Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #61
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
BTW, there is a new version 1.2.6.2

It allows to set your own font sizes for the user interface, for the file list in open file dialog / file manager and for the list of recent books (in cr3.ini so far)

cr3.app.ui.default.font.size=18
cr3.app.ui.openfile.font.size=7
cr3.app.ui.recent.font.size=7

I like 7 on Aura HD, you might like other values.
After making changes to cr3.ini file it is needed to switch off the device completely, otherwise an old version of cr3.ini file is taken from the memory instead and then saved again. At least with Aura HD

It also allows to delete books from the list of recent books and includes the current book as the first one in the list of recent books - it will be useful when adding more functionality to the list.
If a book is deleted altogether it is also deleted from the recent list. So it is kept in sync.

Also the margin size increased to 100.
So it is now enough for portrait on Aura HD but still not for landscape.
For landscape I need 200-250.

There are also some changes in the settings - the font size for the header status bar.

Last edited by parkher; 09-26-2013 at 05:12 PM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 03:32 PM   #62
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Yes I tried yours and they look good on my AuraHD as well. The menu fonts could also use reducing.

I still have a problem advancing pages in the lists. The slider is not working, for me.
The one that I can see looks great though.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #63
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Yes I tried yours and they look good on my AuraHD as well. The menu fonts could also use reducing.

I still have a problem advancing pages in the lists. The slider is not working, for me.
The one that I can see looks great though.

Luck;
Ken
Yes, I tried today with large numbers of files in a folder and large numbers of folders. Not working for me either.
A page down / page up support is badly needed.
Either with < and > buttons at the bottom - there is lots of space for them next to Cancel / OK buttons. Or a swipe support, in both directions.
I would also like Home / End buttons and/or going in the loop when the end of the list is reached. Because it might be quite slow to advance through a long list.

Yes, the menu font could be a bit smaller, as in the KoboLauncher game list, for example.
I made it a bit larger because everything still fits on the screen but it is easier to touch Open and not to touch accidentally Recent Books instead because of the proximity to the top edge of the screen.

The list size 7 could be even smaller - 6 is still very easy to read.
The smaller the font - the longer names fit on the screen and more files fit on the screen too.
But it might get a bit more difficult to select with a finger the book you want. But even that can be done with 6 ( 3 books per 1 cm).
More difficult is to navigate a level up in a directory - the very first element of the list, I can get it with the tip of the finger, practically with the nail only because it is very close to the upper edge and is quite narrow even @ 7.

Last edited by parkher; 09-26-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:06 PM   #64
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually, the "select then OK" 2 step process works great with close selections because, if you are off on the first try it is easy to nudge over to the right selection. Once the right selection is indicated then you press the OK button. I once used the example on sliding your finger "dragging" the selection till you have it on the one you want. Then the OK button actually opens the file.

Luck;
Ken
Old 09-27-2013, 06:19 AM   #65
parkher
Evangelist

But the selected file is opened even without the OK button. Maybe just a pause is needed.
If you wait long enough - it opens. And it is not really long
Advert
Old 09-27-2013, 08:58 AM   #66
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
But the selected file is opened even without the OK button. Maybe just a pause is needed.
Hmm... on mine in the "Open" file listings I can run my finger up and down the list, dragging an underline until it is on the ebook I want. Nothing seems to happen until I press "OK" after I have a file/ebook selection underlined. If I just poke one then it gets underlined and opens the ebook, as you describe. If that is the wrong ebook then I bring up the menu again and select "Open" again, to return to the listing for another try.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 09-27-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:26 AM   #67
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 301+, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Onyx Boox A62, Kindle Touch
Hi!

1.2.6.3 version is released:

Improvements:

1. Recent books list: now all the fonts are black
2. Open file dialog: Use [|<], [<], [>], [>|] buttons to select page, use [..] button to go to the parent directory
3. cr3.ini: set the cr3.app.ui.openfile.vscrollbar=0 parameter to turn off the vertical scroll bar in the file open dialog
4. Very important issue fixed: now you can easily use native epub reading program after exitting from the Kobo Launcher.
sergeyvl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #68
sergeyvl12
ebook fan
sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sergeyvl12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 301+, Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Onyx Boox A62, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkher View Post
yes, it take a time to open a file... 1-2 seconds.
sergeyvl12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:50 PM   #69
nevelaev
nevelaev began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo
Hello, Sergey! Where I can download 1.2.6.3 version? I can't see them in this forum. Vizhu tolko pbchess 1.2.6 v shapke)) Kstati, I was installed 1.2.6. iz shapki po instruktsii na wiki - ne mogu naiti otkuda zapuskat' launcher i prochee. Kobo glo 2.8.1 firmware. Thanks)

Last edited by nevelaev; 09-27-2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Mistake
nevelaev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #70
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevelaev View Post
Hello, Sergey! Where I can download 1.2.6.3 version? I can't see them in this forum. Vizhu tolko pbchess 1.2.6 v shapke)) Kstati, I was installed 1.2.6. iz shapki po instruktsii na wiki - ne mogu naiti otkuda zapuskat' launcher i prochee. Kobo glo 2.8.1 firmware. Thanks)
Hi nevelaev! You can find the software here. If you click the link for the Kobo software, you will download the latest version.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #71
parkher
Evangelist

Ken Maltby,

Turns out, I have this:
cr3.app.ui.default.font.size=15
not =18 - I wrote these from memory, but the other values were correct, = 7.

1.2.6.3 impressions

The Open dialog / file manager (browser) - now it is really great.

Except that the first [..] element in the list should have been kept just to make it easier
to tap the second one - with the font size 7, now it is difficult to access the first book in the list. An alternative - to have a top margin. maybe defined in cr3.ini - if somebody is using a large font, clearly a margin is not needed.
But I like using that bottom [..] button - no need to get to the beginning of the list, easier to move rapidly several levels up. And of course, the first element is difficult to tap because my font is small.

The recent book list:

1. I would like to have the buttons like in the file browser. And to be able to disable the vertical scroll bar as in the file browser

2. I am using small font size, so the gaps between the lines of text are huge - instead of two lines there might fit four at least. So I would like to make the list more compact by reducing the vertical size of an element. It would be easier to read the list too.

3. I would like another button at the bottom - on a selected book in the list, go directly to its folder in the file browser (as it is done in android CR on T2).
It is very convenient when you want to open another book in the same series or of the same author or another version or format of the same book, or just a book that you know will be close to navigate to.

4. I would like to have an option to have file names in the recent book list instead of two-line elements with titles and authors.
I have lots of books that do not have correct metadata but their files are correctly named adhering to a strict standard. Besides, a compact one-line-per-element list would allow to fit many more books on the screen (I have many books in the list) and would be easier to read, especially compared to what we have now - huge gaps between those two lines makes me search with my eyes for the next element...

What I miss most now compared to android CR on T2 - support for dictionaries.

Last edited by parkher; 09-27-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 04:40 AM   #72
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
I like this version very much.

Here is my wish list for upcoming versions:

- dictionary support

- ability to search within books

- ability to switch to nightmode (in the cr3.ini crengine.display.inverse can be set to 1 for inverting black/white)

- changing refresh rate of the screen from within CoolReader. You can change the update interval, but on my Aura HD it has no effect on the refresh rate

- suspend mode

- the ability to switch the light on and off within CoolReader!

But even without these functionalities, CR is really great. Can't thank Sergey enough for his work.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 12:49 PM   #73
parkher
Evangelist

My wish list is:

1. Dictionary support
2. Improvements I mentioned above to the file browser and the recent book list.
3. Sleep mode

I do not search in fiction books and I do not use light (I use the clip-on light Ozeri Kandle Flex on Aura HD instead, if I need light, because with a clip-on light the screen still looks like a page of a printed book and not like an LCD screen), so I don't care about these features.

But I grew accustomed to using encyclopedic dictionaries on T2. Nothing wrong with getting educated while reading
Also, on T2 I am using all the time the direct shortcut from the recent book list to the folder of a chosen book - I miss it on Aura.
Also, I never exit CR, so switching to the sleep mode is sort of important too.

Last edited by parkher; 09-28-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-28-2013, 12:54 PM   #74
Mike76
Connoisseur
Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.Mike76 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013, Kobo Mini, iPad Mini
The latest version (1.2.6.3) is really very good, with a working suspend function it would be the everyday reader for me. (I've updated the hungarian translation: Hungarian.ts, Hungarian.qm).
Just a note: Page turning speed is a little bit slow on my Kobo Mini - Koreader (using crengine too) is noticeable faster in this regard. However, it's not a dealbreaker, and I beleive optimalisation is the hardest part of development.
Mike76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:16 PM   #75
parkher
Evangelist

For me CR is already the main and only reader on Aura HD.
I hated those shelves and the slowness of book scanning so much.
And I still was facing a daunting task of importing all my books into Calibre, even though Calibre was already choking on a small portion of them.
I mostly miss dictionaries I have accessible from CR on T2.
And there are some improvements I badly want in the recent book list (but they are not critical).

Last edited by parkher; 09-28-2013 at 01:26 PM.