Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-03-2015, 08:31 PM   #1
antistatic
antistatic began at the beginning.

Device: KPW
PW2 stuck updating

Hi everyone,

I got my PW2 stuck trying to update, it doesn't show as a USB storage in Mac and shows Update Error. If I press the power button for several seconds or connect it to the computer, it shows a gray screen for about a minute and then I get the same Update Error screen.

I have read several posts trying to find out a way to unbrick it before posting but I haven't found anything certain. I have just found a post about Kubrik but it says it doesn't work for the PW, although in the Updates it says that @kaznelson succesfully unbricked one, it doesn't specify PW1 or PW2.

Can you show me some information so I can start my unbricking journey?

Thank you very much for the invaluable work you have done.

Edit: I haven't tried to JB my Kindle, it happened while autoupdating.

Last edited by antistatic; 01-03-2015 at 08:34 PM.
antistatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:17 PM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Had you just loaded a new book to your Kindle just prior to the problem I've been given to understand that sometimes that's the problem.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2015, 09:42 PM   #3
antistatic

Maybe, I just don't remember.

The only thing I can think of is Calibre, I used amazon services for about a month and then decided to set Aeroplane Mode On and go offline with Calibre for converting and moving books to the device.

I read pdf most of the time so I was very comfortable using the Kindle disconnected from Amazon, then one day I turned AM Off and when I realized the Kindle was updating. The strange thing was that it took very long. After that it never woke up :'( , it rebooted a couple times but with no success.

I am willing to post images and document my process. I have opened it up already but I am waiting to have more information about how to proceed.

Thank you very much.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:50 AM   #4
rrrvxi
rrrvxi began at the beginning.

Device: KP2
Have you tried to press and hold the power button for more than 20 seconds? The device should reset.
rrrvxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 01:24 AM   #5
antistatic

Yes, and the same thing happens: gray screen for about a minute and then I get the same Update Error screen.

It doesn't matter how long do I press the button, about 6 seconds after I press it, it starts the cycle again: gray screen for about a minute ......... if I keep it pressed the whole time, it goes back to the Update Error screen.
Advert
Old 01-04-2015, 02:21 AM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You might want to plug it into your computer and open the drive to access your books. Then with them sorted according to date see what removing the most recent book does. It sounds like there is a book with an error in it that might be causing the trouble. I can't swear to it, but it can't hurt to try. There is the factory reset button but that would restore your Kindle to how it was before you put anything on it.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:44 AM   #7
rrrvxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
There is the factory reset button but that would restore your Kindle to how it was before you put anything on it.
Where is that? inside the KPW 2? I only see the power button in my device.

By the way, do you know how to jailbreak it with software 5.6.1.0.2? So far I read everywhere that it is possible to do it BUT it is necessary to disassemble and have soldering skills (jailbreak by serial port), not problem for me, but I can´t find any videos or tutorial indicating the step by step process.

Other option is to wait to see if this software version can get the jailbreak, I believe sooner or later it will, I suppose..., but if for some reason it will became impossible then I would like to know how to do it myself through the serial port alternative.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:43 AM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrvxi View Post
Where is that? inside the KPW 2? I only see the power button in my device.

By the way, do you know how to jailbreak it with software 5.6.1.0.2? So far I read everywhere that it is possible to do it BUT it is necessary to disassemble and have soldering skills (jailbreak by serial port), not problem for me, but I can´t find any videos or tutorial indicating the step by step process.

Other option is to wait to see if this software version can get the jailbreak, I believe sooner or later it will, I suppose..., but if for some reason it will became impossible then I would like to know how to do it myself through the serial port alternative.
Goto settings> and press Reset Device on the drop down menu. That's how to find it on the PW1 anyway and I wouldn't imagine they have changed it much in the PW2. It resets everything of course. So you might have to re-register the device afterward.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:58 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
Goto settings> and press Reset Device on the drop down menu. That's how to find it on the PW1 anyway and I wouldn't imagine they have changed it much in the PW2. It resets everything of course. So you might have to re-register the device afterward.
How do you do that when all you can see is a gray error screen?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 09:20 AM   #10
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Probably can't in that case, but if the menu is accessible for any length of time that might sort it out. It is likely (I think) that the problem is a file related one, and removing the book file might clear it. Of course there is also customer service at Amazon who might have more ideas on how to sort it.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:01 AM   #11
antistatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
How do you do that when all you can see is a gray error screen?
Indeed, I don't have any access (not even USB storage) to the device. That's the reason I am asking for Kubrik and the serial communication, so I can decide which way to go.

I have only tested in Mac, I'm going to try on Windows and Linux machines.

Note: I think the device downloaded a corrupt update file and then it got stuck updating, lost wireless connection so it has no possibility to download the correct one. Do you think I'm right?

Last edited by antistatic; 01-04-2015 at 10:04 AM.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:42 AM   #12
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by antistatic View Post
- - - -
Note: I think the device downloaded a corrupt update file and then it got stuck updating, lost wireless connection so it has no possibility to download the correct one.

Do you think I'm right?
No.
The packages have a crypto (non-reversible) hash and the hash is crypto signed.

It can not be corrupted (or changed) without the signature failing.

And the installer will not install a file which does not have a correct hash, correctly signed.

PS: Kubrick does not work on a PW2.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 11:04 AM   #13
antistatic

Ok, In that case and based on your experience, what do you think about the chances of bringing this Kindle back to life?

And, what do you think could have gone wrong with the update process?
Old 01-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #14
rrrvxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by antistatic View Post
Ok, In that case and based on your experience, what do you think about the chances of bringing this Kindle back to life?

And, what do you think could have gone wrong with the update process?
Everything seems very weird, maybe a you got a lemon when you purchased it.

Have you tried to completely remove the battery? and then connect and disconnect it to you PC? Only my thoughts or what should I do...

By the way, it would be nice that you can take video of your disassembly and reassembly and upload it to youtube or similar, I found that there are only two decent videos, and no one show how the front bezel finished again in place after it is removed, I am guessing that is probably necessary to put some glue or something to hold the bezel again?
Old 01-05-2015, 09:07 AM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Given that this was a (fairly new) vanilla device, and happened during an official update, I'd say the course of action is pretty clear: stop trying to wrap your head around it, and contact Kindle CS.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote