Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-12-2011, 06:56 PM   #16
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
I don't recall seeing the reading app demonstrated either. I hope we are pleasantly surprised with a great app! However, I'm realistically thinking it won't be much better than what the Android and iPad apps are, but we can hope. After all, I think the reader app on the KFire is supposed to support KF8 formatting from the get go, so it probably isn't the standard Android app. Once again, who knows though as any thing can happen here.
I'm staying positive, thinking the Fire reading app wasn't ready for show.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #17
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
unforunatly the ipad/iphone version of the kindle app is much nicer than on my adroid phone (android 2.3.4) and my samsung galaxy tab (android 2.2.2) the IOS version is much closer to the N&N and Kobo readers than the android version. i WISHED that the kindle app was as good as the IOS version. im hoping that when kindle fire is released we get the nice ios version.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 07:07 PM   #18
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Ehh my money is on it being exactly the same. They'd want it to be, across platforms, it seems to me. I hope I'm wrong.

But to me, the sync feature is just too convenient to forego.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #19
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm back in the fold!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...14#post1829814
Old 11-13-2011, 01:12 AM   #20
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I decided to bail on you folks. I canceled my Fire order while it was in the Shipping Soon phase (surprised that option was available).
----
I think the only time they don't offer cancellation is when it is out of their hands like with a third party vendor. Even if it had come, you could have
1) refused it
2) call or online tell them you don't want it, and then refuse it.
3) sneak a peek, and if you don't like it, send it back with a complaint.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2011, 01:14 AM   #21
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Glad to have you back.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:56 AM   #22
SCION
Séduisant

I found a video snippet of the Fire reading app. It's in the Jeff Bezos presentation. It does appear to be the Kindle Android app. The menu icons look the same. If you use the Android app you'll recognize that. Page turn animation would have been nice. Oh well...lots of other stuff to be excited about. Look for the reading app at 37:25.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:34 AM   #23
LauretteBradley
Enthusiast
LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.LauretteBradley could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle reader on iPad and iPhone
My bet is that the reading experience is substantially better than the android app. Just a guess, but they want this to be a knock-your-socks-off experience. Look at how modified the browser is! (Which I highly doubt is a development intended just for the Fire, by the way.)

All ereaders have some OS underneath and for most it has been some form of Linux (true for previous Kindles). Linux and Android share a lot; Android was build on a Linux kernel. But that similarity of OS did NOT imply that early kindles were just like the android app. When it's their own hardware and version of the OS vendors can do plenty of interesting tweaks.
LauretteBradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:09 AM   #24
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Scion:

I understand your apprehension, I too was discouraged from the Fire due to CS telling me that it did not have the ability to run collections. So I decided to switch to the Touch for myself, the lack of collections and the loss of the eInk technology was two blows I wasn't willing to take. But instead of cancelling my Fire I decided to give it to the hubby as a Christmas present. This way I can test it and decide if I want to get one a little later since I plan on replacing my Galaxy Tab. I am hoping that the Fire will later if not now have the ability to use collections and use a better app than the K4Android app. While I too do not care for it I am also one who prefers the Amazon ecosystem and I try to do all my purchasing and syncing from them. With the cloud drive now having a backup of all my music files and I am trying to migrate all my usage over to Amazon, though I am still apprehensive about my video files and how I will be backing them up online, I think I will stick with dropbox for now.

Nyn
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:26 AM   #25
ilovegadgets
Connoisseur
ilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic somethingilovegadgets has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindles, iPad,Note 8, Note 3, iPhone 5,Sony 350& T1, Entourage PE & EE
Quote:
Right, I don't like the Android app. That doesn't mean that the Fire is using that, does it? No one knows. Have you seen the reading app? I've looked at the YouTube video of the gentleman doing the demonstration. He never opens a book.

The NOOKcolor/tablet doesn't make use of the Android app. There are similarities, but there are differences as well.
Scion,
I am right there with you concerning the reading app. It seemed very odd to me also that on the demo for the Fire, the gentleman demonstrating the fire did not open a book. Like you I am wondering if it is just the basic Kindle for Android app. I really like the Nook Color app, but my daughter has taken over my Nook Color because SHE really likes it too. : ) Like you, I am anxious to see reviews of the Fire. I totally support your decision to cancel your order and wait and see, yet I'm also disappointed that you canceled because I know you would have given a very thorough review.

Oops. Scion, Somehow, before posting I missed that you were once again going to buy it. I'm glad to hear it. I can't wait to read you review. : )

Last edited by ilovegadgets; 11-13-2011 at 12:49 PM.
ilovegadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:24 PM   #26
maxsassy
maxsassy began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, kindle
Why do you think reading a book on the Kindle will be any different on the Kindle Fire? I am totally confused. Is there anywhere that shows someone reading a book on the Kindle Fire?
maxsassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:04 PM   #27
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxsassy View Post
Why do you think reading a book on the Kindle will be any different on the Kindle Fire? I am totally confused. Is there anywhere that shows someone reading a book on the Kindle Fire?
Alot believe that reading a Kindle book on the Fire will be with the Kindle For Android App. I have to say after seeing the upgrade to the app store I am very optimistic they will be updating the Kindle app to have more features like collections personal documents cloud...etc.

I plan to use Mantano Reader app on my Fire as I find the current Kindle App lacking. If only they added a way to change the background color I might use it more.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:08 PM   #28
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
...If only they added a way to change the background color I might use it more.
Yeah, that's more problematic for me than the lack of formatting options. I thought the sepia would be great, like in many other apps, but it's not good. I don't know if it's the tone of the sepia they use or the light colored text (instead of black) on top of it. Mantano and the NOOK Android app got it right. I also like a grey background. I switch between sepia and grey in Mantano based on lighting conditions. Got hooked on the grey when I had my NOOKcolor. It's also in the NOOK Android app.

Last edited by SCION; 11-13-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #29
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Yeah, that's more problematic for me than the lack of formatting options. I thought the sepia would be great, like in many other apps, but it's not good. I don't know if it's the tone of the sepia they use or the light colored text (instead of black) on top of it. Mantano and the NOOK Android app got it right. I also like a grey background. I switch between sepia and grey in Mantano based on lighting conditions. Got hooked on the grey when I had my NOOKcolor. It's also in the NOOK Android app.
Oh I use a Grey background too! This a must for night time reading for me. I agree the Sepia is too bright. If we could darken the white background to grey using a slider it would be so much better.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:20 PM   #30
jswinden
Nameless Being

It seems there are several eBook reading apps that turn the text brown when in sepia mode. I suspect a lot of these apps are written by programmers who seldom read for pleasure. I'm still hoping that Amazon tweaked the eBook app for KFire as I no longer want to use another Android or iOS app since they cannot take advantage of Whispersync. To me the most important function is Whispersync and the ability to sync farthest page read, highlighting, notes, etc. Secondary to that is formatting. However, if formatting is so lackluster as to make reading a pain, then that will cause me to rethink any Kindle device. I can overcome the lackluster formatting on the Kindle E Ink readers. Unfortunately I cannot overcome it on the iPad due to the iPad's horrible text rendering engine and low resolution, which admittedly is an Apple issue rather than an Amazon issue. I hope I can overcome it on the KFire, or better still, I hope the formatting is good enough that it does not have to be overcome.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-13-2011 at 01:23 PM.