC formatting) - but awful typos (and clear scanning errors) have been in almost every book I have bought - even recent / expensive ones!
Old 03-02-2011, 02:19 PM   #5
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Another option: review the content of the book and the quality of the kindle edition. For example, your title for the review could be: "Heartbreaking novel, horribly formatted for kindle." Then review the content on one hand and the formatting in detail on the other. This is VERY useful for the publisher, who can then read exactly what they need to do to improve the ebook version, and the next reader, who won't be tempted to buy that poorly formatted book.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
lyric
Enthusiast

Please note - that when Amazon refunds you, the book you bought is *removed* from the Kindle over Whispersync. So only do this if you are happy to lose the book!

(Yes there are workarounds, but let's not bother discussing them)
Old 03-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #7
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
In over 2 years I've only felt the need to return a book once.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:35 PM   #8
lyric
Enthusiast

Maybe I have been unlucky, or maybe I am just very sensitive to it. Scanning typos drive me round the bend!
Old 03-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I've returned one book since buying my K1. It was in Topaz format, and I just didn't like the font. I ended up buying it again anyway and putting up with it. I've hit a few typos, spelling and usage errors, usually at least one per book, sometimes several. And it's not limited to ebooks either. I see the same in print books.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:57 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I find typos in almost every printed book I buy, too. No need to pick on Kindle books. I think I've returned one ebook in two years.

Surely you're not reading the entire ebook and then asking for a refund? Because that's the only way I can see this practice ever saving you money.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-02-2011 at 03:02 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:15 PM   #11
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I find typos in almost every printed book I buy, too. No need to pick on Kindle books. I think I've returned one ebook in two years.

Surely you're not reading the entire ebook and then asking for a refund? Because that's the only way I can see this practice ever saving you money.
I agree - printed books were never perfect either. I would only send a Kindle book back to Amazon if the mistakes were throughout the book not just the odd typo or spelling mistake.
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:28 PM   #12
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
I think I notice typos more in print books now that I've gotten used to paying attention to them in Kindle versions.

But generally print book typos tend to be fairly mild: dropped punctuation, misspelling, a single dropped or added letter once in a while. While e-book typos can get very, very bad, simply due to poor OCR proofreading and careless use of auto-correct.

Most hilarious example I remember was from a library e-book on the history of US-style car racing (which was riddled with them), quoting from some guy named "R-emphasis Petty"*. I still wonder exactly what combination of scanning/software/conversion house mishaps could cause that.

Anyway, if the typos aren't bad enough to render the book unreadable (or very annoyingly readable), I'm more likely to fix them myself if the price was low.

Though I would request a return if they were seriously distracting to the point where I should just save my money and check out the library copy instead because the e-book version was clearly not providing value for money spent.

* Turned out to be this guy, who did a voice on Pixar's Cars.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #13
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
As an addendum, I think it also depends on what types of books you read. I myself only read fiction, so if there is a typo/mistake I can generally read around the problem and it doesn't affect my enjoyment or comprehension; obviously if you are reading technical or non-fiction books this may cause more issues.
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:43 AM   #14
Kitezh
Kitezh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
What I've noticed is not typos but variation of styles, including font and justification. There doesn't seem to be be a way of standardising this within the Kindle. It would be good to find a way of re-formatting Kindle ebooks to make them easier to read.
Kitezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:13 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Be careful - if you return an excessive number of items, you run the risk of having your account closed and losing access to all your books.

I agree that it would be dishonest to read the book and then request a refund.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote