Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Eon by Greg Bear

Eon by Greg Bear

Gret Bear has carved out a niche for himself among the "hard science fiction" crowd. I've enjoyed every book by Bear including the Darwin's Children series, Forge of God series and his contribution to Issac Asimov's Foundation series.

Eon seems to be Bear's attempt at Clark's "Rendevous with Rama" or Niven's "Ringworld". A mysterious asteriod comes into Earth's orbit. It turns out to be an artifact from our own future - a huge asteriod with 7 chambers carved out from inside...chambers large enough to hold cities of tens of millions.

The book is a bit schizophrenic. The first half is a "US vs. Russia" space adventure. The book was written in 1985 before the fall of the Berlin Wall. It holds up well...actually kind of fun to remember the days when Russia was our number 1 feared enemy. Then the second half of the book brings in aliens and alternate dimensions and futuristic earth descendants who might as well be aliens.

It's a good read. I hesitate to put this in the hard science category as the "science" is so far out there, IMHO, as to be just "science as prop" rather than "sci fi story with real science underpinnings". Doesn't take away from the story...it's just one more of the many reasons it's hard to put this book into an easy box.

It's a good book, enjoyable but certainly not a "must read".

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #2
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I remember reading this book a while back and thought it was pretty good. I agree with your "science as a prop" assessment though that didn't detract too much from my enjoyment.

I also remember liking his Moving Mars book.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2011, 11:27 AM   #3
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
I remember reading this book a while back and thought it was pretty good. I agree with your "science as a prop" assessment though that didn't detract too much from my enjoyment.
I mention that only because he's considered a "hard science fiction" author, as opposed to folks that use science as if it were magic. But THIS book, I just don't think we have anything near the scientific justification for this to be "hard science". Means nothing in terms of "is this a fun story to read".

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
I also remember liking his Moving Mars book.
Don't think I read that one.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:42 AM   #4
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
His book Blood Music was a good read, if a bit short. It was a fascinating premise, that presaged a lot of cyberpunk ideas. I wish he'd developed it with more depth though.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
I read Eon in hi school and loved it, and have toyed with going back to it, but I know the magic will be gone now and just hate to ruin that mystique.

Fond memory.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert