Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #31
Tachikoma
Connoisseur
Tachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a TexanTachikoma might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kobo Glo
As above, I am getting problems with the light on my Glo, I get the need to adjust light bug, but it's not the only issue.

The dreaded double page turn bug has reappeared, the keyboard is really unresponsive, and my maximum brightness seems a hell of a lot dimmer than it used to be, which is my biggest problem. I commute nearly 5 hours a day, so I read on the bus and train, so leave my brightness on maximum to reduce glare and so I can see when we go through a tunnel for example.

Before, the screen had the obvious blue glow to it, even in bright conditions, now I have to go into the brightness menu to see if it's even on.
Tachikoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #32
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
I thought I read somewhere that it is now possible to go to a specific page number in a book, but I can't find that feature anywhere, at least not in my epub book. Does it only work for kepubs? Or am I missing something?
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2013, 10:13 PM   #33
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
I thought I read somewhere that it is now possible to go to a specific page number in a book, but I can't find that feature anywhere, at least not in my epub book. Does it only work for kepubs? Or am I missing something?
Not sure if this is what you are looking for but when you tap in the middle of the screen, you should see a double headed arrow at the bottom. Tapping on the icon should bring up a box with chapter and page information and a line with double angle brackets and an arrow at each end. You can slide the double circle position indicator on the line though precision is hard to obtain (rolling rather than sliding your finger may help. The arrows move a single page while the double angle brackets move a chapter ahead or back.

There isn't the type in page number capability the old non-touch Kobos had.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #34
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
The other David is right. But, what you might have read is a change in the library list on the Aura HD. The library lists no longer have a slider, but when you touch the "page x of y", you can enter a page number to go to. Personally, they should keep the slider plus have the page number option. And that should be added the reader apps.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #35
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
I think it was a different bug, as he described it.

@MrDoug: you're completely off-topic o_0'
So, what did I do wrong now?. Are they going to send me to jail? Sheesh. Give me a break.. I'm mentally ill and retartred and they are taking my entitlements away.. And my haddicapped parking mirror hanger that I really never deserved as millions of others have that only have a hangnail..
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #36
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The other David is right. But, what you might have read is a change in the library list on the Aura HD. The library lists no longer have a slider, but when you touch the "page x of y", you can enter a page number to go to. Personally, they should keep the slider plus have the page number option. And that should be added the reader apps.
The other David! I must severely protest!

Seriously, when I found that I could tap on the library page number and enter a page number, I tried tapping the page number in the goto and all I got was notes/dictionary/Facebook to my disappointment. While the original Kobo's page number entry was a bit of kludge, it did work.

Regards,
David

The one, the only, the original! Accept no substitutes!
Old 05-21-2013, 11:20 PM   #37
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But, what you might have read is a change in the library list on the Aura HD. The library lists no longer have a slider, but when you touch the "page x of y", you can enter a page number to go to. Personally, they should keep the slider plus have the page number option. And that should be added the reader apps.
This feature you speak of does not seem to exist, at least for epubs in firmware 2.5.1. The library lists do not show any page numbers, and a touch-and-hold to display options for a book in the Library list (not very intuitive) does not display any page number.

Personally I don't find the page slider very useful. It's too insensitive to get to a specific point in the book, and I can't think of any occasion on which I have wanted to go to a non-specific point (normally +/- 20 pages from the nominal position I am trying to drag the slider to). A specific page number entry would be much more useful. Normally I want this feature because a glitch in the book or an accidental touch has skipped 20-30 pages and I need to go back to the specific page I was reading.

Last edited by FJames; 05-21-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:02 AM   #38
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
This feature you speak of does not seem to exist, at least for epubs in firmware 2.5.1. The library lists do not show any page numbers, and a touch-and-hold to display options for a book in the Library list (not very intuitive) does not display any page number.
See the other David's post. It is on the library lists of the AuraHD. Not the Touch or any other part the viewer. Something about pressing whatever text is in italics in the "page x of y" display.
Quote:
Personally I don't find the page slider very useful. It's too insensitive to get to a specific point in the book, and I can't think of any occasion on which I have wanted to go to a non-specific point (normally +/- 20 pages from the nominal position I am trying to drag the slider to). A specific page number entry would be much more useful. Normally I want this feature because a glitch in the book or an accidental touch has skipped 20-30 pages and I need to go back to the specific page I was reading.
I agree that it is not very good for a large number of pages. But, I like the visual aspects of how it shows where I am. Plus tapping the arrow at either end for paging through the list. But, it isn't great for getting to an exact page. And yes, I would like the function.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:56 AM   #39
FJames
Addict

I am looking at the Library list of the Aura. There is no page number in book listed for epubs. Not in firmware version 2.5.1 anyway.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:12 AM   #40
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I am looking at the Library list of the Aura. There is no page number in book listed for epubs. Not in firmware version 2.5.1 anyway.
Nothing to do with the page number in the books. It's the page number in the library. Say, your Aura says you have 314 pages in your library. Care to swipe up to 157 times to get to any page in the libary (157 forward or 157 back) since the Aura does not have a slider to change pages in the library view. Instead you tap on the Page x of 314 near the top of the display and then type 215 using the keyboard that has popped up. Hit Go and you're on page 215 of your library display.

A long press on the book title (it's in italics so try a long press...) will pop up the usual view details/mark as finished/add to shelf/delete menu. Details does show the file size but not the page count. Though remembering the page count on an epub is based on the number of 1024 byte blocks on compressed data per chapter file, you'd have to open the file and scan each of the chapter files to determine the number of pages. Simply looking at the file size does not allow for those books that are mostly images -- the Barnes & Noble version of Vanity Fair clocks in at 21+ megabytes. Unfortunately, a horrendous amount of that space is used by repeated images -- 69 flipping copies of the vignette used in the chapter heading alone. Could someone have said why not reuse one copy of the image?

Regards,
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vignette_8a.gif
Views:	251
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	106116  

Last edited by DNSB; 05-22-2013 at 02:25 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:31 AM   #41
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Not sure if this is what you are looking for but when you tap in the middle of the screen, you should see a double headed arrow at the bottom. Tapping on the icon should bring up a box with chapter and page information and a line with double angle brackets and an arrow at each end. You can slide the double circle position indicator on the line though precision is hard to obtain (rolling rather than sliding your finger may help. The arrows move a single page while the double angle brackets move a chapter ahead or back.

There isn't the type in page number capability the old non-touch Kobos had.

Regards,
David
And this is for sideloaded ePubs. For kepubs, the slider only moves you within a chapter (which makes navigating within a kepub to a specific page very tedious).

While I really like the chapter progress and pages/screens per chapter for kepubs, it seems to me that Kobo really needs some method to universally reference page numbers. Maybe follow the epub/ADE standard.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #42
FJames
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Nothing to do with the page number in the books. It's the page number in the library.
Ah, now I see what you mean, thanks. I only had 6 books loaded yesterday (after a reset), which happens to be only one page in the library. Therefore no library page numbers.

In any case, go-to-page-number in library may be nice to have, but not the go-to-page-number in book that I was looking for.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #43
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
In any case, go-to-page-number in library may be nice to have, but not the go-to-page-number in book that I was looking for.
I wonder if it has to do with the page numbers in the book depends on the font size. I am not talking about the Adobe page numbers (that appear on the side of the page if you want them), but the actual page numbers/turns.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #44
FJames
Addict

I don't think the page number shown depends on the font size. It doesn't change when you change font size, and if you're reading with a larger font, it can stay on the same page number for more than one page turn. However the page number shown doesn't always correspond exactly to any pre-defined page numbers in the book.

In any case, the page number could depend on a lot of things, but it's still not that difficult to implement a go-to-page-number function. You see a page number at the bottom of the screen. That's the one you want to go to. The Kobo firmware manages to keep track of it while reading, and it knows how many pages there are in the book. Even if were impossible to calculate the exact location of some arbitrary page number in the book, it could simply page forward fast from the beginning of the book with no display to arrive at the right page in a few seconds, or it could page forward or back from the current page (again with no display) to get to the right page faster.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #45
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
I don't think the page number shown depends on the font size. It doesn't change when you change font size, and if you're reading with a larger font, it can stay on the same page number for more than one page turn. However the page number shown doesn't always correspond exactly to any pre-defined page numbers in the book.
For epubs using Adobe's more or less standard page calculation, each page is 1024 bytes of compressed data within the chapter files. If there are less than 1024 bytes left at the end of the file, that counts as a page as well.

It does have the advantage that the page number will be the same on any device using that algorithm since it does not depend on the display size or font size. Using very small fonts, I can see two or three page numbers on each screen on my Aura. Going to the other extreme, it can take 20+ page turns to get to the next page number.

Regards,