Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-20-2007, 02:36 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
My First Impressions of the Kindle

The cover is very solid, and will certainly protect the screen. But I had to take the Kindle out to read it. I don't think the cover was intended to be on while reading.

Boot time is less than 15 seconds, very quick in my opinion. But I have not found a suspend function, so every time it is put away it must be turned off. Edit: I just discovered that it has a sleep mode. A pretty picture of finches came up.

The keyboard design is not the best. It is intended to be a thumb board, but if you hold it the way they want you too it will be top heavy. (Edit: I just found a new way to hold it in my big hands that might work better. More later.) I ended up using my usual two finger typing style. It worked out okay, but I would prefer it if the keyboard had a more traditional horizontal layout.

Looking at the Kindle, I think it was intended to be held in the left hand while reading. If you want to hold it in your right hand, you might not be happy. Browsing the device, store, web is best as a two hand operation.

The menu manipulation was very easy to understand; I think anyone who has used a computer will be able to pick up the Kindle and use it immediately.

My opinion: Over the next week, I will look for things that the Kindle doesn't do as well as the Sony. I don't think there will be very many. In anything they both do, I have found the Kindle to be as good as the Sony.

Last edited by Nate the great; 11-20-2007 at 02:55 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:40 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Looking at the Kindle, I think it was intended to be held in the left hand while reading. If you want to hold it in your right hand, you might not be happy. Browsing the device, store, web is best as a two hand operation.
Can you flip it over and invert the text so you can hold the "wide side" with your right hand when your left hand gets tired?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2007, 08:07 AM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
What Sony do you have? 500 or 505?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 08:11 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
What Sony do you have? 500 or 505?
I have a PRS-500.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote