Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-05-2010, 01:55 PM   #61
Gunnerp245
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubulor
...Hopi. Prediction: you're going to be told that they're a small startup that can't afford to pay tech support on weekends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
This is not helpful to a user seeking help, Chubulor
Unfortunately it is the truth...

Last edited by Gunnerp245; 12-05-2010 at 01:57 PM.

Old 12-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #62
Hopi
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
How very strange that it took that long yet ended up completing. Trust me - it should only have taken 5-10 minutes

Having the offline update.zip on an attached USB key, or on the SD card, during a normal online update can cause the eDGe to endlessly patch and reboot.

All you need to do is delete the update.zip you downloaded. You can leave the USB key in the eDGe and go to the "Storage" app, tap on "USB0", tap and hold the update.zip and delete. Perhaps enTourage has updated the update procedure to delete the update.zip for you, so the file may not be there, in which case you're done.

It's better to delete the file than have it haunt you down the road
Thanks Boris. I did that (delete the zip file). I emailed TS seeking for an explanation about the long update and the frozen LCD and am awaiting their reply. It's just fortunate that it completed the upload after all that time. But it has shaken my faith in the reliability of the product somehow. An explanation to help me understand what happened and how to avert it would really help.

I really appreciate your rational take on all of this. It nicely balances Chubulor's skepticism . Both points of view are valuable for a healthy exchange of information. Thanks also Chubulor for your caution about prematurely aborting the update. It came just in time.

I have several gadgets but the eDGe community really wins hands down on the support front. It's nice to be part of it.

Advert
Old 12-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #63
Dr. T
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eberhardt333 View Post
They said it was a known issue that they could replicate. Supposedly based on how you write, but I don't think I write that different. Anyway they gave me the link to download 1.6 but I followed the instructions and I can't get it to update. But they are closed so I guess I will email tomorrow. Here is the link in case you want to try it. If you get it to work let me know. They said wait for the new update before updating again and the issue should be resolved.

1. Download update.zip fhttp://www.entourageedge.com/support/rsc/updates/edingo-1.6/update.zip to your PC. To download the file, copy the link and paste it into a browser. Your download should begin automatically.

2. Copy update.zip file to a USB storage device. Do not put it in a folder when it is on one of those devices.

3. Shut down the eDGe and remove any microSD card. If the mini-USB cable is connected, disconnect the mini-USB connector as well.

4. Insert the USB device that has update.zip into the eDGe.

5. Press and hold the menu button and the rotate button. (The menu button is located at the top right of the color screen. The rotate button is the 3rd button down, marked with a circular arrow).

6. While still holding the menu button and rotate button, slide the power switch over to turn on the eDGe.

7. Release the menu and rotate buttons 4-5 seconds after turning on the power.

8. During boot up, the eDGe should display a splash screen indicating it is installing the update. Wait for the eDGe to finish updating. Once complete, the eDGe will reboot on its own and should start normally.

Please let me know if you have any trouble with the above procedure. After the update completes please ensure the update.zip file is removed from the SD card or USB storage device used to update the eDGe. If that file is present during a future over the air update it may cause additional issues.
I've tried this many times, yet I never get the update splash screen, and I still have Dingo 1.10. I'll call tech support tomorrow, but I was wondering if any of you had a suggestion for me to try. Any thoughts? Could a different USB device make a difference?

Old 12-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #64
Hopi
Edge User

dingo 1.10 upgrade after-effect?? - black vertical line down the e-ink side

Hi! Has anyone noticed a black line running down the e-ink side? My upgrade to dingo 1.10 is not a day old yet and I have not noticed this prior to upgrading. I noticed it just now (less than 24 hours after upgrade), soon after I viewed google free books on the e-ink side. Now there is an ugly hair-thin black line running down the length of the screen three inches from the side with the buttons. It's there whether I go to the reader annotator mode or open journals, pdfs, epub, pages grabbed from the internet, the edGe manual.

I have not dropped my device nor placed something heavy on top. It is usually folded out flat on the table when I use it. Should I be alarmed or wait and see if it will go away? I have already shut off and booted up the device. It's still there.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #65
borisb
Edge User

Make sure there's no update.zip anywhere else on your system - SD card, internal storage, etc. Check the .cache folder I think as that's where I believe the enTourage update process puts its zip (although I think it deletes it afterwards, so it may not be there).

Ultimately, enTourage will give you the best suggestion on Monday.

Advert
Old 12-05-2010, 05:39 PM   #66
Hopi
Edge User

where can i find the cache folder

[QUOTE=borisb;1585355]Make sure there's no update.zip anywhere else on your system - SD card, internal storage, etc. Check the .cache folder I think as that's where I believe the enTourage update process puts its zip (although I think it deletes it afterwards, so it may not be there).QUOTE]

Thanks. Did all of the above except for the .cache folder. Where can I find it? I've looked at the internal storage; no folder of that name. I used ES file explorer to find the update.zip file and it came up empty.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:47 PM   #67
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopi View Post
I have not dropped my device nor placed something heavy on top. It is usually folded out flat on the table when I use it. Should I be alarmed or wait and see if it will go away? I have already shut off and booted up the device. It's still there.
Just contact Tech Support on Monday and let them know of the problem. Could be a defect in the screen.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #68
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Did all of the above except for the .cache folder. Where can I find it? I've looked at the internal storage; no folder of that name. I used ES file explorer to find the update.zip file and it came up empty.
In ES File Explorer, the path is "/cache". Sounds like it's not there. So, contact Tech Support on Monday

Old 12-05-2010, 06:22 PM   #69
Hopi
Edge User

Thanks boris. I found the cache but its empty. and i ran the search in ES File explorer for "all zip files" in all folders, the update.zip file is not found also. So I guess it's safe to say that it's not anymore in the device.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:32 PM   #70
borisb
Edge User

Good. Talk to Tech Support tomorrow morning and see what they say about the line.

Old 12-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #71
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Hi! Has anyone noticed a black line running down the e-ink side?
That line probably has nothing to do with anything you did; it may be a negative ink charge - kind of stuck there. I had to have my nook replaced for a similar issue.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:00 PM   #72
Hopi
Edge User

Does the company foot shipping charges for repairs/replacement?

Thank you for the info Cheyenne. I have sent an email to TS about the line and will await what they have to say.

But in case I have to send back the unit for repair or replacement, will they refund the charges for shipping (two-way or one-way)? How long before I get my unit back? Will I have to pay the VAT again for the incoming unit? I'm in the UK.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:30 PM   #73
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Thank you for the info Cheyenne. I have sent an email to TS about the line and will await what they have to say.

But in case I have to send back the unit for repair or replacement, will they refund the charges for shipping (two-way or one-way)? How long before I get my unit back? Will I have to pay the VAT again for the incoming unit? I'm in the UK.
Unfortunately I can't answer those questions, as I don't know how International sales are handled. I know that they covered postage here in the US.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:56 PM   #74
Hopi
Edge User

Thanks just the same. I will have to work it out with the TS people then.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:35 AM   #75
Dr. T
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. T View Post
I've tried this many times, yet I never get the update splash screen, and I still have Dingo 1.10. I'll call tech support tomorrow, but I was wondering if any of you had a suggestion for me to try. Any thoughts? Could a different USB device make a difference?
I decided just to give a different USB drive a shot, and it worked! I'm back to Dingo 1.6! Annotation of PDFs is working very well again!
I'm not sure what the USB drive had to do with my inability to update, but I thought I should post my experience in case anyone else runs into the problem. Oh, and by the way, the update on my EE only took about 5 minutes.