Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-13-2011, 01:25 PM   #31
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
It seems there are several eBook reading apps that turn the text brown when in sepia mode. I suspect a lot of these apps are written by programmers who seldom read for pleasure. I'm still hoping that Amazon tweaked the eBook app for KFire as I no longer want to use another Android or iOS app since they cannot take advantage of Whispersync. To me the most important function is Whispersync and the ability to sync farthest page read, highlighting, notes, etc. Secondary to that is formatting. However, if formatting is so lackluster as to make reading a pain, then that will cause me to rethink any Kindle device. I can overcome the lackluster formatting on the Kindle E Ink readers. Unfortunately I cannot overcome it on the iPad due to the iPad's horrible text rendering engine and low resolution, which admittedly is an Apple issue rather than an Amazon issue. I hope I can overcome it on the KFire.
You will be able to use Whispersync and Personal Doc cloud with the Kindle Fire. I can already send my stuff to my Fire which I ordered on Saturday.

I suspect the reading app will have an update soon if it uses the stock Android app.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #32
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
You will be able to use Whispersync and Personal Doc cloud with the Kindle Fire. I can already send my stuff to my Fire which I ordered on Saturday.

I suspect the reading app will have an update soon if it uses the stock Android app.
Yes, I know. And that is why I won't even consider using any of the other reading apps as none of them can be used with Whispersync. I've tried a bunch of 3rd party apps on my Android phone and it is just too much trouble to manually transfer highlights and notes. They often have much better formatting options, but they are a PITA for syncing.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-13-2011 at 01:37 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:37 PM   #33
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
I don't have an android device, the Fire will be my first, so I'm not familiar with the kindle android app. Is it just the background colors that you are objecting too, or are there other lack of features that you don't like.

Thanks,
Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #34
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
I don't have an android device, the Fire will be my first, so I'm not familiar with the kindle android app. Is it just the background colors that you are objecting too, or are there other lack of features that you don't like.

Thanks,
Carol
Yes the background color and text are horrible to look at as it's too bright and don't go well together. There are no way to change margins or fonts so it doesn't look as pretty as a Kindle E-Ink specially when you Zoom in.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:44 PM   #35
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Yes, I know. And that is why I won't even consider using any of the other reading apps as none of them can be used with Whispersync. I've tried a bunch of 3rd party apps on my Android phone and it is just too much trouble to manually transfer highlights and notes. They often have much better formatting options, but they are a PITA for syncing.
I could see that being a problem. I usually just stop reading at a chapter so I don't have a problem picking up on Mantano what I am reading on my Kindle and vice versa. I usually don't read the same books though on both devices. It may change on the Fire but my bed time reading is usually a different book from my afternoon reading.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #36
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post

Thanks,
Carol
The Kindle Android and iOS apps have a bit less formatting capability than do the Kindle E Ink readers. But that is kind of typical with most of the big name apps. That is, the popular E Ink readers from Sony, B&N, Kobo, etc. tend to have better formatting than do their related Android and iOS apps. Third party reader apps tend to have better formatting, but they don't directly sync with any E Ink readers.
Old 11-13-2011, 01:56 PM   #37
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
I must be the only one who has no complaint with the Kindle app on my Xoom and Droid X (both Android). I prefer it over Aldiko, Moon Reader and others.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote