Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-07-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
godzilla
godzilla began at the beginning.

Device: none
How to create a file with DRM?

I'm a novice on e-book. How to create a file(bbeb, pdf, etc) which can't be copied to other devices?
godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 02:37 AM   #2
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
Sorry, I have no idea how to create a file with DRM, but someone may come along who can help.

Just out of curiosity though, why do you want to DRM a file? Is it something you have written that you want to share?
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:33 AM   #3
godzilla
godzilla began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly View Post
Just out of curiosity though, why do you want to DRM a file? Is it something you have written that you want to share?
I'm a student in computer science, and the PRS-505 I ordered will arrive soon. I'm just interested in DRM.
godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
djgreedo
Addict
djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djgreedo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G, HP Touchpad (Android), Samsung Omnia 7
I think you would need to licence the DRM scheme you wish to use (from Adobe/Sony or whoever). For example you can't DRM a song for playing on an iPod without using Apple's DRM scheme. Try searching the Adobe website.

FWIW, I think for purchased content (as opposed to rental/subscription content), DRM is horrible and hinders the end user, so I don't recommend it. It's trivially easy to crack, and therefore only has a negative effect on those who actually buy the media legitimately and want to use it in a reasonable way (e.g. on multiple computers/devices they own). For example, you can download pretty much any music CD illegally with no limitations on usage, whereas if you buy a DRM'd copy of the album legitimately, you won't be able to use the music on any device that doesn't support the DRM scheme.
djgreedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:37 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Mobipocket Creator (free from Mobipocket) has options to add DRM to a Mobi/prc file, but I don't know much about the feature, never used it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Mobipocket is not supported on the 500/505
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:12 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
Mobipocket is not supported on the 500/505
I know, but he also said 'I'm just interested in DRM' and Mobi was the one that came to mind if he just wanted to mess around with it.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Most DRM schemes don't allow the casual user to create DRMed ebooks.

There is usually a central server in the loop some where. With MobiPocket you can create a DRMed ebook "template" but it has to be sent to mobipocket for customization for an actual device (1-4 device PIDs). With Adobe ADEPT the DRM is again controlled via Adobe servers (1-6 devices per account), but I'm not sure how publishers upload content.

If you are in the US, be aware of the DMCA before researching DRM. There are similar laws in some other countries.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote