Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 12:32 AM   #1
Bronwyn
Bronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo
Cover not displaying on Kobo Glo

Hi all,
Loving my Kobo Glo BUT this morning I bought a book from Bookworld, dragged & dropped it from ADE to Kobo & there is no book cover, just a blank white square. The cover shows in ADE, Calibre, Bookworld on my laptop & on my Ipad.
Also not showing on my Touch. I've deleted the book & re-added it umpteen times on both ereaders to no avail. Also did the paperclip re-set. This particular book is one of a series & the others all display covers. Any suggestions. Thanks
Bronwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:25 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The Kobo devices use the first page of the book as the cover. What does the first page look like on the Glo?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:32 AM   #3
Bronwyn
Bronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura aboutBronwyn has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo
Thanks for the quick reply, davidfor.
Page 1 on my glo is blank. I haven't ever had this problem before. Is it fixable because it's driving me bonkers. Why do the covers show in ADE etc?
Bronwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:02 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ADE must be reading the cover from somewhere else. It might be the last page in the book. The ePub standard supports adding semantics to files inside the book. So you can mark different sections as the cover, copyright, TOC and other parts. ADE might be using that to get the cover. But, I didn't think calibre did. If the book doesn't have DRM, you can use calibre to put the cover at the start of the book.

If you send the book to the device from calibre, you can set both the "send covers" and "always send cover" option in the driver. This will copy the cover that calibre has to the device when you do a send.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:57 PM   #5
Constant_Reader
Constant_Reader began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hi just wondering if you could elaborate on the steps involved to do this within Calibre? I'm pretty familiar with the program, but cannot seem to get my book cover added when transferring the epub to my Kobo Glo! Thanks so much!
Constant_Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 12:12 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

While the device is connected, right-click on the device button in the toolbar. Then select "Configure this device". On the configuration dialog, there are there cover related options. You need to select at least one of these. Then save the changes. You will be prompted to restart calibre to have the options take effect. Do that.

The next time you send a book, the covers will be generated and sent to the device as well.

For an explanation of the three cover related options, and all the other ones, see the third post in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=192863.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #7
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Ok, I'm not sure if my problem is the same...my covers display fine in the library, on "home" and when sleeping but when the device is off I just get a generic square cover with the author, title and format.

Is this normal?

Ty
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote