Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 03:51 AM   #1
ryancolm
ryancolm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Making small retouches to downloaded books...

Hi all,
I've downloaded some public domain classics from MobileRead and I was wondering what would be the best way to tinker with them. They are mostly very well done but one thing that irks me is that often, straight quotes are used instead of curly or smart quotes. Is there any way I can fix this myself without badgering the original uploaders? (Whom I am not criticising in any way, incidentally; they're doing a terrific job.) I don't want to get too deep into ebook formats et cetera. I just want to be able to make the odd tweak to suit myself.
The format I'm interested in is epub.
Many thanks in advance for all answers!
C
ryancolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:19 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sure. Use the free ePub editing tool "Sigil"; there's a forum for it here on MR.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 07:56 AM   #3
ryancolm
ryancolm began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Thanks a million!! Much obliged to you, kind sir.
C
ryancolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
You can also use Sigil to add things like diagrams, illustrations, or maps. The images added (for a Barnes & Noble Nook) should be monochrome, and re-sized so that the width is less than or equal to 600 pixels, and the height is less than or equal to about 720 pixels.
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curly quotes, smart quotes