Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-31-2010, 02:06 PM   #1
zartemis
Addict
zartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it iszartemis knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3, Kindle2, Nook, NookColor
SlideIT Keyboard with cut/paste on sale (root)

If you are an experienced android user with a rooted NC and miss being able to long press on an input field and cut/paste (or you are becoming an experienced android user and want cut/paste) you might be interested in this keyboard:

SlideIt -- a swiping keyboard with predictive text and cut/paste keys. Video demo here. The full pay version is currently on sale for half price (around $4 US instead of $8 US).

I use it in conjunction with LastPass which stores all my passwords securely. If I need to enter a password into an app, I switch out of the app into LastPass, go to the entry, long press, and copy the password to the clipboard. Then back to the app and use the 'paste' key on the SlideIT keyword to paste it in the right field. On most android devices you can long press on the input field and get a paste option. This doesn't currently work on the NC.

Also, the swiping as entry is pretty cool, but I think it makes more sense on smaller devices. Takes a bit to learn how to work it, although traditional hunt and peck works too (and you can switch the keyboard to pure touch to pick with the ABC slider if swiping is just not for you).
zartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zartemis View Post
...On most android devices you can long press on the input field and get a paste option. This doesn't currently work on the NC.
Yes, I noticed this. Not good.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
Rayven01
Nevermore
Rayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRayven01 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Nook, Nook Color, Stanza(iphone)
Long-press paste actually does work, it's just inconsistent. Sometimes it works first try, sometimes I have to tap-and-hold 5 or 6 times before getting the paste option.
Rayven01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This keyboard rocks! Finally something that allows me to type accurately, quickly. I actually found the swype feature to work great on the big screen. I was used to swype on my phone, but having it on the big screen is wonderful. Just tested it by typing a note; something I previously dreaded doing. Used swype and was done in no time. Very accurate.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
How's it sound?
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:55 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by KryptoNyte View Post
How's it sound?
There's no tap, tap, tappy.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:01 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
There's no tap, tap, tappy.
Woops! I misspoke. Just checked the settings because I remembered seeing something about sound notification. Sure enough...check the box, increase volume, and tap, tap, tappy! If you didn't ask, I probably would never have enabled it.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:12 PM   #8
KryptoNyte
Shepherd
KryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enoughKryptoNyte will become famous soon enough

Device: Nook Color, LG Optimus V
No way!!! Well, going to have to get it then ...
KryptoNyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:11 PM   #9
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
How does that keyboard work if you're not a good typist or speller and start sliding in one direction & then realize you need to be going in another direction? Or if you hesitate between end points because you're not sure where you're going? Or maybe sneeze half way through?

I not a good speller and still have to search the keyboard for the keys I need.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #10
SCION
Séduisant

It only works when you know where you need to be going. Your finger movement needs to be smooth. Stopping and starting doesn't work. I'm referring to the Swype/Slide functionality.

There's an option to use it as a regular keyboard.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:22 PM   #11
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
@SCION does this app require special install steps or can it be loaded from the Market?

Thanks in advance.
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 03:27 PM   #12
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
@SCION does this app require special install steps or can it be loaded from the Market?

Thanks in advance.
=X=
Yes, it requires special steps. You download it from the Market, but if you want to use NOOKcolor Tools (Choose Keyboard), you need to place the .apk in /system/app. I had to change user permissions for the file as well. Then rebooted. Back to NOOKcolor Tools (Choose Keyboard).

I used Root Explorer for this.
Old 01-01-2011, 05:53 PM   #13
opoteat
opoteat began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
@Scion... more specific details?

@Scion can you be more specific on instructions? I've tried several times to make this work but no luck. In fact, in trying I seemed to have put my NC in a state that the keyboard would never popup at all... so reset it to factory and now here I am again. I used ADB to push the apk to /system/app directory. It still doesn't show up in the list of keyboards. Thanks in advance. Owen
opoteat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:56 PM   #14
opoteat
opoteat began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Never mind... rebooted and magically it was there! Cool!
opoteat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:58 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by opoteat View Post
@Scion can you be more specific on instructions? I've tried several times to make this work but no luck. In fact, in trying I seemed to have put my NC in a state that the keyboard would never popup at all... so reset it to factory and now here I am again. I used ADB to push the apk to /system/app directory. It still doesn't show up in the list of keyboards. Thanks in advance. Owen
Move the app into the /system/app directory. Click on it. Install it. Then check the permissions of the .apk in the /system/app directory. When I moved mine to that directory and installed from there, nothing was checked for User permissions. I had to check all three boxes. Then I rebooted.

Edit: you don't have to reset to factory if you lose your keyboard. The stock keyboard should still be available for use. You may have to change the file name back to what it ws originally. Check the /system/app directory. The stock keyboard is LatinIMe.apk. The extension may have been changed so that the keyboard is not called. I changed mine to LatinIME.bak. Anyway, rename it back to LatinIME.apk and you'll get the stock keyboard back. That is unless autonooter removed the file instead of renaming it.

Last edited by SCION; 01-01-2011 at 06:03 PM.