Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-05-2021, 12:29 PM   #1
12341235 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Page number issues

Hey guys. I convert all my ebooks to kepub in calibre, and for some books for some reason the page numbers are way off. Like it will start on page 180 and then stay like that for 20 page turns at which point it jump to page 350. This only happens for the total page in book number at the bottom margin, the pages remaining in chapter at the top works as intended. This only happens for some books and not others.

I want it to show 1 page number per turn. Does anybody know how to fix this?

Thanks in advance!
12341235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:32 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12341235 View Post
Hey guys. I convert all my ebooks to kepub in calibre, and for some books for some reason the page numbers are way off. Like it will start on page 180 and then stay like that for 20 page turns at which point it jump to page 350. This only happens for the total page in book number at the bottom margin, the pages remaining in chapter at the top works as intended. This only happens for some books and not others.

Thanks in advance!
Dig out your favourite epub editor and fix the structure and ToC plus any other errors.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:37 PM   #3
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Maybe use kepubify instead of calibre to fix it? I don't use calibre much but from what I've heard it's a very good app.
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 12:41 PM   #4

The books are being converted to Kepub from AZW3, but some books that are converted form AZW3 work fine and some don't. I'm also not sure how to edit the books with an epub editor, I open the default editor in calibre and im completely lost as to what I'm doing. The table of contents look fine from what I can tell though.
Old 02-05-2021, 01:01 PM   #5
Elektron
Banned
Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elektron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 (mark 7), Kobo Mini
Ah. Try AZW3 --> ePub --> kepubify.
Elektron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 01:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elektron View Post
Ah. Try AZW3 --> ePub --> kepubify.
So it looks like AZW3 -> ePub works, when I open the converted ePub in iBooks on my mac the pages are correct. But then ePub -> kepubify gives the same wrong page numbers as before. I got a different version that was ePub and converting that to kepub works fine. I'll just try to avoid AZW3 from now on.

Thanks!
Old 02-05-2021, 02:31 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:

Thanks in advance!
The problem with incorrect whole book pagecount in kepubs has been around for quite a long time. There was some discussion about it towards the end of this thread, post #286 onwards.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:34 PM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
So it looks like AZW3 -> ePub works, when I open the converted ePub in iBooks on my mac the pages are correct. But then ePub -> kepubify gives the same wrong page numbers as before. I got a different version that was ePub and converting that to kepub works fine. I'll just try to avoid AZW3 from now on.
All that really tells you is that iBooks handles the epubs that are produced. If you use the epub on the Kobo device, it will probably work as well. The book is valid according to the epub standards, but not the kepub standards.

The issue is most likely the structure of the book when converted to kepub. While a kepub is basically an epub, there are differences in how the kepub renderer works. One of the differences is that the all of the internal text files should be in the ToC. When this is not true, there can be some interesting things happening with the page numbering. Such as what you describe with the page count jumping around.

I haven't tested the above for a while and thought it had been largely fixed. What firmware version do you have on the device? The problem @jackie_w pointed to is different as it is about the page number not incrementing properly within a chapter. There might be some relationship between the two problems, but, it isn't an obvious one.

To be able to work out what is happening, we would need to see an example book.If it is legal to post, or if it can b downloaded from somewhere, post a link. Otherwise, you can use the Scramble Ebook to produce a version of the epub that can be posted.

Last edited by davidfor; 02-05-2021 at 08:39 PM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote