Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-01-2016, 01:17 PM   #556
mrpotts
Enthusiast
mrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Digital Paper, Amazon Paperwhite
One other thing;

Has anyone found a good small reading light for the Sony DPT that clips on the reader?

Thanks again,
Phil
mrpotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:29 PM   #557
Aurinko
Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Aurinko is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpotts View Post
Has anybody had difficulty charging? I have since it was out of the box and I called Sony in September 2015 to document it. Now, I am almost up to a year and called again saying I am still having charging issues and concerned about losing my notes. They said they would replace it and gave me a claim number.
Can you specify the problem?

Are you having problem with charging the device, or the device holding the charge?

Although USB stands for universal serial bus and there are standards and specifications, not all USB gear adheres to them. Did you use the cable that came with the device, did you try other cables, and where did you draw the current from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpotts View Post
Is there an easier way to get your notes off this device other then 'Send' each note one at I time to your WebDev account? (Box.com for me).
Why don't you just mount the device as mass storage and copy the files? (Windows does this by default when you connect it to a computer with the USB cable)
Aurinko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 03:43 PM   #558
88%
88% began at the beginning.

Device: DPTS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
You have to add the import tax - which is not at all small, I reckon to be around 30% if not 40%.
When I ordered mine, B&H gave me an option to select that they would include the customs charges for me in the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurinko View Post
I'd imagine that the materials have been chosen so that the screen surface is harder than the tips. This logic may not necessarily hold if you mix tips and screens from different vendors.
Agreed. My fear of damaging the screen is the only reason that I won't get Mont Blanc's stylus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abend View Post
Sometimes it is difficult to turn pages when files are around 1,5 MB and more.
The process is so slow.
I guess it depends what are you considering "slow." I've had nothing but flawless results until recently, when I got some scanned pdfs that I had a coworker prepare for me. The 'thinking' icon would appear when opening these files and when turning pages. Highlighting was unusable. I'm not sure if this is what you're talking about or not. The file size was not overly large. I tried pulling the files apart into tiff files and rebuilding them but got the same result. I'm not sure what caused this. My only guess is the the files may have been scanned in greyscale (I always prep my own files in B&W). I haven't had any issues at all with any other files including a scanned 800 page file (28MB). I've only used the DPTS1 for text so far no images.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurinko View Post
Why don't you just mount the device as mass storage and copy the files? (Windows does this by default when you connect it to a computer with the USB cable)
Mac has the same behaviour.
88% is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:12 AM   #559
T.W.G
Enthusiast
T.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of lightT.W.G is a glorious beacon of light

Device: prs-505
Yesterday I finally received the original Sony book style hardcover for my DPT-S1:

http://www.sony.jp/digital-paper/pro...SC-DPTS1P02BK/

MSC-DPTS1P02BK

First impression: It stinks like hell! Chemical flavor at its best. It's definitely fake leather. The cover can be used for left and right handed users which is a big plus. Pen holders are on both sides and you have to install small adhesive/glued foam feets. I've just installed two of them, maybe all four are better protection while closing the cover.
The cover does not stay closed on its own. It feels very stable like you can't bend it and it should keep harm from the display away.
The dimensions are very scarce compared to the device dimensions. Left and right side has enough space but the top and bottom side of the device have to be aligned 100% correct to not let one side of the device leak out of the cover. It is fitted with some kind of adhesive foil which allows to remove your device not very easily. I didn't try to shake the device of the cover heavily but when I just hold the cover open and the DPT-S1 is hanging around, the adhesive keeps him inside the cover. I don't know how secure it is and I do NOT want to test this out. ;-)
The fake leather is black and has a little glare to it.

It gives definitely more protection than the original Sony cover that comes with the unit. So I will continue to use the new cover. It's not the best cover on earth but it does the job. I only strongly hope that this chemical fragrance will be gone very fast as I love my life and HATE those China crap chemicals.

All in all I would buy it again but it's a little bit to expensive for the choosen material.
T.W.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 07:03 AM   #560
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
I wish there was a way to insert cross-references (goto page ...) in a document like one can insert notes. Has anyone figured out a contact at Sony who could be harassed into accepting wishes?
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:19 AM   #561
umeshg
Enthusiast
umeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Sony DPTS-1
I use this as my cover

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B008IQZ81Y?pc_redir=T1
umeshg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:08 PM   #562
mrpotts
Enthusiast
mrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-booksmrpotts has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Digital Paper, Amazon Paperwhite
The charging problem for me was the device itself. I swapped AC plugs and multiple cables without any conditional change. I've been careful with the devices MicroUSB charging port since it's been out of the box because I know these are fragile. Just a bum unit which Sony has honored the warranty with.

I'd like to post a pic of my case but I'm on my phone so not sure if I can. It a double sided thin metal diamond plate case I made myself. It could handle Afghanistan

Cheers,
Phil
mrpotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:38 PM   #563
88%
88% began at the beginning.

Device: DPTS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.W.G View Post
Yesterday I finally received the original Sony book style hardcover for my DPT-S1:

http://www.sony.jp/digital-paper/pro...SC-DPTS1P02BK/

MSC-DPTS1P02BK
Thanks for the thorough review. I've been thinking of picking one of these up but after reading your comments am having second thoughts. I thought that being an official Sony product the build quality would be higher.

Any chance you could post some pictures?
88% is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:55 PM   #564
ManDay
E-Reader
ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ManDay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1
Does anyone else have the problem that when the device is put to "Sleep mode" from within the Viewer and then woken up again, the "fast scrolling" is broken to the effect that what you see in the "fast scroll" is offset from the place where it stops? I've had this behaviour since the beginning and was hoping Sony would fix it but it's still there even with the latest updates for me.
ManDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:55 PM   #565
Dan23
Connoisseur
Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-S1, K4NT
I'm thinking of finally buying one of these and before I do - a question:
I would like to read books on the Sony in two columns in landscape mode. With calibre, can I convert my epubs to two column landscape pdfs. As another option, can the Sony display two pages side by side in landscape mode for reading purposes (where one swipe turns to the next two). Thanks.
Dan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:53 PM   #566
Shinra tensei
Connoisseur
Shinra tensei shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Shinra tensei shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Shinra tensei shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Shinra tensei shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Shinra tensei shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Shinra tensei shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Shinra tensei shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Shinra tensei shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Shinra tensei shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Shinra tensei shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Shinra tensei shapes the world with his or her thoughts.

Device: Sony DPT-s1, Pocketbook 903, Onyx M90, iPad 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan23 View Post
I'm thinking of finally buying one of these and before I do - a question:
I would like to read books on the Sony in two columns in landscape mode. With calibre, can I convert my epubs to two column landscape pdfs. As another option, can the Sony display two pages side by side in landscape mode for reading purposes (where one swipe turns to the next two). Thanks.
Yes, Sony DPT-S1 can do this
Shinra tensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:39 PM   #567
Dan23
Connoisseur
Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dan23 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinra tensei View Post
Yes, Sony DPT-S1 can do this
Follow up question. I just got the device - I cannot seem to do two page view without toolbar on the bottom and wasted space on top. Any way to have two page view without toolbars like in the one page view. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2016, 10:07 AM   #568
Dan23
Connoisseur

PSA: Price just dropped to 599.
Old 07-17-2016, 03:26 PM   #569
umeshg
Enthusiast
umeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texanumeshg might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Sony DPTS-1
Interesting are we expecting a release of a new Sony 13 inch reader!
umeshg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:33 PM   #570
Shinra tensei
Connoisseur
Shinra tensei shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Shinra tensei shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Shinra tensei shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Shinra tensei shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Shinra tensei shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Shinra tensei shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Shinra tensei shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Shinra tensei shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Shinra tensei shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Shinra tensei shapes the world with his or her thoughts.Shinra tensei shapes the world with his or her thoughts.

Device: Sony DPT-s1, Pocketbook 903, Onyx M90, iPad 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan23 View Post
Follow up question. I just got the device - I cannot seem to do two page view without toolbar on the bottom and wasted space on top. Any way to have two page view without toolbars like in the one page view. Thanks.
I tried invane; I think that with the present firware two page view without toolbar is not possible
Shinra tensei is offline   Reply With Quote