Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-14-2011, 06:34 AM   #46
toastofchaos
toastofchaos began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3SO
I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that I successfully SSH'd onto my kindle via wifi and a static IP thanks to a guide posted on this forum. I used FileZilla to do it. And now I'm wondering... It seems like you can enter these terminal commands using a program like FileZilla, but I have no idea how to do that using FileZilla. -- And I'm running 3.2.1 which might be the problem here.

Last edited by toastofchaos; 08-14-2011 at 06:40 AM.
toastofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #47
TheRedFox
TheRedFox began at the beginning.

Device: k2i
Question

So I've managed to get this terminal working (the most recent version) on my Kindle 2 international. I even managed to install bsdgames using optware (though tetris-bsd runs so choppily as to make it largely unplayable, if it's possible to fix that somehow, that would be nice, but it's not my primary concern) . The main problem is the keymap. It doesn't work very well with my k2i keyboard. The worst part is that the slash doesn't work, though the control key is also not present, and neither are any other special keys, save the shift (I've tried using shift, alt, Aa, Sym, home, next page, prev page, menu, back, all sides of the 5way button). I've looked at the keymap thing, but I wasn't really sure how to edit it.
So does anyone know how I could fix the keymap, or if there's a better terminal for k2?
Thanks to anyone who can help!
TheRedFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #48
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by centaurian View Post
Hi. Is there way how to login with private key? I have dropbear in "K3_WIFI" mode and password for root is unknown. Or how to get root password without changing it?
How to get root password:
---
#!/bin/bash
serno=$1
echo fiona$(echo $serno | md5sum | cut -b 8-10)
---
Credit goes to:
http://openinkpot.org/wiki/Device/Kindle3/RootShell

EDIT: Kindle default passwords are 8-character DES fionaXXX, but you can type extra hex digits if you want to. Also, some kindles use a root password of "mario" (in diagnostic mode).

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-01-2012 at 06:50 PM. Reason: add quote
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:26 PM   #49
Brybry
Brybry began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
This is probably slightly off topic but figured I'd put it out there:
This build of AjaxTerm was actually useful to me on my HP Touchpad/webos.
The 20101105 C binary runs as is and the ajax client works (albeit slowly).

With a little tinkering I was able to patch on part of the on-screen keyboard from WebShell so that I could have some ctrl/etc buttons.
I also kept the native on-screen keyboard up by hiding a 0px x 0px text input box behind the terminal with z-index and hooking into some events to keep it in focus.

There are other solutions out there for webos but I'm not sure any current working ones that don't require python or X11, so much thanks for the binary!
Brybry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #50
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
For those interested, this is how I run a terminal, keep aliases for handy shortcuts to commands, and even run Midnight Commander using myts:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=161833&page=2
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2011, 03:05 AM   #51
sjheiss
Connoisseur
sjheiss began at the beginning.

Device: K3G, KF2
Well, I'm glad to have gotten the terminal and MC to work, but I can't figure out how to type anything besides letters in Midnight Commander. I've tried all the keys to see if any were dead keys or anything, but nothing worked. Could someone tell me how to use it? I'd love to be able to use the editor with it.

Last edited by sjheiss; 01-02-2012 at 04:21 PM.
sjheiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:31 AM   #52
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrizzo View Post
i believe it would be good to keep a web server always on (hopefully it doesn't consume too much power) from which we could enable/disable/modify the various features (usbnetwork, launchpad configurations etc.).
No need to do that, *nix has a standard feature to run daemons "on demand" :: inetd

Ref: http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-inetd.html

Can usually be found as part of the inetutils packages if not already provided in the Kindle system.
(Hmm... I think there is a version in Busybox, depending on your bb version and if it was built.)

Note: There are other, more recent designs, of an "Internet Super Server" - I only mention inetd here because it is probably the smallest, lightest weigh, version (free from decades of "improvements").
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #53
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
@sjheiss

if you installed Matan's terminal (version 7) from his post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
Then you can use the keys I documented 4 posts below to control MC.
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:14 PM   #54
NuPogodi
Connoisseur
NuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the endNuPogodi knows the complete value of PI to the end

Device: Kindle 3, Tolino Shine, Kobo Glo
Thanks a lot for mc. I guess that only my stupidity does not allow me to run it so that i could see filenames with a proper encoding (in my case, filenames consisted of cyrillic characters).

I've successfully run mc within myts which allows me both to see and, after some tuning, to type cyrillic chars (just SYM+key). But no matter what i did with mc-itself, the double question characters (?? for one char in the non-ASCII filename) are displayed instead.

The funny thing is that, being unable to display non-ASCII characters properly, mc have nevetheless successfully created new folder with cyrillic name (F7 > SYM+keys). So, please, give me few tips:
1) is it principally possible to see non-ASCII chars in mc (say, filenames or utf8-encoded texts in mc-viewer)?
2) what should i change in the mc-configuration to have this opportunity?

Any answers and/or ideas would be appreciated.
NuPogodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 10:51 AM   #55
batman52
batman52 began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia5530 DingooA320
I have successfully installed the terminal, and now I would like to ssh to my mobile phone which runs ubuntu in a userland session ( https://userland.tech/ ) to use my old kindle3g as remote screen. I have tested ssh connection with other clients so I know is working.
I am missing the ssh client on the kindle, though. It seems from this discussion it should be available, but for whatever reason I do not seem to have. Any advice? Note I was not able yet to install the USBNetworking, since I believe I should be able to achieve my target through WiFi at first.
batman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 12:29 PM   #56
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman52 View Post
I have successfully installed the terminal, and now I would like to ssh to my mobile phone which runs ubuntu in a userland session ( https://userland.tech/ ) to use my old kindle3g as remote screen. I have tested ssh connection with other clients so I know is working.
I am missing the ssh client on the kindle, though. It seems from this discussion it should be available, but for whatever reason I do not seem to have. Any advice? Note I was not able yet to install the USBNetworking, since I believe I should be able to achieve my target through WiFi at first.
The USBNetworking package includes an ssh client (and ssh server and other good things).
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 12:51 PM   #57
batman52
batman52 began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia5530 DingooA320
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
The USBNetworking package includes an ssh client (and ssh server and other good things).
Thank you I figured that out after tweaking a bit more, and I finally reached my goal!

So this super-mobile configuration seems to work, with only 3 devices all connected wireless:
  • Mobile phone with installed Ubuntu under UserLand
  • Kindle 3G (but I assume any other ereader with a shell and ssh connection should do
  • bluetooth keyboard connected to mobile

Using screen, as explained for kindleberry the commands typed on the mobile are echoed to the shell on the kindle.

It is almost usable... latency is reasonable for typing. What bothers me is that autocompletion is not working, which is a bummer: because of that I think it is more productive to simply use UserLand in terminal mode on the mobile :-(.
batman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 01:57 PM   #58
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman52 View Post
It is almost usable... latency is reasonable for typing. What bothers me is that autocompletion is not working, which is a bummer: because of that I think it is more productive to simply use UserLand in terminal mode on the mobile :-(.
The shell on kindle is primitive, but tab completion of file names has always worked for me.

I think NiLuJe is a zsh user and zsh is in one of his packages, I think USBnetworking.

I got bash from a debian armel distro with a kernel matching my kindle.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2023, 03:59 PM   #59
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yup, USBNetwork ships ZSH with a very opinionated config .

(Note that, on Kindle, some autocompletion stuff might be broken because of Kindle reasons. I don't really recall the details).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote