Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-21-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
pyrokamileon
pyrokamileon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
is this legal?

is there a problem with me using an epub that I "found" online if I have the physical book in my bookshelf?
pyrokamileon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
By the letter of the law it's still illegal.
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #3
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
That would depend what the epub was, surely?

If it's in the public domain in your country, then no problem.

I'm guessing from the way the question's phrased however that it is illegal.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
It would, I suppose, depend on the copyright laws in your country.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrokamileon View Post
is there a problem with me using an epub that I "found" online if I have the physical book in my bookshelf?
It's illegal unless the ePub is public domain or has a creative commons license in your country.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
mpd123
Zealot
mpd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo / samsung note 10.1
there is no problem with you putting it on your device speaking in a purley technical sense that it will work and you will be able to read it.

but can you live with yourself afterwards?!?!?!?

mick.
mpd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #7
DavidF
DavidF began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Almost certainly illegal, but immoral ???

I have a few "aqquired" epubs of books that I own a physical paper copy of. I view this the same way I do my practice of buying a CD, ripping it to a file I then put on my ipod. (this is legal in some locations, but I believe it to be illegal in Australia)

On a related matter, I have just read that Penguin is suspending the availability of ebooks to libraries - have the publishers learnt nothing from the music industry ?

If people cannot do something legally, they may well do it illegally. Once they are in the habit of not paying for something, good luck in getting them to change
DavidF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:56 AM   #8
pyrokamileon
pyrokamileon began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Wifi
*sigh* well that sure is a buzzkill! I mean ever since I learned that you're legally allowed to make digital backups of music you buy I've never worried about downloading music when I have it's disc put away in my bedroom, I was pretty much doing the same for books but since I've never heard anyone say the same for books it always felt shady somehow.

if copyright laws are what would define the legality of these desicions then can someone please link me to a page where I can read up on the U.S. copyright laws?
pyrokamileon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:16 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrokamileon View Post
if copyright laws are what would define the legality of these desicions then can someone please link me to a page where I can read up on the U.S. copyright laws?
http://copyright.gov/title17/
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:07 PM   #10
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
It's an interesting question, and IANAL. However, I think it's entirely accademic. I don't think there's anyone trying to police or prosecute the possession of copyright material (other than computer software, but even in that case, they are focused on licensed usage.) However, distribution is, without doubt, a clear cut case of copyright violation, so your 'finding' might be both illegal and punisheable. If you download from a torrent, for example, or other file sharing scheme, then you become part of the distribution. No magic handwaving about backup/format shift will shield you from that.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:08 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Ok, let's look at this from another perspective.

You own a hardcover of a book. Are you entitled to the paperback for free? Nope.

You own a physical music CD. Should Apple send you the AAC files for that CD for free? Nope.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #12
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Your asking the wrong question. Take the music example. Apple is not obliged to send you the ACC, but you *are* allowed, by law, to make your own.

The questions that remain are:

1. Is it legal to break the law to achieve a legal end. (Can you download those ACC's instead of ripping your own. Answer is no. Unless you live in Canada (or other jurisdiction where music downloads are allowed,), but that has nothing to do with previous related ownership, and doesn't cover file sharing.

2. Since you've already broken the law downloading those ACC's, it is still illegal to keep them? This is the question that was asked, and is no doubt a mental wanking excersise for lawyers. I don't think there is a correct answer to this question until it's argued and decided upon by a judge in each jurisdiction. The decision of the judges and policymakers will be the correct answer, regardless of the merrits of any argument put forth.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:23 PM   #13
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
...Is it legal to break the law...
Isn't that an oxymoron?
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #14
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae
...Is it legal to break the law...

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Isn't that an oxymoron?
It's not legal to break the law but it IS legal to amend or repeal it.
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #15
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
It isn't legal, but in my opinion it isn't morally wrong.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote