Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-24-2011, 03:44 PM   #16
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool don't

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm deliberately avoiding the TV series until after I've read the books.
don't, the only episode that follows any of the books is #8 storm front which was originally the pilot and it was severely cut down to fit in as an episode. the other episodes use some characters and story points, but don't really follow any book. i'd already seen all of the tv episodes and that's what started me on the books. if anything just avoid #8, but i don't think that that's even necessary or at all important. imho
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:47 PM   #17
chrisanthropic
Fiend
chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm deliberately avoiding the TV series until after I've read the books.
I found the TV show enjoyable and funny as hell. They made quite a few changes but cast it well and I think it was a good reinterpretation for TV.
chrisanthropic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-24-2011, 03:54 PM   #18
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool yup

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisanthropic View Post
I found the TV show enjoyable and funny as hell. They made quite a few changes but cast it well and I think it was a good reinterpretation for TV.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #19
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Is there such a thing as an omnibus of this series that doesn't have an insane price on it? I decided to check it out at Amazon and the kindle version of omnibus' that contain 1-6 and 7-12 run about $60.00. Who can afford that?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #20
chrisanthropic
Fiend
chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisanthropic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Agreed, I saw the price of the ebooks and nearly shat myself. I pay roughly $15 or so for them when they first come out in hardcover so paying $10 for an ebook version seems rather ridiculous.

BUT - that's a different topic for a different thread. Unfortunately those seem to be your only option for now.
Advert
Old 08-24-2011, 06:31 PM   #21
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Is there such a thing as an omnibus of this series that doesn't have an insane price on it? I decided to check it out at Amazon and the kindle version of omnibus' that contain 1-6 and 7-12 run about $60.00. Who can afford that?
They are $9.99 each separately. So you do save a few cents buying individually at $59.94 and you don't have to come up with all the money up front.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:42 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've just noticed that we have a new definition of what a mass market paperback is. Penguin feels the MMPB can also include those abominations that are taller and thinner then a proper MMPB. Penguin also feels that $9.99 is OK for a MMPB. That's absurd. That is NOT a MMPB. I'm not sure what to call it other then an abomination. It feels off in my hands and it doesn't fit in a lot of bookcases.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:54 PM   #23
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Two of the 5 digital libraries I belong to are offering the Dresden omnibus editions...you could always check there until prices drop...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #24
chrisanthropic
Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Two of the 5 digital libraries I belong to are offering the Dresden omnibus editions...you could always check there until prices drop...
Oooh, I did'nt even think about that - good call!
Old 08-24-2011, 08:18 PM   #25
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Sounds interesting. Where are they? I don't know too many digital library sites for current books.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:43 PM   #26
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Sounds interesting. Where are they? I don't know too many digital library sites for current books.
There is one in Wisconsin open to residents of Green County. They have Storm Front but there is a waiting list.

http://dbooks.wplc.info/CAB8C601-3BD...en/default.htm
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:06 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
There is one in Wisconsin open to residents of Green County. They have Storm Front but there is a waiting list.

http://dbooks.wplc.info/CAB8C601-3BD...en/default.htm
But it's rather useless as it's PDF.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:38 AM   #28
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
They aren't just long coats, they are made from oil cloth, which is pretty much what it sounds like - always slightly damp. But great at keeping you getting wet in a rainstorm.

Unfortunately, after about 10 years they dry up.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 11:40 AM   #29
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool leather

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
They aren't just long coats, they are made from oil cloth, which is pretty much what it sounds like - always slightly damp. But great at keeping you getting wet in a rainstorm.

Unfortunately, after about 10 years they dry up.
harry's second coat is leather (replaces his original coat, destroyed during a fight, iirc)

Last edited by alansplace; 08-25-2011 at 07:13 PM. Reason: fix picture
Old 08-25-2011, 11:45 AM   #30
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Harry, there's a vast gap in your entertainment upbringing !

Clint "The Man with No Name" hardly took his off - and Lee Van Cleef slept in his many a time ................

Personally, I think it's just 'cos they're always......dusty.
I don't think Clint is associated with a duster. Maybe a poncho?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote