Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-08-2010, 06:56 AM   #1
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Root 1.2 - Any clear explanation?

Hi,

I really like to try Root 1.2; but I need to see how each applications work before I take a plunge. Is there any video and screenshots showing them?

By the way, what does wifilocker do? Please give more explanation than what explain in the Nookdevs.com.

Thank you.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:33 AM   #2
:D ominik
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Just do it. Softrooting isn't anything other than a firmware update. If you don't like it, its no problem to get back to the original firmware. And since 1.2 you don't have to install the extension manually, they are included.

There's only one thing, you have to do with the ADB shell: everytime you go to the home menu, another menu appears first to choose between B&N Homescreen und nookLauncher. It is possible to define which one of these you want to use everytime, so that this additional (and annoying) menu doesn't appear (you need to edit a file with the ADB shell). And you will do this, since nookLauncher offers every function like the B&N Homescreen, plus much more (it is slideable, customizable and uses the beautiful classic buttons).

nookBrowser: a web browser, but believe me: you won't like to browse the web using an eInk screen. But it's usefull to login on some WiFi networks, where you need to confirm some terms & conditions in a browser.

nookLibrary: a replacement for B&N "my library" but with these differences:
- B&N books and my Documents in one listing
- Coverflow (with sideloaded books)
- Search for books in title or author
- Filter by Tags
- at the moment it uses still the old menu design

Trook: it's a feed reader and file systems browser (directory structure for your library!). Great app and the motion is really a "flow" (in contrast to the B&N coverflow)

nookWifiLocker: the WiFi connection is disconnected, when not using a B&N app with internet connection (like The Daily or Shop). To avoid this when using Trook or the web browser, you can lock (keep up) the Wifi connection.

Busybox: offers many common unix utilities

Androidvncserver: a VNC server

Bye,
Dominik

Last edited by :D ominik; 02-08-2010 at 09:37 AM.
:D ominik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Thanks Dominik. You summ them up very well. I now have better idea what I would get from rooting my Nook.

One question: If I want to default my rooted Nook with the Nook Launcher, I have to edit some file once; that's right? or If I am willing to choose between Nook menu and Nook Launcher everytime, then I don't have to deal with a ADB?

Another question: I saw one page describing how to replace Nook default font with our own font, if I replace the default font with the font set which could display both Thai and English, would it work?
Old 02-08-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
Thanks Dominik. You summ them up very well. I now have better idea what I would get from rooting my Nook.

One question: If I want to default my rooted Nook with the Nook Launcher, I have to edit some file once; that's right? or If I am willing to choose between Nook menu and Nook Launcher everytime, then I don't have to deal with a ADB?

Another question: I saw one page describing how to replace Nook default font with our own font, if I replace the default font with the font set which could display both Thai and English, would it work?
You always have to deal with ADB. You need it for the entire installation process. But it's really simple and safe.
I've tried it without any problems, went back to the original firmware though.
I only found a single feature nice to have: Sorting my sideloaded books by "last read" (or was it "most recent"? Anyway, I've been able to sort the way I usually do.)
The other features are interesting, but no "most have" for me.
Cover flow is a nice feature and should be there from the beginning. But my sideloaded pics (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...36&postcount=5) haven't been nice enough to actually use them. Probably could be optimised in "calibre", but I didn't want to spend the time.

Regarding the fonts: Should be working. Just try it, there can't go anything wrong. To my knowledge, it's unbrickable.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #5
Groupie
:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.:D ominik has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
One question: If I want to default my rooted Nook with the Nook Launcher, I have to edit some file once; that's right?
yes.

Quote:
or If I am willing to choose between Nook menu and Nook Launcher everytime, then I don't have to deal with a ADB?
yes, again.

Quote:
I don't know. Perhaps someone else tried it!?

Bye, Dominik
Old 02-08-2010, 11:14 AM   #6
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hi,

I really like to try Root 1.2; but I need to see how each applications work before I take a plunge. Is there any video and screenshots showing them?

By the way, what does wifilocker do? Please give more explanation than what explain in the Nookdevs.com.

Thank you.
Main features you get by softrooting: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...50&postcount=7
Old 02-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
Groupie

Detailled steps, how to change default home menu:

1. Enable Wifi und stay in the settings dialog (to keep the Wifi connection active)

2. Open a command shell in your android-sdk tools directory

3. Connect to your nook (How to find the IP of your nook):
Code:
adb connect NOOK_IP:5555
4. Open shell session
Code:
adb shell
5. Make a backup copy of the file, before we change it
Code:
busybox cp /data/system/packages.xml /data/system/packages.bak.xml
6. set file-owner and permission to the standard of packages.xml
Code:
chown system.system /data/system/packages.bak.xml
Code:
chmod 0664 /data/system/packages.bak.xml
7. Take a look, if everything went fine (you should see, beyond others, packages.xml AND packages.bak.xml and BOTH should have same user/group/permission-settings)
Code:
ls -l /data/system
8. Close shell session
Code:
exit
9. Download the packages.xml to your computer, pull a second time (so we get a local backup too)
Code:
adb pull /data/system/packages.xml packages.xml
Code:
adb pull /data/system/packages.xml packages.bak.xml
10. Edit the local packages.xml with an editor, e.g. Notepad, Notepad++ (not Word, Wordpad or similar programs, they will most likely destroy your file!)

There will be a line
Quote:
<preferred-activities />
Replace this line (and only this line!) with the section described here

Be careful, check twice!

11. Upload the edited file to your nook
Code:
adb push packages.xml /data/system/packages.xml
12. Open a shell session again
Code:
adb shell
13. "Repair" file-owner and permission to the standard of packages.xml
Code:
chown system.system /data/system/packages.xml
Code:
chmod 0664 /data/system/packages.xml
14. Take a look, if everything went fine (packages.xml AND packages.bak.xml should both have same user/group/permission-settings)
Code:
ls -l /data/system
15. Close shell session
Code:
exit
16. Close ADB connection
Code:
adb disconnect NOOK_IP:5555
17. Reboot your nook.

Bye,
Dominik

Last edited by :D ominik; 02-08-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:04 PM   #8
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by :D ominik View Post
Detailled steps, how to change default home menu:

1. Enable Wifi und stay in the settings dialog (to keep the Wifi connection active)

2. Open a command shell in your android-sdk tools directory

3. Connect to your nook (How to find the IP of your nook):
Code:
adb connect NOOK_IP:5555
4. Open shell session
Code:
adb shell
5. Make a backup copy of the file, before we change it
Code:
busybox cp /data/system/packages.xml /data/system/packages.bak.xml
6. set file-owner and permission to the standard of packages.xml
Code:
chown system.system /data/system/packages.bak.xml
Code:
chmod 0664 /data/system/packages.bak.xml
7. Take a look, if everything went fine (you should see, beyond others, packages.xml AND packages.bak.xml and BOTH should have same user/group/permission-settings)
Code:
ls -l /data/system
8. Close shell session
Code:
exit
9. Download the packages.xml to your computer, pull a second time (so we get a local backup too)
Code:
adb pull /data/system/packages.xml packages.xml
Code:
adb pull /data/system/packages.xml packages.bak.xml
10. Edit the local packages.xml with an editor, e.g. Notepad, Notepad++ (not Word, Wordpad or similar programs, they will most likely destroy your file!)

There will be a line
Replace this line (and only this line!) with the section described here

Be careful, check twice!

11. Upload the edited file to your nook
Code:
adb push packages.xml /data/system/packages.xml
12. Open a shell session again
Code:
adb shell
13. "Repair" file-owner and permission to the standard of packages.xml
Code:
chown system.system /data/system/packages.xml
Code:
chmod 0664 /data/system/packages.xml
14. Take a look, if everything went fine (packages.xml AND packages.bak.xml should both have same user/group/permission-settings)
Code:
ls -l /data/system
15. Close shell session
Code:
exit
16. Close ADB connection
Code:
adb disconnect NOOK_IP:5555
17. Reboot your nook.

Bye,
Dominik
Great, thanks a lot. Makes it way more comfortable!
Old 02-08-2010, 09:36 PM   #9
bthoven
Evangelist

Thanks again Dominik for your confirmation and very clear explanation.

Last edited by bthoven; 02-08-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:36 AM   #10
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
You always have to deal with ADB. You need it for the entire installation process.
No, you do not, not with the rooted/streamlined 1.2 update.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:06 AM   #11
nabour
Gaget-lovin' Nana
nabour began at the beginning.

Device: Classic Nook, Nookcolor
Question for Dominik -- Sorry to bother, but I am not versed in this type of activity, and have a couple of questions:

Everything seemed to work fine up to a point. I cut and pasted all of your fine instructions into the command lines.

But then I get to the section about editing with notepad --
1. How do I edit the local packages.xml with notepad? I know how to open notepad, and I assume I need to go to the "tools" directory to find the proper file, but I'm not sure how to go from there.

Again, apologize for such a newbie question, but I really would like for this to work. If you have time to help, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Barbara
nabour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:24 AM   #12
Groupie

Hello Barbara,

in the "Open file" dialog you'll find a drop-down list to select the file type. There you need to choose the type for "*.*", otherwise you won't see the xml-files. Then you can choose packages.xml. Or you simply drag and drop packages.xml into the notepad window.

But, I've tried it currently and noticed, that you can't use the Windows Notepad. The packages.xml uses Unix-style linebreaks which are not supported by Windows Notepad (you'll get a single endless line, instead of a file with linebreaks). Therefore you need to use an editor with Unix-style linebreak support, like Notepad++ or any other (the most do).

Bye,
Dominik
Old 02-14-2010, 08:56 AM   #13
nabour
Gaget-lovin' Nana

One more question? I have notepad++ (yes, it works much better) but I can't locate a line that says <preferred-activities /> I even used the search feature on the document and it came up with nothing.

I see several lines that read: <item name="android.permission.SET_PREFERRED-APPLICATIONS" package="android" />

Is that the line that I should be editing? And, if so, should I edit the first instance of that line, or the last instance (the one toward the top or the one toward the bottom)?

Or, in your prof opinion, should I quit now and just deal with the menu issue on nook?

Appreciate it.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:43 AM   #14
nabour
Gaget-lovin' Nana

Dominick -- I don't think I need to bother you anymore -- look at what was posted elsewhere:

Turns out you dont need ADB to remove the homescreen issue. the new build has the option to set Nooklauncher as the default option. look for it in nooklauncher settings

Thank you for your earlier help.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:08 PM   #15
mgmueller
Member Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by :D ominik View Post
Hello Barbara,

in the "Open file" dialog you'll find a drop-down list to select the file type. There you need to choose the type for "*.*", otherwise you won't see the xml-files. Then you can choose packages.xml. Or you simply drag and drop packages.xml into the notepad window.

But, I've tried it currently and noticed, that you can't use the Windows Notepad. The packages.xml uses Unix-style linebreaks which are not supported by Windows Notepad (you'll get a single endless line, instead of a file with linebreaks). Therefore you need to use an editor with Unix-style linebreak support, like Notepad++ or any other (the most do).

Bye,
Dominik
It's not very convenient, but it can be done in notepad. Used it without any problems.