Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 05-01-2011, 12:46 AM   #1
Carriebear
Polar Bear
Carriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Nook Color (rooted), iPod Touch (jailbroken)
Satisfied with Unrooted Nook?

When I purchased the Nook Color this year, my main reason for it was that I have glaucoma and eInk just didn't work for me, because I have to have very dim lighting. Now, I have a jailbroken iPod, so when I heard you could "jailbreak" the Nook, I was all over that. I was like a kid in a candy store with the apps, downloading any and every (free) thing.

But then something went wrong with my Nook's display and I had to unroot. Now I'm on the newest Nook update and... I have no desire to re-root or run CM7. I think it's because for me, the stock Nook is just fine, even though I love bells and whistles. I can check my email, listen to music, play a jewel-matching game, update Twitter and Facebook with 6sense, look up something on the web, watch a movie and... wait, what was that other thing... oh yeah, read!

So I'm quite happy with my unrooted Nook, and I'm wondering how many others feel the same? For me, I think a "Reader's Tablet' is exactly what I needed.
Carriebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:08 AM   #2
wymore
Enthusiast
wymore began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
My fear in rooting the Nook Color is that I will waste too much time doing things other than reading. I've got a ton of books that I want to read, and it will never get done if I am playing around all day. Plus, I use it mostly at home. If I want to play games, I have video game consoles for that.
wymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2011, 05:48 AM   #3
eric50
eric50 began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
I agree with you Carriebear. I am happy with my unrooted Nook Color and have many books to read. I did put CM7 on an SD card and can boot to it if I need to but right now I have not figured out any good reason to do so other then to try it out and see what it was all about.
eric50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:49 AM   #4
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I bought the Color Nook primarily to let me check email and surf the web in a hurry (without firing up my computer). So for me, the unrooted Color Nook, with the recent update, is just about perfect.

I use my Classic Nook for reading, but the Color Nook would be good for that too, IMHO.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:49 AM   #5
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
The only reason I have mine rooted is to access my cloud. Downloading through Aldiko. I think ai be found a way to do it unrioted through html and quick office, so I may go back. I don't particularly do anythinglse because I want my battery for reading.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2011, 09:39 AM   #6
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
I bought my NC exclusively to read on. I wanted the color and back lighted reader and that's what I got. The extras on 1.2 are icing on the cake for me. I also use it to check email, weather and sports scores. I definitely get what I paid for.
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
richard_iii
Coder extrordinaire
richard_iii began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
I rooted mine to have a reader and a tablet, There is no way I'll go back to an unrooted nook. When the honeycomb root stablizes I'll be all over that like a duck on june bug and never look back
richard_iii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:51 PM   #8
Carriebear
Polar Bear
Carriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchforkCarriebear can load mercury with a pitchfork

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard_iii View Post
I rooted mine to have a reader and a tablet, There is no way I'll go back to an unrooted nook.
Right, I understand that rooting is perfect for those who want a combo reader/tablet. I just meant that for me, I don't really need a tablet, I suppose. I have a netbook that I can carry around to do the "heavy lifting" web and word processing wise, but for me the stock NC is perfect for its main purpose - reading, and for me to have a few extra things to do if I'm say, waiting at the doctor's office or some such thing.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:56 PM   #9
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I got my Color to used strictly as a tablet. For reading, I have a Kindle. I'm more than pleased with this arrangement.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #10
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
I couldn't be happier with my unrooted NC. I bought it to read on, and it's excellent for that. The games are nice, and with the update there's a free notepad app available, plus email, and those make it even more perfect, but I was happy with it when I bought it. I've always had the thought that I could do a little hobby programming on it, but I don't need to root it for that, either.
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:54 PM   #11
pixiestyx
Enthusiast
pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pixiestyx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O; N7 2013; Samsung GN 10.1 2014
I just had my husband set up a dual boot with CM7 on the SD card last week. I'm very happy with the stock system for reading ePub books & I was happy to get ezPDF when the apps were added. However, my 1st gen iPod Touch has become a bit obsolete since the release of iOS4 and since I'm not ready to upgrade that, pay for a smartphone or full tablet yet, being able to run CM7 off the SD is a nice option for now

Even if I was ready to purchase another gadget, I don't think I'd give up my stock NC. I've started playing with some of the other readers available for Android but I still like the stock reader best. I don't use a lot of the dictionary/notes features that I've seen many complain about. Also, the Overdrive app, which I was really looking forward to using for direct downloading from the library, is an *awful* reader. It's still a nice option in a pinch, but I'll keep connecting through my PC to download library books when I have time.
pixiestyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #12
emt
Nameless Being

I spent countless hours rooting/loading CM7 from SD Cards, etc.. and found that I was spending more time playing with rooting/fixing/rebooting.. and not any time in enjoying/reading.. So, I went back to an unrooted Nook.

Outside of the really awful browser, an unrooted Nook Color (updated to 1.2 of course) is a very good "tablet" if you add a few inexpensive apps/games from the BN market - I use Fliq Notes and Tasks, Quick Office (that also has a rudimentary file browser capable of using Google Docs and/or Dropbox to download files, etc. and here are some neat games.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:35 AM   #13
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
Since installing CM7, I find that I read more RSS feeds, listen to podcasts and, yes, read books on my NC.

I don't think I read any less than I did before. I think I read differently.

For example, I am more likely to share passages from books on FaceBook. Also, I travel a lot. Since CM7, I have loaded a few travel apps to make my life easier. Now, at the airport, I can basically put my phone in my briefcase (people are more likely to e-mail me than call) and use my NC to read and be notified of emails.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:30 PM   #14
Carriebear
Polar Bear

Thanks to everyone for your responses so far. I've enjoyed seeing all the different reasons we have for staying with stock/rooting/dual-booting CM7, etc. I think B&N really hit their niche market with me, both with the reader and the choices of apps they've offered so far.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #15
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I've only had my NC about 3 days and it's my first android device, but I'm finding the stock OS limiting. I do hope to keep the trying out and setting up to a minimum, but I wouldn't have made the $250 investment for the meager, overpriced, device-specific app offerings of 1.2, much less all but app-less 1.1. The appeal of the device was the hardware-for-the-money, nigh-unbrickable configuration, and the large modding community.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote