Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #31
Dr. T
Edge User

If I do the same line drawing test with "Quick Draw" unchecked, the line refreshes at the normal non-quickdraw rate, but the whole page still refreshes. The timing is much longer, however, refreshing every 10-14 seconds instead of every 5.5-6.

Old 12-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #32
borisb
Edge User

Ah, okay. We'll have to wait, then, and see what Tech Support says. If you email techsupport@entourageedge.com, you'll receive a tracking ticket email so you can be notified up updates to the ticket. Also, some people find email quicker to respond to than a voicemail.

Advert
Old 12-02-2010, 02:56 PM   #33
Dr. T
Edge User

I just reported it by email also... I'll post any responses I receive (including, if applicable, instructions to get back to Dingo 1.6).

Also, I'm not sure if this matters, but the EE needed two tries to download the update. I thought it had downloaded it all the first time, so I told it to install, and it restarted, but I still had Dingo 1.6. Tried the update procedure again, and it all worked. Weird.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:33 PM   #34
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. T View Post
Also, I'm not sure if this matters, but the EE needed two tries to download the update.
I had that problem with the upgrade to Dingo-1.6.

Old 12-02-2010, 04:50 PM   #35
Dr. T
Edge User

I got a call back from tech support at 3:30P (< 30 min response time!).

Apparently, they were trying to fix some of the ghosting that occurred in previous versions of the software and got "too aggressive with it." They are aware of the problem and will be rolling out an update "earlier than anticipated" to fix the software problem. Interestingly, they said that the refreshing problem depends, in part, on the writer. From the way I interpreted the message, this means that perhaps writing slower, larger, etc. may prevent the problem. It also may explain why not all users are experiencing the problem. They're going to follow up with me in the next few days for instructions to roll back to 1.6 should that be necessary.

I hope this helps anyone experiencing the problem.

Advert
Old 12-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #36
borisb
Edge User

Thanks for posting that - helps when we hear that they're aware and working on it

Sort of reminds me of the keyboard/screen sensitivity issues they worked on at the beginning. It got a bit worse before it got really quite good (the current keybaord sure does work well!).

Old 12-02-2010, 05:13 PM   #37
eberhardt333
Edge User

They said it was a known issue that they could replicate. Supposedly based on how you write, but I don't think I write that different. Anyway they gave me the link to download 1.6 but I followed the instructions and I can't get it to update. But they are closed so I guess I will email tomorrow. Here is the link in case you want to try it. If you get it to work let me know. They said wait for the new update before updating again and the issue should be resolved.

1. Download update.zip fhttp://www.entourageedge.com/support/rsc/updates/edingo-1.6/update.zip to your PC. To download the file, copy the link and paste it into a browser. Your download should begin automatically.

2. Copy update.zip file to a USB storage device. Do not put it in a folder when it is on one of those devices.

3. Shut down the eDGe and remove any microSD card. If the mini-USB cable is connected, disconnect the mini-USB connector as well.

4. Insert the USB device that has update.zip into the eDGe.

5. Press and hold the menu button and the rotate button. (The menu button is located at the top right of the color screen. The rotate button is the 3rd button down, marked with a circular arrow).

6. While still holding the menu button and rotate button, slide the power switch over to turn on the eDGe.

7. Release the menu and rotate buttons 4-5 seconds after turning on the power.

8. During boot up, the eDGe should display a splash screen indicating it is installing the update. Wait for the eDGe to finish updating. Once complete, the eDGe will reboot on its own and should start normally.

Please let me know if you have any trouble with the above procedure. After the update completes please ensure the update.zip file is removed from the SD card or USB storage device used to update the eDGe. If that file is present during a future over the air update it may cause additional issues.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:14 PM   #38
Chubulor
Edge User

Quote:
They said it was a known issue that they could replicate.
This is why I will never again upgrade my Edge until there's some significant benefits to doing so (sorry, book cover icons are not sufficient). It appears they don't even bother testing their updates on real devices for bugs and performance decreases; if they can replicate the bug now, why didn't they replicate it before releasing the upgrade? Seriously, what ARE they doing during these months between upgrades?

Old 12-02-2010, 05:27 PM   #39
borisb
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eberhardt333 View Post
1. Download update.zip fhttp://www.entourageedge.com/support/rsc/updates/edingo-1.6/update.zip to your PC. To download the file, copy the link and paste it into a browser. Your download should begin automatically.
http://www.entourageedge.com/support...1.6/update.zip downloads the file for me - try again?

Old 12-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #40
goldy319
Edge User

borisb, how do you install " my settings", & also how do you get the update wizard that you said you got with the new update. you can tell i'm really new to this. thanks again.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:51 PM   #41
borisb
Edge User

Not a problem! You'll quickly become a wiz

You can get the "MySettings" app by navigating to this URL on your eDGe: http://www.slideme.org/application/mysettings. Tap the "Download" button. When the APK file has completed downloading, tap it to install it. You'll then find the application among the rest of the Applications installed on your eDGe. If you want to place a shortcut on your home screen, read http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...e-Home-Screens.

The update wizard is the "Update" application in the Applications. Just tap it and it will launch and check for any available updates. If you have the full-sized eDGe, you have to update to 1.10 before the new wizard is available to you. See these instructions for updating a full-sized eDGe prior to Dingo 1.10: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...blems-Updating (see the instructions under "Problem 1").

Old 12-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #42
Dr. T
Edge User

Quote:
They said it was a known issue that they could replicate. Supposedly based on how you write, but I don't think I write that different. Anyway they gave me the link to download 1.6 but I followed the instructions and I can't get it to update. But they are closed so I guess I will email tomorrow. Here is the link in case you want to try it. If you get it to work let me know. They said wait for the new update before updating again and the issue should be resolved.

2. Copy update.zip file to a USB storage device. Do not put it in a folder when it is on one of those devices.

3. Shut down the eDGe and remove any microSD card. If the mini-USB cable is connected, disconnect the mini-USB connector as well.

4. Insert the USB device that has update.zip into the eDGe.

5. Press and hold the menu button and the rotate button. (The menu button is located at the top right of the color screen. The rotate button is the 3rd button down, marked with a circular arrow).

6. While still holding the menu button and rotate button, slide the power switch over to turn on the eDGe.

7. Release the menu and rotate buttons 4-5 seconds after turning on the power.

8. During boot up, the eDGe should display a splash screen indicating it is installing the update. Wait for the eDGe to finish updating. Once complete, the eDGe will reboot on its own and should start normally.

Please let me know if you have any trouble with the above procedure. After the update completes please ensure the update.zip file is removed from the SD card or USB storage device used to update the eDGe. If that file is present during a future over the air update it may cause additional issues.
Do you think this process will work for both the PE and the EE? I have the latter and would like to revert to 1.6, but haven't received instructions from tech support.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #43
borisb
Edge User

The process is the same for both, but the ZIP file you need to download would be different.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #44
Dr. T
Edge User

Ah, I see. And, do we know if this one is for the EE or the PE? Since it described "sliding" the power switch, I assumed it would be for the PE since the EE has a push button.

Thanks boris!

Old 12-03-2010, 03:00 PM   #45
borisb
Edge User

eberhardt333 mentioned grading papers:

Quote:
I just updated and something weird is going on with the writing aspect of the reader side. I am trying to grade papers submitted online and they send them in PDF format.
which suggests this is the large eDGe. Also, the name of the zip has an "e" prefixed to "dingo", which also suggests the enTourage eDGe as opposed to the Pocket eDGe.

If anyone is considering this downgrade, I recommend you contact Tech Support to describe your problem first and then get the latest assistance from them. If something goes wrong, you'll be contacting them anyway