Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-19-2007, 01:56 PM   #1
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
Deactivate for HD format?

I plan to reformat my hard disk shortly and I'm wondering if I need to deactivate my reader before hand. If not, can I reactivate after the format without using up one of my activations? It will be the same computer with the same computer name.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:10 PM   #2
monkeywrench
Connoisseur
monkeywrench began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4, Kindle Keyboard
Hello edbro,

You will need to deactivate before the format and then reactivate afterwards. If you don't you will use up one of your activations.
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2007, 02:14 PM   #3
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Thanks.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:33 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrench View Post
Hello edbro,

You will need to deactivate before the format and then reactivate afterwards. If you don't you will use up one of your activations.
You should deauthorize the computer, not the reader.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:38 PM   #5
edbro
Banned

Yes, I worded it incorrectly. I mean the computer.

I was just curious as I don't really know what they look at for the activation; some hardware hash, computer name, etc? My hardware, OS, and computer name will all be the same. In any case, I will deactivate the computer first just to be safe.
Advert
Old 08-19-2007, 03:03 PM   #6
_Sin
_Sin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Yes, I worded it incorrectly. I mean the computer.

I was just curious as I don't really know what they look at for the activation; some hardware hash, computer name, etc? My hardware, OS, and computer name will all be the same. In any case, I will deactivate the computer first just to be safe.
Quite often it's the HDD volume ID. This used by Mobipocket, and is also used as one of the (many) identifiers for XP. If it's anything else, it's unlikely to change when you reformat anway.

It's well worth noting down your volume ID (type VOL at a command prompt) and then restoring it afterwards (before activating any software, including XP itself though!). A util to change the ID can be found on the sysinternals website (which is now part of Microsoft).
_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:38 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So if you have your volume ID as unlabeled, leave it that way after to reformat right?

But to be honest, there's no reason to reformat and mess things up. I've reinstalled XP before and NEVER reformatted. All I did wasd rename Windows, Program Files, and Documents and Settings and then reinstalled the OS. That way, I was able to keep all the data on the drive and get back anything I needed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:36 AM   #8
_Sin
_Sin began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So if you have your volume ID as unlabeled, leave it that way after to reformat right?

But to be honest, there's no reason to reformat and mess things up. I've reinstalled XP before and NEVER reformatted. All I did wasd rename Windows, Program Files, and Documents and Settings and then reinstalled the OS. That way, I was able to keep all the data on the drive and get back anything I needed.
It's not the label that matters, it's the Volume Serial Number - this is randomly assigned any time you format the partition, but can be manually set as it's just a number stored in one of the root blocks. I don't think anything really pays attention to the label, that's just there for your own use.
_Sin is offline   Reply With Quote