Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 08-31-2009, 07:09 AM   #1
MrKayMrKay
MrKayMrKay began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, iPhone 4s, iPad
Missing feature in every reader...

Hi Gang,

As many of you, I'm a compulsive reader always waiting for a new chapter to stop my reading.

The problem is that, with a real book you can easily find the next chapter and see how many pages are to be read to get there...

With an e-book reader it's much more tricky...

So, I think it could be great to have a counter at the top of the screen which indicates the number of remaining pages until the end of the current chapter!

It's nice to see that you're page 568 out of 1036 in the book, but imho it could be really nice to have this kind of information regarding the chapter you're reading...

What do you think of it?

Kay

PS: I know you can have an idea by looking at the progress bar, but I think a numeric value would be much more useful.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:16 AM   #2
grega_g
grega_g began at the beginning.

Device: hanlin v3
i think you are stretching the term useful. Indicator bar is enough for me (and everyone i know).
Advert
Old 08-31-2009, 07:33 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
That's exactly the feature I implemented in the "chapter bar" I put in my PDFs

Try this one, for instance.

I too hope some reader will add this for ePUB books, at least...
Old 08-31-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega_g View Post
i think you are stretching the term useful.
Actually, it would be useful, but it certainly is not a critical feature. I also like to wait for a chapter boundary to stop reading too.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:59 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
With a Sony Reader, you can go to the external ToC and see what page number each chapter starts on. So you'll know how far you have to go until you get to the next chapter.
Advert
Old 08-31-2009, 12:10 PM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
When it was still working (a boring story) my Sony PRS-505 told me exactly where I was in a book at the foot of every page display. I agree, Mr Kay, that knowing how much is to come is vital to a reading chap or chappette. Cheers. Neil
Old 08-31-2009, 02:27 PM   #7
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
Actually, it would be useful, but it certainly is not a critical feature. I also like to wait for a chapter boundary to stop reading too.
I agree but for me a more useful feature would be to optionally put title/author at the top of the page as the Kindle 1 does. I say optionally because not everyone would want it just as not everyone wants the "Indicator" at the bottom of the page to be on. It even has the option to increase the size, which helps older eyes like mine a great deal. The title/author could/should be similarly optional.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:41 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I find the section marks on the indicator bar to be a sufficient marker for chapters. However, optionally adding a chapter end to the indicator page count might be useful, e.g. 568/1036 becomes 568/619/1036.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKayMrKay View Post
The problem is that, with a real book you can easily find the next chapter and see how many pages are to be read to get there...
A book-like work around is to press #5 to go to the next chapter, and see its page count on the indicator bar. Then press #1 to go back to where you were before.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:37 PM   #10
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Why is this in the OpenInkpot forum? Maybe a mod could move it before dottedmag gets cross ...
Old 09-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
Why is this in the OpenInkpot forum?
It is about OpenInkPot. At least that is my assumption, given the forum it is in.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:10 PM   #12
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
The OP titled the thread "Missing feature in every reader", so I think his comments refer to ebook reading devices in general. Perhaps dottedmag could take this as a feature request for OI.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:12 AM   #13
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
The OP titled the thread "Missing feature in every reader", so I think his comments refer to ebook reading devices in general. Perhaps dottedmag could take this as a feature request for OI.
If anyone is serious about making a feature request they can go to the OpenInkpot WIKI and create an account. After account creation it will be possible to open a ticket with a feature request, and then you can track the status of your request. There are currently 214 open tickets!!
http://openinkpot.org/
Old 09-03-2009, 05:16 AM   #14
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
I really liked the look of progressbar in PDF Jellby provided. Could be a nice feature.

Please, please open a ticket!