Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #1
charonme
Zealot
charonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to behold

Device: K3
is 1984 available for free legal download?

Back in the day when amazon deleted a particular edition of 1984 from kindles I remember seeing somewhere in the news that it was ironic because the 1984 was free for legal download in some country, but I can't find it anymore. So is it still available? I'd like to have the exact same edition just for fun
charonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:48 PM   #2
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
http://www.copyright.cornell.edu/res...blicdomain.cfm

1984 was published in 1949 w/renewed copyright?, so 95 years after this date it will enter Public Domain
it will expire 1949 + 95 = 2043 (end of 2043)
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Wikipedia. I'm not a lawyer and I've no idea whether the listed links are actually legal or not in your country. Do this at your own risk.

Last edited by Tiersten; 11-21-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
It is available in Australia and if you go to the Australia Gutenberg site you will find it.

I'm not sure if we are allowed to link directly to that here so I won't. Search either under George Orwell's name or 1984 like this

Nineteen eighty-four

I'm sure there are probably better formatted versions out there but that is one. I don't think the Gutenberg edition would be the exact same one that was on Amazon. Usually with the free book sites you have to search around to find one that is formatted nicely and sometimes it is easier just to pay.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 01:55 PM   #5
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

You can find it here, on our own forum: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11626

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #6
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY PRS-505, PRS-T2
1984 is in the public domain in Canada, Australia and other Life+50 countries. It is available in Mobileread's ebook download section. Depending on your country of residence, it may or may not be legal for you to download it.
If you don't live in Canada, Australia or other Life+50 country and you download it, then the Thought Police will probably arrest you, and you will end up in Room 101 in the Ministry of Love.
Pablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 02:02 PM   #7
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
The rats... do not forget the rats...
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:40 AM   #8
charonme
Zealot
charonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to beholdcharonme is a marvel to behold

Device: K3
thanks, I was thinking about the exact edition amazon pulled. I have some other editions already.
charonme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 05:46 AM   #9
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I got a legal download from MR. My company is registered in Canada, so I guess I'm legally entitled. Anyway, I've bought the treebook verion maybe two dozen times for myself and friends over the years, so I feel morally entitled to store one digital copy. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:35 AM   #10
Pablo
Guru
Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pablo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was wondering who held Orwell's copyright today, after 60 years of his passing. This is what I found
http://www.orwelltoday.com/orwellwriterwronged.shtml
Old 11-22-2010, 06:48 AM   #11
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
I was wondering who held Orwell's copyright today, after 60 years of his passing. This is what I found
http://www.orwelltoday.com/orwellwriterwronged.shtml
I can't open your link... maybe the thought police got to it.... (shiver)
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:49 AM   #12
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also, Curstpriest, I LOVE your avatar!
Old 11-22-2010, 07:20 AM   #13
Pablo
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
It looks as if the site is not working right now. The home address is http://www.orwelltoday.com, and has may interesting articles.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:09 AM   #14
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo View Post
It looks as if the site is not working right now. The home address is http://www.orwelltoday.com, and has may interesting articles.
Thanks!
Old 11-22-2010, 08:20 AM   #15
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
It's available in Google Cache:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=uk
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote