Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #256
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Just completed "Quarter Share" and am now reading "Half Share" by Nathan Lowell, and I am loving this series!
I'm always willing to check out new Space Opera, especially when its Kobo couponable!
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:35 AM   #257
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
Has anyone done a complete Liaden chronology of all the novels and short stories?

The first of the Liaden books I read was Fledgling. Had never heard of the series. Then I went looking for more and was surprised to find there was so much more.

I found the timeline order of the novels then re-started with Crystal Soldier and am now started on Saltation, which apparently at least partly parallels I Dare. I'd like to go through all the shorts in order when I'm done with the novels.

Having read Fledgling already, I was constantly picking up things here and there from earlier in the timeline that made better sense out of things in that book.
Spoiler:
But it didn't click that Davv was Theo's father until Kamele introduced herself to "Prof. Kiladi!" Of all the things to forget from reading ahead.

I like to find huge series of stories then read them all in chronological order. I resisted "Potter" until the 7th book was out, then read the lot in two weeks.

Earlier this year I organized all the Pern stories and read them all in order (first time I've ever read ALL of them) and have also assembled all the Dresden Files short stories into one file with notes when to read each novel. But that's for when I'm done with the Liaden series.

I did the same with all the Vorkosigan books, then read Capt. Vorpatril's Alliance, which is sorta wedged back in between some of the earlier books, so next time I go through the series, that one will be read in its spot in line.

One reason why I do this is I like to see how authors handle zeerust when reality outpaces their "futuristic" world where things like cellphones for everyone don't exist, or a 512 megabyte portable storage gizmo is high capacity and expensive*, so they can't just have a prequel with radically different stuff in it unless there's a major break that's woven perfectly into the story - like with Crystal Soldier and Crystal Dragon.

*See Ian Douglas' nine book space marines series. At least the first three are full of already bypassed tech.
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #258
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
No, I haven't made such a list, I came to them in a rather haphazard fashion after I read the main story arc. You might want to check out Wiki, I think there's some sort of listing there.

================

Just a reminder that the audiobook version of "The Tomorrow Log" will be available on Audible on Dec. 3, 2013.

Quote:
Meanwhile, on another side of the Universe. . .Meet Gem ser'Edreth, a wizard with electronics -- and a freelance thief. Deliberately solitary, unencumbered by family or friends, he immerses himself in his profession, rising to a pinnacle of skill so exalted that the planetary crime boss seeks him out with a commission to steal. Refusing the commission, of course, is his first mistake.

Gem's hidden past proves an unexpected liability and his plants to leave the planet go catastrophically awry. Suddenly embroiled in interplanetary politics, a potential interstellar war, and in possession of an ancient object of power an an unwanted cousin, Gem discovers that the mysterious Witness for the Telios may hold the key to his salvation -- or his undoing.
I've got mine pre-ordered.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:20 PM   #259
baewards
baewards began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
There is a website from the UK called Fantastic Fiction which has the most complete coverage of any writer in sf, fantasy, mystery, and I don't know how many other genres.

According to them 'Conflict of Honors' is the first of the Liaden series.

When I find a book that's part of a series, I always try to go back to the beginning book and read them in order.

If you have any luck finding 'Conflict of Honors', please let me know. I've tried everything except ABE books and it's like
baewards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:35 PM   #260
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by baewards View Post
There is a website from the UK called Fantastic Fiction which has the most complete coverage of any writer in sf, fantasy, mystery, and I don't know how many other genres.

When I find a book that's part of a series, I always try to go back to the beginning book and read them in order.

If you have any luck finding 'Conflict of Honors', please let me know. I've tried everything except ABE books and it's like
Took me about 30 seconds to find it at Baen. $5 for the eBook.

http://www.baenebooks.com/p-594-conflict-of-honors.aspx

You can even set things up for Baen to email the book directly to your Kindle if you like.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2013, 11:41 PM   #261
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:

Conflict of Honors is part of the The Dragon Variation (omnibus). Baen Amazon B&N

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:42 PM   #262
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:

I love Fantastic Fiction, but in this case I personally wouldn't follow their order. Not that it's wrong or anything (they generally always list stuff in published order), there are multiple "orders" for this series. I personally followed the one posted in post #2 of this thread.

Anyway, the ebook is available from Baen for $5...
http://www.baenebooks.com/p-594-conflict-of-honors.aspx

...but, a better deal is The Dragon Variation omnibus which includes Local Custom, Scout's Progress & Conflict of Honors (which is the order I'd read them in) for $8.99...
http://www.baenebooks.com/p-1188-the...variation.aspx
or $7.73 from Amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Variati.../dp/B00APA4LBO

Paper book at Amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Variati.../dp/B00APA4LBO

Last edited by AnemicOak; 11-30-2013 at 11:45 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #263
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
And, on the whole question of reading order, I'd start here...

http://sharonleewriter.com/correct-reading-order/

If I were new to Liad, I would certainly start in publication order. As someone doing a re-read, I rather enjoy doing it in chronological order. But that is not my preference for starting with the series. (The two Crystal books are very much prequels and better read after you've got a feel for what comes after, IMHO. OTOH, you can easily start with Balance of Trade, which is well before Conflict of Honors or Agent of Change.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:08 AM   #264
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since this one is for fans I figure its better here than in the Freebies Forum.

Five chances to win a free Trade Secret audiobook

Quote:
To help us celebrate Trade Secret and our 25th year of Liaden publication please share with us your first Liaden experience — and how many titles you’ve read since then — and we’ll randomly select 5 lucky responders for a free Trade Secret audio book courtesy of Audible! We’ll be selecting winners based on replies received by midnight Friday,December 6 (our time in snowy Maine). You’ve got 5 shots — tell us how you got started in the Liaden Universe®!
Old 12-03-2013, 11:30 AM   #265
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And, while not Liaden, it's certainly VERY much the work of Sharon Lee -- the eArc of Carousel Sun is available at BaenEbooks.com.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #266
CRussel
(he/him/his)

The Tomorrow Log

OK, I just finished listening to The Tomorrow Log, by Sharon Lee & Steve Miller, while also reading the eBook. This is not, specifically, Liaden, though it certainly could be the same universe.

Protagonist is Gem ser'Edreth, a thief and electronics wizard who was sold as a child by his ship to a grounder, master thief Edreth. Now his ship has sent Corbyne Faztherot to reclaim him to the ship as the Captain pre-ordained in the Tomorrow Log. But meanwhile he's caught up in the machinations of the local druglord, Sazony Belaconto, and has been "Chosen" by the Trident, a semi-sentient artifact, complete with its very own Witness.

Highly recommended, I simply could not put it down. It does end fairly abruptly, but all the major threads are more or less tied off. However, it definitely gave me the feeling that I'd love to hear more of the adventures of Gem ser'Edreth.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #267
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The sequel was to have been "Web of the Trident".

What's interesting is to read now that the authors say that it was never written and will never be written, when Amazon had already had it up on its website for advance orders back in 2007, when it was supposed to be published. I had had it on advance-order. It was part of the Meisha Merlin crash.

This had been the blurb for it:

Quote:
Armed with the potent and temperamental weapon of a Goddess-in-exile, backed by a twice-born woman legend — or is it history? — named Death's Warrior, Master Thief Gem ser Edreth must lead a reluctant generation ship crew and a far too-eager band of aboriginal warriors against a climate-killing dam constructed and defended by the cream of space-going technology. Gem's clever electronic spiders, and the information contained in an old library may be the key to victory over the planet's oppressors, but Gem faces yet another problem: the ancient power residing within the Trident is waking, and it has an agenda of its own.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:08 PM   #268
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Clearly it's one of those things that got caught up in the mess that was Meisha Merlin. And also, clearly, the authors (I suspect especially Ms. Lee) have moved on to other things. They have 5 more books under contract, and not a single one of them is outside of the core Liaden Universe story arc. Given the schedules for these, I don't expect to see all that many side projects for a while. OTOH, nothing like stellar sales to change both an author's and an editor's mind on a book. :P

I had read this a while back, when I bought ALL the old ebook-only editions that Baen put out for earlier stories and such. (You know the ones I mean, the ones with the UGLY covers.) But then hadn't circled back around to re-read it until the new Audible version came out. I was taken with it all over again. I'm sorry there won't be any more, but perfectly understand the authors' desire to actually put food on the table and support the Cat Farm.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #269
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
OTOH, nothing like stellar sales to change both an author's and an editor's mind on a book. :P
We can only hope.

I've been waiting for the continuation of that story since I read it in 2002.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #270
artifact
Addict

Upcoming release alert: January 15, 2014: “The Gift of Music,” free to read on Baen.com. I -think- this is set in Sharon Lee's Carosel Sun universe. Anyone else remember for sure?

Works published in 2013
(don't forget the Hugo nominations if you have a vote!)

Novel:
Necessity’s Child, Baen, February 2013
Trade Secret, Baen, November 2013

Novelette:
“Eleutherios,” Baen.com, January 2013
“Moon’s Honor,” Splinter Universe, February 2013

Short Story:
“Out of True,” Baen.com, October 2013