Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-02-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
PaulSmi
PaulSmi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre trying to fetching news when I'm not online

I work on a laptop and I'm often not connected to the Internet.

Each morning Calibre goes on and fetches my news. This works great when I'm connected, but if I don't have an Internet connection I just get a lot of error messages and things that look as though they've downloaded, but then when I view them there is obviously no content.

The problem would be easily fixed if I could just tell Calibre NOT to fetch content when there is no active connection to the Internet.

How do I do this?

Hope someone cane help as it is soooooo frustrating.
PaulSmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre currently can't detect the presence or absence of a network connection. I would suggest you just quit calibre after you have it fetch news in the morning.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 08:39 AM   #3
PaulSmi
PaulSmi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I liked to have Calibre open ALL the time as I have it do lots of things through the day. And if I quit, I'd worry about forgetting to reload it.

I'm surprised that for an app that has so many AMAZING features and is such a technical work of art it can't do something as basic as just checking there's an Internet connection before it starts trying to fetch news. I thought that would have been a real simple test. Heck, even if it just pinged a server to check before getting going, that would work wouldn't it.

Please, please, please add it in as soon as you can is it is soooo frustrating if you're on a laptop that's not always connected.

I've donated before, but I'll gladly donate again if you can get this one thing in :-)
PaulSmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Open a ticket requesting the feature, so I don't forget. I guess I am just not used to the concept of ever being disconnected from the internet
Old 03-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulSmi View Post
...checking there's an Internet connection before it starts trying to fetch news. ...
Please, please, please add it in as soon as you can is it is soooo frustrating if you're on a laptop that's not always connected..
Why not just turn off the automatic fetch, and move it into a batch file that runs in the Windows scheduler (or cron, etc.). Here's a quickie for Windows that will detect internet connectivity:
Code:
@echo off
ECHO Checking connection, please wait...
PING -n 1 www.google.com|find "Reply from " >NUL
IF NOT ERRORLEVEL 1 goto :SUCCESS
IF     ERRORLEVEL 1 goto :TRYAGAIN

:TRYAGAIN
ECHO FAILURE!
ECHO Let me try a bit more, please wait...
@echo off
PING -n 3 www.google.com|find "Reply from " >NUL
IF NOT ERRORLEVEL 1 goto :SUCCESS2
IF     ERRORLEVEL 1 goto :TRYIP

:TRYIP
ECHO FAILURE!
ECHO Checking DNS...
ECHO Lets try by IP address...
@echo off
ping -n 1 216.239.37.99|find "Reply from " >NUL
IF NOT ERRORLEVEL 1 goto :SUCCESSDNS
IF     ERRORLEVEL 1 goto :TRYROUTER

:TRYROUTER
ECHO FAILURE!
ECHO Lets try pinging the router....
ping -n 2 192.168.1.1|find "Reply from " >NUL
IF NOT ERRORLEVEL 1 goto :ROUTERSUCCESS
IF     ERRORLEVEL 1 goto :NETDOWN

:ROUTERSUCCESS
ECHO It appears that you can reach the router, but internet is unreachable.
goto :FAILURE

:NETDOWN
ECHO FAILURE!
ECHO It appears that you having network issues, the router cannot be reached.

:SUCCESSDNS
ECHO It appears that you are having DNS issues.

:SUCCESS
ECHO You have an active Internet connection
pause
goto END

:SUCCESS2
ECHO You have an active internet connection but some packet loss was detected.
pause
goto :END

:FAILURE
ECHO You do not have an active Internet connection
pause
goto :END
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 01:16 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Actually thinking about this some more, I don't think it's a very good idea. It would mean that calibre would be pinging a server (say google.com) every few seconds. Since calibre is now used by almost a million users, that will very quickly add up to some significant network traffic.
Old 03-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #7
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Actually thinking about this some more, I don't think it's a very good idea. It would mean that calibre would be pinging a server (say google.com) every few seconds. Since calibre is now used by almost a million users, that will very quickly add up to some significant network traffic.
You're not commenting on my batch file idea are you? That would just ping at the start, then go to success, and download the recipes. The other debug/error checking in that batch file isn't really necessary.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:14 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No, I was talking about implementing a ping based connectivity check in the calibre new scheduler.
Old 03-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
No, I was talking about implementing a ping based connectivity check in the calibre new scheduler.
Maybe you can place an optional check, where the default is not to check. But if someone is in the position of the OP then they could turn on the ping check prior to fetching news.

Personally I would never turn this option on.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No it's way too open to abuse. I guess at least for windows and linux I can check for an active network connection which should take care of the OPs problem without generating any network traffic.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:50 PM   #11
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
I guess at least for windows and linux I can check for an active network connection which should take care of the OPs problem without generating any network traffic.
Interfacing with 3 different OS's must drive you crazy.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Interfacing with 3 different OS's must drive you crazy.
Yeah, fortunately, most of if is automatic when you use a "platform neutral" language like python.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:59 PM   #13
Starson17
Wizard

Quote:
Yeah, fortunately, most of if is automatic when you use a "platform neutral" language like python.
Yes, but I was thinking of things like monitoring network alive status, or watching a directory to automatically add books that appear there. I've been trying to come up with some code for merging records, and I keep running into little OS dependent bits you've added, like one that swaps '\' and '/' based on OS dependency.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:12 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Well yes, if I could go back in time, the one thing I would do is dispose of whoever first invented DOS, then most of the world wouldn't be using an operating system designed with no knowledge of networking in the Internet age.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:05 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Well yes, if I could go back in time, the one thing I would do is dispose of whoever first invented DOS, then most of the world wouldn't be using an operating system designed with no knowledge of networking in the Internet age.
But "Nobody will need more than 640K of memory"

NETBUI was an add-on for MS-DOS 2.x(?)
The network cards cost 100's of dollars (PC, PC-XT) and were BNC or AUI (to a transceiver)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote