Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 02-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #61
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Yeah, I've read this blog, and it's uninformed FUD. This has already been discussed at length. The fact remains, the iPhone will be the only major smart phone without Flash, and the iPad will be a large screen device with crippled access to the web.
Personally, I have no use for Flash and see it as a resource & battery hog that will eventually become obsolete. I have not missed it at all on my iPhone in the 2 years I've been using it. On my MB, I have clicktoflash installed and don't have to deal with listening to my MB windup and slow to a crawl.

As I've said previously, it's good that there are choices and if having Flash is a big deal then the iPad is obviously not the right device for that person.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 03:48 AM   #62
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
As far as Flash, I'd suggest reading http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2010/0...ant-use-flash/ which is written by a Flash designer. The iPad supports HTML5 which Youtube, Vimeo and from what I've been reading Hulu will also be developing an app for their content on the iPad.
Interesting article, but this guy is lacking in imagination. I immediately thought of a multitouch interface that would work fine for me-- use one finger to hover, and tap with another finger. For right click, tap with two fingers. I don't think it would take me long to get used to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
As far as someone on another forum said, a camera is kind of pointless unless you want people looking up your nose during a video chat. A camera on the backside of the device is pointless because the device is rather bulky to hold and take a picture.
I'd use a camera for a completely different purpose-- capturing information from the environment. I have an iPod Touch, and I really miss a camera on it, because that would integrate with Evernote and a number of other apps that can parse images for information purposes. I'd like to be able to take a snapshot of a whiteboard, or napkin notes, or those 2D bar codes that are appearing more and more frequently. Or regular barcodes, for that matter, using something like Android Scan. Or a page of a reference book at a library. Or (someday) instant translation of a page from one language to another. A camera on the back of the iPad would be great for these purposes.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #63
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by splendor View Post
it turned out that the display is not Pixel QI technology, and the backlight cannot be turned off, which means that it still cannot be used as an ereader for long-hour reading.

SOOOOOooooooo disappointed !!!
An LCD Display, even with LED backlight is not really for long time reading. The iPad is an overpriced notebook without keyboard for people who can't do financial math.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:57 PM   #64
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
for people who can't do financial math.
Says the Iliad owner

Show me another device with the same form factor, weight and battery life that also has an IPS screen and I'd be interested. The IPS makes a huge difference, reading comics on it, which I'll be doing, makes the screen very important, normal lcd screens just don't cut it. I know, I already have a tablet pc.

There's lots of neat tablet devices coming out this year but none have a screen as good as the iPad or a decent battery life.
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #65
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I'd be all for a reflective display, if it were actually good.
Since currently available reflective displays are all pretty awful though, a good quality backlit LCD may be the best choice in the near future. As interesting as Liquavista and Mirasol (or even Pixel Qi) are, they're not available in real products. So far, E-Ink and Sipix and all other commercial electrophoretic displays are rubbish.

For a lot of people, backlit LCD will be fine for several hours of reading at a time, assuming Apple can render fonts readably.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2010, 09:45 AM   #66
deltop
Zealot
deltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litterdeltop doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo
Luckily for me an Apple store just opened up nearby. I was talking to one of the employees yesterday and he was adamant that they would have them on display instore a few days before going on sale so that people could get some hands on time before buying. So I'll be getting a good look at the screen and seeing how well it displays comics first. Unfortunately being in the uk it's unlikely to be setup with the iBook app. I will however be remedying that if I buy by registering it with my US iTunes account
deltop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:38 PM   #67
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltop View Post
Luckily for me an Apple store just opened up nearby. I was talking to one of the employees yesterday and he was adamant that they would have them on display instore a few days before going on sale so that people could get some hands on time before buying. So I'll be getting a good look at the screen and seeing how well it displays comics first. Unfortunately being in the uk it's unlikely to be setup with the iBook app. I will however be remedying that if I buy by registering it with my US iTunes account
That would be highly unusual for Apple to put the product out on display to play with prior to the official launch. They've never done it with any other product.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:08 PM   #68
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by deltop View Post
Says the Iliad owner
I bought the Iliad in a time where no other commercial e-book reader had that big screen and that openness (Linux).

Today I would go for the same attributes (probably an Irex Reader 1000S or a Skiff Reader) so it was a logical choice.

That can't be said for the iPad - the resolution is the same as the Iliad (only in color and in worse reading quality). My laptop for 340 Euro has almost twice the resolution and does the same (and more things) than your iPad.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:26 PM   #69
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
One thing I have not seen discussed in terms of the whole reflective-versus-backlit issue is pixel density. For example, iPad has a pixel density of about 132PPI. iPhone is about 163PPI. Kindle 2 is 167PPI.

If distance to the eye and focussing ability is the same, I'd argue that higher pixel density is 'better' and easier on the eyes, and perhaps a factor in contributing to eyestrain when text of a given size doesn't have enough pixels to render smoothly, or lack thereof when it does.

So in the case of iPad, I guess I'm waiting to see whether you'll need to hold it further away than an iPhone (for example) in order for text to appear as sharp.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:37 PM   #70
sciredz
Enthusiast
sciredz began at the beginning.

Device: none
I wonder why reflective display is better on the eyes compared to backlit. When
you view bright source of light, your eye pupil decreases in size.. why does this
cause more eyestrain than reading on a eink (like Kindle) which doesn't use any
backlit (hence doesn't make the pupil smaller)??
sciredz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:11 AM   #71
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
iPad Shaping Up to Be More Popular Than the iPhone, Survey Says

I like these comments:

Which brings me neatly to the final part of the survey--what people will buy the iPad for. Top place went to surfing the 'Net, with 68%, while 44% opted for checking their emails. Next was reading eBooks, on 37%, with reading magazines and newspapers (28%) and watching videos (24%) bringing up the rear. Personally, I'll be using mine as a breakfast tray.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:26 AM   #72
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
... Top place went to surfing the 'Net, with 68%, ....
LOL, just wait until they start seeing blue diamonds all over.... Most of the public has no clue about the lack of Flash.

Then wait to see the subscription rates some of the publishers are talking about.

Breakfast tray might be good, though.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 12:49 AM   #73
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post

Breakfast tray might be good, though.
Good, but too expensive...
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #74
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
One thing I have not seen discussed in terms of the whole reflective-versus-backlit issue is pixel density. For example, iPad has a pixel density of about 132PPI. iPhone is about 163PPI.
Funny. I would have thought the iPad would have the same pixel density as the iPhone. Are they not using the same screen technology?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:32 PM   #75
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
....Are they not using the same screen technology?
As far as I know, no.

The iPhone uses an 18-bit regular LCD, while the iPad uses an IPS screen, which is better and it does 24-bit (true collor).
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote