Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 01-01-2024, 04:22 AM   #1
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
Verse Pro - page jump problem

Hello,

I've read a few books on the Pocketbook Verse Pro and while actively reading the experience is fine.

The problem I kept running into is that if I open a ebook with "PB Reader (EPUB 2)" if I lock the screen and then un-lock the screen would cause the pages to jump back a few pages. I tried using the power off option, however when I did that it moved me from the middle of the chapter back to the beginning of the chapter I was reading.

Then when I try "PB Reader (EPUB 3)" that problem doesn't seem to happen but I have to page through 5 or 6 button clicks at the end of every chapter before it'll go to the next chapter. Or I have to use the Table of Contents to navigate to the next chapter.

Is this a common experience for the newer Pocketbook readers? Or did I buy a lemon?

With my Pocketbook HD2, when I put the ebook on standby/locked screen, or power off when I restart the story it's always exactly where I left off.

I'd appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks,
Amalthia
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 08:59 AM   #2
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
If you close and reopen the book via the task manager do you get the same issue?
neil_swann80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 03:36 PM   #3
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
If you close and reopen the book via the task manager do you get the same issue?
I'll try that with the next ebook I start. I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 01-01-2024, 06:30 PM   #4
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
I had the same issue when I powered off the device and turned it on, the pages jumped back to the beginning of the chapter.

I'm guessing this isn't happening for everyone? If it's not I can contact Pocketbook support to report this problem and see if I can return the device for another one that doesn't have this problem.

Thanks,
Amalthia
Old 01-02-2024, 05:14 PM   #5
ArmadilloPilot
Enthusiast
ArmadilloPilot began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Verse Pro
Does not happen on mine

I've had my verse pre for a month or so. Never had the problem you are reporting. I put my on lock sometimes, I directly put it to sleep sometimes, and I just let it sit and go to sleep when it wants to sometimes. I never have the problem of it backing up or going to any other page other than where I was.

I am not sure what you mean when you say "PB Reader (epub1) and PB Reader (epub2). What are those? different reader apps in your verse pro?
ArmadilloPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 06:34 PM   #6
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmadilloPilot View Post
I've had my verse pre for a month or so. Never had the problem you are reporting. I put my on lock sometimes, I directly put it to sleep sometimes, and I just let it sit and go to sleep when it wants to sometimes. I never have the problem of it backing up or going to any other page other than where I was.

I am not sure what you mean when you say "PB Reader (epub1) and PB Reader (epub2). What are those? different reader apps in your verse pro?
If you press for a few seconds on the ebook you'd like to open, you get an option to "open with" and it gives you two choices to select from. You have other options too like "Book Info" and some other stuff.

One is epub 3 and the other is epub 2. I've tried both and the ebooks display a little differently depending on which one you pick. I think the default is "PB Reader (Epub 3)."

Amalthia
Old 01-02-2024, 07:18 PM   #7
ArmadilloPilot
Enthusiast
ArmadilloPilot began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook Verse Pro
I did not know this

Well thanks for your feedback. I posted earlier about having a problem with highlighting text. Now that you have taught me about the two reader, I switched to EPUB 2. That works much better for highlighting text. I will now use 2 for a while and see how that works.

Is this #2 vs #3 something documented somewhere? What is supposed to be the difference?
ArmadilloPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 08:12 PM   #8
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmadilloPilot View Post
Well thanks for your feedback. I posted earlier about having a problem with highlighting text. Now that you have taught me about the two reader, I switched to EPUB 2. That works much better for highlighting text. I will now use 2 for a while and see how that works.

Is this #2 vs #3 something documented somewhere? What is supposed to be the difference?
I thought the epub 2 option was for epub 2 format I think there is a new version of epub called "epub 3." In Calibre you can select if you want to convert to the epub2 or epub3. I tend to stick with epub 2 because epub 3 did weird things to my cover images.

When I switch between the two, the margins change and the hr tags are a little different. But I'm not sure otherwise what is different between these two options. I'm hoping someone else may know more about it. I just have my observations.

I'm going to have to do some research to see what was introduced in epub 3.

Amalthia
Old 01-02-2024, 09:46 PM   #9
Amalthia
Wizard

Update: I heard back from support and they recommended that factory reset the device. I've reset the device and will try reading a few more ebooks and update this comment thread to let everyone know how it went.
Old 01-03-2024, 03:05 PM   #10
Amalthia
Wizard

2nd update. The factory reset worked.

However, I think the reason it worked is because it removed all the fonts I had added to the device. During my testing I made one change at a time and then tested the chapters and page jumping. It only broke again after I added my "Times New Roman" font to the device and selected it as my default font.

I'm not sure why this font is causing the page jumping or weird paging issues between chapters but if anyone else runs across this problem, I'd recommend changing the font back to the device default and see if that helps.