Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-13-2011, 05:32 PM   #1
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Amazon Movie Rentals

Will we be able to rent movies for download directly to the Fire? As of now, you can only download rentals to a Windows PC or TIVO device. You get 48 hours to watch after pressing play so this would be an important feature when traveling with the children. I'm aware that all content can be streamed, but that's not an option all of the time.

Quote:
If you choose to download this rental, you can download it to one TiVo or one Windows PC ...
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #2
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Will we be able to rent movies for download directly to the Fire? As of now, you can only download rentals to a Windows PC or TIVO device. You get 48 hours to watch after pressing play so this would be an important feature when traveling with the children. I'm aware that all content can be streamed, but that's not an option all of the time.
You can also stream if you have GoogleTV. I have one and it works fine.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Netflix interfaces with my DVD/Blue Ray player. I wish Amazon would do the same - I'd probably drop Netflix and sign up for Amazon's Premium shipping deal and get the free access to some of their TV shows and movies.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:31 PM   #4
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Netflix interfaces with my DVD/Blue Ray player. I wish Amazon would do the same - I'd probably drop Netflix and sign up for Amazon's Premium shipping deal and get the free access to some of their TV shows and movies.
Are you sure your player isn't one of the compatible models?
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:05 AM   #5
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Some tv's do, too. I watch amazon stuff on my LG, with no extra equipment but my router.

Edit:
Sorry OP, I don'[t know the answer. I've never tried to store stuff that I stream
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 02:56 AM   #6
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
Are you sure your player isn't one of the compatible models?
Nope. It's a Samsung...not on the list.

Samsung "net app list" does have interfaces with Netflix, Vudu, Hulu, Facebook, etc., and they add new ones occasionally, so I'm hoping it'll show up sooner or later.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:49 AM   #7
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
Will we be able to rent movies for download directly to the Fire?
It looks like you'll be able to download the movies. From Fire's product page:

Quote:
Over 100,000 movies and TV shows, including thousands of new releases and your favorite TV shows, are available to stream or download, purchase or rent - all just one tap away.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 08:46 AM   #8
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
It looks like you'll be able to download the movies. From Fire's product page:
Do you know how many times I read that page?
Old 10-14-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I'm having second thoughts about what I posted earlier...

The wording on Fire's product page is actually not very precise. It does make it appear that movie rentals can be downloaded to a Fire, but the wording below from a particular movie's product page (click on "Learn more about renting and buying" under the 1-click options) does make me question that. It clearly states there that you can transfer an Amazon-purchased movie that you own to a portable device (I assume this would include the Fire), but not rentals:

Quote:
Rental: This is a 24-hour rental. You will have 30 days to complete watching this rental online or to download it. If you choose to watch this rental online, you can watch on a PC, Mac or compatible device. If you choose to download this rental, you can download it to one TiVo or one Windows PC and you will have 30 days from the date of purchase to begin watching your rental. Once you start to watch online or begin a download you cannot change your viewing choice. Rentals can't be transferred to a portable device or downloaded to a Mac.

Purchase: When you buy a video, your viewing rights do not expire (except as provided in our Terms of Use). You can watch a purchased video online and download it to 2 locations (TiVo DVRs & Windows PCs). You can also transfer a video you own to 2 portable devices. Note: Some new release movies will become unavailable for viewing or downloading for an unspecified period of time due to licensing restrictions. You will be notified about this before we process your order.
Like some other features of the Fire, we may not know for sure until after it's in the hands of users.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:56 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
I'm having second thoughts about what I posted earlier...

The wording on Fire's product page is actually not very precise. It does make it appear that movie rentals can be downloaded to a Fire, but the wording below from a particular movie's product page (click on "Learn more about renting and buying" under the 1-click options) does make me question that. It clearly states there that you can transfer an Amazon-purchased movie that you own to a portable device (I assume this would include the Fire), but not rentals:

Like some other features of the Fire, we may not know for sure until after it's in the hands of users.
Yes, I saw that as well. That's what I was going by which prompted me to ask the question about the Fire specifically. Since the Fire hasn't been released, I guess it's not surprising that it's not mentioned in the blurbs. Thank you.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #11
wuat
wuat began at the beginning.

Device: none
I really hope so, I'm going to order mine soon
wuat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:53 AM   #12
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Over 100,000 movies and TV shows, including thousands of new releases and your favorite TV shows, are available to stream or download, purchase or rent - all just one tap away. Amazon Prime members enjoy unlimited, commercial-free streaming of over 10,000 popular movies and TV shows.
Streaming Amazon video is one of the major features of the Fire, iirc.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:22 AM   #13
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
Streaming Amazon video is one of the major features of the Fire, iirc.
Right, but you can stream using any tablet with Flash. I want to be able to download content. That's why I'm getting 2 of them for the children. They can watch videos when we're on the road. Today you can only download to a Windows PC and TIVO.

Last edited by SCION; 10-16-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:48 PM   #14
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Right, but you can stream using any tablet with Flash. I want to be able to download content. That's why I'm getting 2 of them for the children. They can watch videos when we're on the road. Today you can only download to a Windows PC and TIVO.
This would be a nice feature.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #15
SGATL
SGATL began at the beginning.

Device: none
I needed to know the ame thing. On their website for movies it states that you can download a movie you buy to portable device but can only download rental movies to a PC or TIVO. So I specifically called Amazon today. They confirmed the same thing they said you will not be able to download rented movies you can only stream rental movies (which does you no good when there is no wi-fi connection, like on a plane or the road with kids) for this reason Think I am going to buy a refurb Ipad from apple site (same warranty as a new one).
SGATL is offline   Reply With Quote