Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 07:17 PM   #46
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Latest version of Jellybean and enough storage left.
And the lag is not just in the Kindle app.
It seems slow whenever processing lots of files.
Make sure you don't have an rogue app on your hands. I've dealt with a couple on different devices. I've had one app that worked fine on my phone but cause havoc on my Kindle Fire. A factory reset fixed it for me. I no longer install every app that looks interesting. Even with the SGP5 I got yesterday I've been careful only to put tried and trusted apps on it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:32 AM   #47
MattW
Connoisseur
MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MattW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS 505, Sony PRS T2, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
If I may quote another forum member: [Moderator: Please do not quote other member's words from another thread. They carry no more weight than your own. If you must, you should give a link back to the original context.]
Huh!?

I did not get to read the quote, but I honestly do not see how this could violate any posting guidelines. If it was impolite, derogatory or insulting, then, ok, by all means censor it.

But while it may be true that a quote does not carry more weight than one's own words, I don't see why one shouldn't be allowed to quote another thread at all. That's not a good reason; you shouldn't censor posts based on how well-thought out their argument is. It's not like carrying the whole discussion over from one thread to the next; it's just making a point using someone else's words -- which were, presumably, more succinct than one's own would've been.

If we start censoring posts based on how well-articulated they are or whether or not the opinion expressed is coherent and stands up to a high level of rational scrutiny, this forum will become boring very, very quickly.

Let people argue (in a polite & civil manner, of course), let them quote their favourite authors, board members and celebrities. That's how discussion on the net works. I agree the whole Apple vs. Android vs. Amazon debate is a lot like political fighting (i.e. more passionate and tiring than rational), but this is what people *do* in placed like this.

Just my 2 cents
Matt

Last edited by MattW; 11-07-2012 at 05:33 AM. Reason: typo
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:39 AM   #48
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Latest version of Jellybean and enough storage left.
And the lag is not just in the Kindle app.
It seems slow whenever processing lots of files.
Easy - You have too much in the cache. You'll want to go through each app and clear it in App Info. It'll make things much more snappier again.

On rooted devices with the ClockworkMod Recovery, it is as easy as pushing a button. Which IMO, is the best reason for rooting devices as you can't do this very easily otherwise.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #49
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
Easy - You have too much in the cache. You'll want to go through each app and clear it in App Info. It'll make things much more snappier again.

On rooted devices with the ClockworkMod Recovery, it is as easy as pushing a button. Which IMO, is the best reason for rooting devices as you can't do this very easily otherwise.
Still: I don't have any lag on other Android devices, with way more apps.
On Sony Tablet P (still one of my favorites) I've got a 64GB Micro SD card, almost entirely filled with apps and content. No lag at all...

Last edited by mgmueller; 11-07-2012 at 02:53 PM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #50
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Make sure you don't have an rogue app on your hands. I've dealt with a couple on different devices. I've had one app that worked fine on my phone but cause havoc on my Kindle Fire. A factory reset fixed it for me. I no longer install every app that looks interesting. Even with the SGP5 I got yesterday I've been careful only to put tried and trusted apps on it.
Hmmmm...
Worth considering.
But I've got exactly the same apps on Nexus 7 as on other Android tablets.
On some other tablets I have additional apps, due to the lack of expansion on Nexus 7.
But I haven't got a single app on Nexus 7, which I don't have on at least 5 other Android tablets.
But in general, there seem to be significant differences between the numerous Android tablets re. speed.
Scrolling through the list of installed apps in settings seems to stress performance on some tablets.
On some, you have the icons and the details in an instant.
On some, you can't even scroll fluently.
Nexus 7, at least my unit, is of the latter variety.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 03:35 PM   #51
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Hmmmm...
Worth considering.
But I've got exactly the same apps on Nexus 7 as on other Android tablets.
On some other tablets I have additional apps, due to the lack of expansion on Nexus 7.
But I haven't got a single app on Nexus 7, which I don't have on at least 5 other Android tablets.
But in general, there seem to be significant differences between the numerous Android tablets re. speed.
Scrolling through the list of installed apps in settings seems to stress performance on some tablets.
On some, you have the icons and the details in an instant.
On some, you can't even scroll fluently.
Nexus 7, at least my unit, is of the latter variety.
Not all apps act the same on all devices. I've learned that the hard way. So check your apps. I have an app called: Happily Ever After. It's a Romance Blog for USA Today. It works fine on two of my devices but go nuts on my third one.

I've also had an app go bad suddenly. Removing it, restarting then reinstalling fix it. Every device is different. It could be you Nexus 7 is defective but I'd try a factory reset before drawing that conclusion.

As for cleaning out caches. I use History Eraser Pro for that. I don't know if it works for Ice Cream but there is a free ad supported version. I try to keep ad supported apps off my devices if I can.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #52
Klim Chugunkin
Enthusiast
Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: V3+, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by tron_1970 View Post
Apple uses a higher quality lcd unlike the competitors. There is a reason why an IPS 24" monitor goes for $500+, while a TN 24" monitor is $199.
Can you name at least one "apple competitor" that uses TN panels in their tablets? Let's check... apple -- IPS panel, nexus 7 -- IPS panel, kindle fire -- IPS panel. So, how exactly are apple's displays of higher quality then those of the competitors?

With upcoming Nexus 10 tablet at 300ppi apple no longer has a single panel that is not bested by competition. Wake up from apple propaganda and start paying attention to the actual facts.
Klim Chugunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 06:29 PM   #53
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klim Chugunkin View Post
So, how exactly are apple's displays of higher quality then those of the competitors?
It's the baby unicorn powder they use in the manufacturing process.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #54
tron_1970
tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tron_1970 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klim Chugunkin View Post
Can you name at least one "apple competitor" that uses TN panels in their tablets? Let's check... apple -- IPS panel, nexus 7 -- IPS panel, kindle fire -- IPS panel. So, how exactly are apple's displays of higher quality then those of the competitors?

With upcoming Nexus 10 tablet at 300ppi apple no longer has a single panel that is not bested by competition. Wake up from apple propaganda and start paying attention to the actual facts.
I will give you another example, you may know that the current iMac 27" monitor is using an IPS screen of 2560-by-1440 resolution and is sold for over $1500.

There are a few monitors that use the same 27" 2560-by-1440 resolution, I have one of them the Dell U2711 which when I purchased it was about $1200. You can now find that same monitor going on sale for $999.

Now through ebay you can find certain Chinese sellers selling a 27" 2560-by-1440 resolution monitor between $299 to $499. Why is that? They are using A- grade monitors that Apple has rejected due to not meeting certain standards set by Apple.

If you decide to purchase these $299 monitors, you may get one with backlight bleed, dead pixels, uneven lighting, no OSD, etc.

However, I found out after my previous comment I made that Apple IS NOW the one that is using a lower standard IPS. As mention by this review:

http://www.displaymate.com/iPad_mini_ShootOut_1.htm

So in essence the iPad mini is the inferior IPS display compared to the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD.

Last edited by tron_1970; 11-07-2012 at 11:59 PM. Reason: clarification
tron_1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 01:03 AM   #55
Klim Chugunkin
Enthusiast
Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Klim Chugunkin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: V3+, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by tron_1970 View Post
So in essence the iPad mini is the inferior IPS display compared to the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire HD.
Bingo!

P.S. Cheap Chinese brands are not apple's competitors.
Klim Chugunkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #56
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Amazon pre-tests apps for the KF1G and KFHD. Thus, if you limit apps for those two devices, you should be safe. Its sideloading from other sites which have increased risks.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #57
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
If I were you I might factory reset. Some people on xda state that after the update, I the only way to get the N7 up to speed was to start from scratch
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:43 PM   #58
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And oh yeah, one of the things people are mentioning across reviews and message boards... If you're going to buy one, go into the store, buy it, and open it right then and there in front of them so in case you don't like it, they can exchange it then and there. There are differences in the display, like some being fuzzy, others being warm, etc. Mine is perfect, but it does vary.[/QUOTE]

I haven't come across anything mentioning differences regarding the displays. There is a disparity for sure with folk's feeling about the screen but no one even thought to bring up an inquiry if there was indeed disparity amongst units. You'd think someone somewhere I've read would have thought of this possibility.

Can you point me to some sources for differences?

At this point opening one up and exchanging it isn't easy. In my parts, there are none in stock anywhere close.

Last edited by robertc88; 11-11-2012 at 09:46 PM.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 08:29 AM   #59
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Had a chance to check out one of these in the store and boy is that text fuzzy. I can understand someone wanting to get one of these over the Nexus 7 but I can't understand anyone wanting one over a Retina mini. If you've got money to throw away then I guess that's your prerogative but I would definitely be waiting another year for a retina version.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 02:03 PM   #60
robertc88
Fanatic
robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robertc88 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Had a chance to check out one of these in the store and boy is that text fuzzy. I can understand someone wanting to get one of these over the Nexus 7 but I can't understand anyone wanting one over a Retina mini. If you've got money to throw away then I guess that's your prerogative but I would definitely be waiting another year for a retina version.
Not as fuzzy in landscape mode but still.

Some folks are giving up as much as an Ipad3 putting it up for sale when they tried and liked the mini. The main reason is the form factor. Not sure I would do that to tell the truth given the much better specs of the 3rd gen. Not sure what price their device is commanding, hopefully it was reasonable.
robertc88 is offline   Reply With Quote