Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-22-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
janjanjan
Enthusiast
janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook ST Glow
All B&N books have disappeared

Suddenly, all my B&N books on the Nook have basically disappeared. When I select a book, I get a brief summary and the option to download the book. That's fine when I have wi-fi, but one of the key reasons a I bought the Nook was to have a storehouse of books I could read when I have no internet. The only reason that I bought and downloaded B&N books was so I'd have this storehouse. We travel extensively out of reach of wi-fi.

What is really odd about this is that this isn't how my Nook used to store books. In fact, several books that I've actually read are now stored only as summaries. I've done nothing to select this type of storage, and I want my books back!

What has happened, and how do I download all my existing books plus download in the future so I get the whole book, not just a brief place-marker.

Thanks in advance.
janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:12 AM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by janjanjan View Post
Suddenly, all my B&N books on the Nook have basically disappeared. When I select a book, I get a brief summary and the option to download the book. That's fine when I have wi-fi, but one of the key reasons a I bought the Nook was to have a storehouse of books I could read when I have no internet. The only reason that I bought and downloaded B&N books was so I'd have this storehouse. We travel extensively out of reach of wi-fi.

What is really odd about this is that this isn't how my Nook used to store books. In fact, several books that I've actually read are now stored only as summaries. I've done nothing to select this type of storage, and I want my books back!

What has happened, and how do I download all my existing books plus download in the future so I get the whole book, not just a brief place-marker.

Thanks in advance.
It sounds like you have one of those Nooks that resets itself suddenly to factory defaults, which deletes all of your books. In that case when the Nook connects to B&N again it will download the meta-data (cover, summary etc.) of all your books. But only the first 5 books will be dowloaded. You will have to download the rest yourself.

If there is still a guarantee on the Nook, try to exchange it. In most cases I have read about this problem will return in the future.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2011, 02:40 PM   #3
janjanjan
Enthusiast
janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.janjanjan for a long time would go to bed early.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook ST Glow
Thank you, Geertm. I've never heard of this, but it makes sense, given what I'm seeing. I bought this last year, I think in early summer, and we're currently on an extended trip away from home. I don't remember the term of the warranty, but suspect I'm outside of that term, or I'm not, I will be by the time I get home and get my packing materials, I will be. So, I'll have to decide whether I want a new one or not.
janjanjan is offline   Reply With Quote