Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #136
Lespaul
Enthusiast
Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.Lespaul is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
http://www.myimg.de/?img=IMG72051ef82.jpg

this is using a linux machine to run the java client to look at win7 pc whos running a vm with ubuntu
Lespaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 03:03 PM   #137
guannais
guannais , Klaatu Barada Niktu!guannais , Klaatu Barada Niktu!guannais , Klaatu Barada Niktu!guannais , Klaatu Barada Niktu!guannais , Klaatu Barada Niktu!guannais , Klaatu Barada Niktu!guannais , Klaatu Barada Niktu!guannais , Klaatu Barada Niktu!guannais , Klaatu Barada Niktu!guannais , Klaatu Barada Niktu!guannais , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: onyx boox m92
I noticed that when I set up the wifi device (by console commands) it goes down misteriously. I ping my e-book reader and it only works just after setting up wlan0 device, when changing between screens, when I open the browser and when the USB cable is plugged...

After getting crazy at least twice :P I found what is happening and how to avoid the problem: the infamous "system_manager". That odious process tries to enter the system in power saving mode continuously if the USB cable is not connected or if the system load is under about 10%, but I discovered how, it is something like:

echo mem > /sys/power/state

well, not with "echo" command, it does it with "open" and "write" calls, but the effect is the same. So, how to avoid "system_manager" doing that? This is my approach:

mkdir --parents /tmp/.real/sys/power
mkdir --parents /tmp/.fake/sys/power
mount -o bind /sys/power /tmp/.real/sys/power
cd /tmp/.fake/sys/power
ln -s /tmp/.real/sys/power/led led
ln -s /tmp/.real/sys/power/pm_async pm_async
echo -n mem > state
mount -o bind /tmp/.fake/sys/power /sys/power

With "mount -o bind" you can mount an existing directory onto another. So I recreate a fake "/sys/power" directory and mount it to make both system_manager and me happy
guannais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #138
kartturi
kartturi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!kartturi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!kartturi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!kartturi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!kartturi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!kartturi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!kartturi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!kartturi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!kartturi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!kartturi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!kartturi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Hello all,

here's my long-term dream of what I would like to have eventually ported to Onyx M92 or one of its successors:

A hand-writing recognition system coupled to REP-loop/editor of my/your dream interpreted dynamical language, like Scheme, Python, Ruby, Factor or R. That is, one could scribble down a function definition, execute/interpret it immediately, meaning in Lisp-like languages as soon as the user writes the matching closing parenthesis of (define ...), and get the results on the screen. And with a statistics package like R, could draw plots, and so on. Could port some spreadsheet as well.

And as we have a stylus, it should be much less primitive than with just touch-screen tablets. See for example what is proposed here:
http://prezi.com/dwan2dzzlhmo/touchi...nt-on-tablets/

So, reading all the previous messages in this thread, it seems that there are all kinds of problems before one could even start thinking developing anything like this.
But I hope that Onyx International or some other manufacturer would see the light, out of the current "e-readers are just for reading"-box, and start imagining what new kind of killer applications one could develop for this platform, if there were no artificial hindrances set up on the way.
kartturi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:14 AM   #139
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle: 2xKeyboard, Classic, 2xTouch, 2xPW, PW2; Onyx: Boox M92
Here's little teaser: running native Debian on M92. More info soon.

seaniko7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #140
Kirith
schoolteacher
Kirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Onyx M92 +i62HD(m)+M92(m)x20+M90x13
Quote:
Originally Posted by seaniko7 View Post
Here's little teaser: running native Debian on M92. More info soon.
It is very interesting ... Is this in the virtual machine has been started?

Это очень интересно... В виртуальной машине запущено?
Kirith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:33 AM   #141
seaniko7
wannabe developer
seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.seaniko7 can grok the meaning of the universe.

Nope, it's running off SD card. However, for development I use chrooted version of Debian inside Onyx OS. Installation required some kernel modification.

For now I have working:
- devpts support
- ssh over wifi
- virtual framebuffer support
- loopback, ext3, ext2 support (for debian mounting)
- kexec support
- dual booting (needs some polishing, though)
- X server support
- VNC client / VNC server (very responsive)
- proprietary display controllers (for framebuffer management outside Onyx OS)
- lzma kernel compression
- Ability to install any update (Booxtor/ArtaTech/etc)

To do:
- Touchscreen support
- Wireless support (in native debian)
- Power management (in native debian)
- USB OTG support
Old 05-06-2013, 08:10 AM   #142
crazydog
error
crazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Keyboard, M92
@seaniko7

wow that's amazing...

I would really like to try it
crazydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:38 AM   #143
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
Nope, it's running off SD card. However, for development I use chrooted version of Debian inside Onyx OS. Installation required some kernel modification.
Will be possible to simply boot it from the sd card without modifying
the 'regular' firmware that we have from the vendors?
I don't have a dual boot computer since win98/redhat 6.1 time :-)
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #144
seaniko7
wannabe developer

Yup, it will be possible without modifying host os, although installation of improved kernel is necessary.

I don't think I'll get touchscreen working, as its interpreter is based on software layer (touch_server, touch_client using unix socket). But if I manage to enable OTG support it won't be an issue...

If you would like to contribute, here are forked kernel sources (it's a pity, Onyx removed them from their original repository, which obviously is a GPL violation) :
https://github.com/intromatyk/public_kernel/tree/iMX508
Old 05-07-2013, 09:45 AM   #145
onyxuser
onyxuser began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Carta
Quote:
Yup, it will be possible without modifying host os, although installation of improved kernel is necessary.

I don't think I'll get touchscreen working, as its interpreter is based on software layer (touch_server, touch_client using unix socket). But if I manage to enable OTG support it won't be an issue...

If you would like to contribute, here are forked kernel sources (it's a pity, Onyx removed them from their original repository, which obviously is a GPL violation) :
https://github.com/intromatyk/public_kernel/tree/iMX508
seaniko7, thank you, this is what I missed

where did you get the missing assembly code?
onyxuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:56 AM   #146
seaniko7
wannabe developer

Onyx kernel sources doesn't diverge that much from Freescale, so I gave it a try and copied all assembly from i.MX branch.

Oh, one more thing. I'll release flasher and dropbear installer soon, for those of you, who would like to use ssh over Wifi.

Last edited by seaniko7; 05-07-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #147
onyxuser
onyxuser began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max Carta
Quote:
Onyx kernel sources doesn't diverge that much from Freescale, so I gave it a try and copied all assembly from i.MX branch.
could you tell from what Freescale repo branch and commit you have taken the missing code?

I mean this: http://git.freescale.com/git/cgit.cg...git/refs/heads

Last edited by onyxuser; 05-07-2013 at 10:26 AM.
onyxuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #148
seaniko7
wannabe developer

https://github.com/lgeek/linux-2.6.35.3-imx53

BTW. USB OTG works, my M92 has just recognized usb keyboard and flash drive.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #149
Kirith
schoolteacher
Kirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Onyx M92 +i62HD(m)+M92(m)x20+M90x13
Quote:
BTW. USB OTG works, my M92 has just recognized usb keyboard and flash drive.
It's great! We are waiting for the beta version ... And what about the mouse? No icon and functionality?

Здорово! Ждём бета-версии с нетерпением... А как с мышью? Нет значка и функционала?
Kirith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:55 PM   #150
seaniko7
wannabe developer

Mouse works as well. I can monitor raw input events from /dev/, but still they need to be integrated with X11 server.