Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 10-13-2011, 07:26 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
"No Android Phones Associated with This Account" issue/problem

Well, I used an 8-gig Lexar SD card to root my nook, and wanted to download the Kindle android app.

I registered on Google and attempted to do the download, but I got this message: No android phones associated with this account."

I don't have an android phone, so what do I do next?

-- The android stuff is all new to me, so any information at this stage is more than helpful.

Thanks!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
It sounds to me like you're trying to install apps from the web browser. That's not going to work. For that you need to have "an android device associated to the account"

You need to install google apps.

Hang on bud your almost there to the glory that is CM7 on the nook

Quote:
[ROM][CM7] [v1.3] Size-agnostic SD Card image and CM7 installer for SD Cards

How to install market and gapps:
After you have booted into the CM7 on SD card for the first time and set up wifi access (important!)
Go to LATEST Google Apps <=X= Note: It's located at the bottom of the page>and at the end there is a table with various google apps versions. Get the one suitable for your cyanogen version (CM7 is the latest for now). The file is named gapps-gb-20110828-signed.zip

Shutdown your nook and take the SD card out, insert it into your computer.
Copy the gapps-... file to the SD card on the first partition (titled boot) without changing the file name.

Insert the uSD card back into the NOOK and boot into "Recovery mode" (hold nook N key and then press and hold power until the "Loading..." message appears and then disappears with screen going blank. Release power button, then press it again and hold for ~5 seconds, the bootloader "Loading..." message should be on the screen for three seconds or so before you release power button, keep holding N button until screen blanks again. If the screen went off while you were holding the power key, that means you were holding it for too long).

Alternatively if you do not want to fight the timing, boot normally into Android, then from desktop hold power key until a poweroff menu appears, In the poweroff menu choose "reboot", in the next menu choose "recovery" and press "OK". The nook would reboot straight into recovery.

To get the Amazon appstore navigate to this web site Amazon Appstore download

Getjar is another appstore and here is the website Getjar

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 10-13-2011 at 09:17 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is the apps version I have on there already:

gapps-gb-20110613-signed

(I should add this: I'm attempting to run things from the SD card. After getting into Cynogenmod7, I shut down everything and then copy/pasted the google apps above and then restarted the nook. Now, if that google apps is inappropriate, do I just download the other one and install it over the one that's already there? What process, exactly, do I need to do, since I already have a google apps version on the nook?)

Don
Old 10-14-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

I meant to add, also, that I tried to do all this from the nook and not from my computer.

The problem is that there IS no android associated with my Google account, which is probably why they want a phone number?

I already have things like Calendar, Calculator, clock, Settings, etc. - aren't these the Gapps?

When I go into Settings, and then Applications, then Manage Applications, on "Downladed," I'm showing no applications. However, when I go into "ALL," there's a lot listed. My Market Apps Installer" is version 1.0 ---- All of this is from the Gapps that I had already installed (if it really did install) - this one: gapps-gb-20110613-signed.) --- When I popped the SD card out of my nook and looked at the contents, I found that the Gapps was still in RAR format, as if it had never really installed in the first place. Is that correct?

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 10-14-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:10 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Okay I was not aware you already had the google apps. Yes you will not see the Google apps under "Downloaded" because they aren't. They are designed to be part of the core OS. "Downloaded" usually means apps downloaded by the Market.

Try the steps listed below(under 'TRY THIS FIRS'). If you still have problems accessing your Market, I recommend re-installing the google apps.

The way you install the google apps is the same way you install the ROM. Boot into the recovery. And use the menu options to install a zip package. I don't recall seeing the google apps in a RAR format, so that RAR file might not work in the Recovery app. What I would do is download the zip file from the link I provided and re-install the google apps.

What should happen then is when you boot your device you should get the setup wizard (in step 5 below) to associate your device to a google account. If that does not happen do it manually. This is done by following the steps below.

TRY THIS FIRST
Here are the steps.
YOU MUST HAVE INTERNET ACCESS FIRST

1) Go to your applications and find the "Settings" icon. It should look like a knob.
2) Select the "Accounts & Sync"
3) Select "Add account"
4) Select "Google"
5) Follow the setup wizard.
// You can create a new google account here or use an existing one.

=X=
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

I already have a Goggle account: I have a username and a password.

It's when I try to download the Kindle app from the Google market (using the browser on the nook, that it asks me for a phone number).

Don
Old 10-14-2011, 12:21 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Doing what you've suggested (in your latest post - let me take the time now to say THANKS!), I have this on my screen:

1) a place to put my email address
2) a place to put my password
3) the keyboard

There's nothing else.
----
I'm already able to get on the internet using my nook. It's just that I can't download any apps from the Google Market place because they keep wanting a phone number.

Don
Old 10-14-2011, 12:49 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard

Don going back to my original post. Are you trying to install apps from the browser? If you go to http://market.android.com. That is not the correct way.

The Market is an app. If you go to your applications you should see a "Market" app. You open that app up and that is how you install apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

1) a place to put my email address
2) a place to put my password
3) the keyboard

There's nothing else.
That's a good thing. Enter your Google email here and your password. This is how you register your device to Google. This is needed if you want to install apps from the market place.
=X=

Last edited by =X=; 10-14-2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
--- When I popped the SD card out of my nook and looked at the contents, I found that the Gapps was still in RAR format, as if it had never really installed in the first place. Is that correct?
Don
AFAIK, Android does not do RAR. Gapps is actually a package of muliple apps all contained in a ZIP wrapper. I have never seen it distributed as a RAR archive myself, but I think that it will have to be a ZIP to be installed by the Recovery installer.

With CM7, you should be able to install all the apps in gapps-gb-xxxxxxxx-signed.zip from the included ROM Manager app, where xxxxxxxx is the date stamp of the gapps package.

To install an App you must have it in APK format (appname.apk), which is actually a ZIP file with a specific structure for Android installs. The easiest way to get and install apps is with the Market app which should have been one of the apps in your gapps package.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

1) It's actually a WinRAR zip archive.

2) I've tried opening my account, and I get "Setup could not finish Unable able to open connection to server." I know my email is not wrong, so there must be some issue with the password, perhaps?

3) I'm just about to give up. But now I'm worried that if I bought an actual android tablet, that I won't be able to get onto Google in order to download apps.

Don
Old 10-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Ah okay, when you called it a RAR file you through me off.

Quote:
2) I've tried opening my account, and I get "Setup could not finish Unable able to open connection to server." I know my email is not wrong, so there must be some issue with the password, perhaps?
Are you using a google account, with a gmail address?

Also try rebooting and then re login.

One last thing you can try. Is during the setup wizard, it gives you a choice. Create a new account or login to an existing account. Try to create a new account.

Google allows multiple accounts per device so if this works we can work on getting your primary account to work later.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #12
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Then you should be able to install Gapps with the ROM Manager that comes with CM7. Gapps is not a single Android APK, so it's install differs from a normal APK install. It is done by the Recovery program that you can most easily access via ROM Manager.

Quote:
I assume that you know that it MUST be a Gmail account? Your Android setup must be able to connect with your Gmail account before you will be able to download applications from the Market.

Quote:
3) I'm just about to give up. But now I'm worried that if I bought an actual android tablet, that I won't be able to get onto Google in order to download apps.
Don
It is really very easy to download apps with CM7 once you are authenticated via your Gmail account, so once that is straightened out, and you have the Market app you should be golden.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 08:54 AM   #13
oppy
Connoisseur
oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.oppy knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nook Color
Not sure if this will make any difference, but you should also try installing the most recent gapps version - 20110828.
oppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:42 PM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Arggghh!

Apparently, my email account does not use Gmail.

I attempted to set one up, and got as far as the Terms of Service, and recieved this message:

"A problem occurred whle communicating with Google servers."

I tried about 4 times, always getting as far as the Terms of Service, and then tried to connect to Google servers. And just prior to that I got "Your phone needs to connect" message. I don't have a phone number listed with Google. No dice.

Don
Old 10-17-2011, 03:01 PM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

UPDATE:

I'm now on Google Market.

However, when I went to the Kindle Mobile, I see a message that says "My Device is Not Compatible With this Item."

Sheeeeeeeeeesh!

Don