Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #16
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
A strange decision. I'm guessing they want to use the UK as a test market and see how it goes. We have to keep in mind that amazon is not just a bookstore anymore. They do resemble Argos more and more in the variety of products they sell, so maybe they are moving towards that model. Then, there are novelty products like the kindles (yes they are new to most people). Sonys are much more popular here, I'm sure partly because people can see them in shops and play with them. If they had some products on display in their shops, like Argos again, maybe more people would be willing to spend on a kindle. But still...Just when they are getting strong on ebooks, mp3 and generally digital instead of corporeal products, to think of now opening a brick and mortar store..Plus, for this to have a possibility to work, they'd have to open shops everywhere. We'll see I guess...
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 02:43 PM   #17
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
The Royal Mail is perceived as increasingly expensive and unreliable (e.g. current industrial dispute). Maybe this is a shot across their bows; or Amazon genuinely feel they need a better distribution system than the mail can offer.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2009, 04:22 PM   #18
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I think Amazon booths would be more effective for flogging ebooks specifically, but I suppose Amazon sell a wide range of items including TVs and all kinds of things. It could simply be a flagship kind of store, where people browse 'hot' products then get it delivered?

But on the subject of ebook booths - Amazon booths should be in every major shopping centre! Especially overseas shopping centres where you could get books and skip the $2 surcharge. They would do well with impulse shoppers.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #19
taylork1
taylork1 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taylork1 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taylork1 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.taylork1 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: sony reader 505
Amazon Denies

From Reuters:

LONDON (Reuters) - Amazon.com Inc (AMZN.O), the world's largest online retailer, has no plans to open stores anywhere in the world, it said on Sunday, in response to a report it was planning to open high street shops in Britain.

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE5B50KG20091206
taylork1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:34 PM   #20
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Wow, Amazon is usually pretty tight lipped about its business plans. For them to deny this report says something in itself. I mean they didn't even wait until Monday to address the issue, so I can just imagine the phone calls that were flying around today.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert