Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #1
ardnaid
ardnaid began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Can I softroot this?

I recently bought a used nook Classic. I am interested in softrooting it. I read through the guide on nookDevs, but when I tried to download the files needed to root it, I got 404s. Is there another guide that has them? Or does this mean they are no longer supported and I shouldn't try?

My serial number starts with 1002 and I'm on software version 1.7.0. I'm okay with restoring it to factory settings to get to a prior version, I'm not positive but I think it was 1.5 when I got it, but it was used so I'm not sure if that's how it came or not.

Thanks for any help!
ardnaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I rooted a 1003*** using this method (any hardware): http://nookdevs.com/Rooting_B%26N_re...n_any_hardware

Don't use his batch file, ratc.bin (see this comment on the discussion page).

It takes a little patience and luck, but it does work. I would set aside a good two hours to get it done.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
lifefanatic
lifefanatic began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic
I just did this, with 1.7. It worked fine. I DID use the ratc.bin - but I then had to re-do the browser portion (about 16 times) before i could connect again. Took me about 10 tries to connect the first time. Add the site as a favorite to make it easier

It's worked like a charm, and I've connected, installed and rebooted several times since without any issues.

When you reconnect the second time, push the file quickly before it disconnects you - I used the bat file as recommended, with the following commands

adb connect 192.168.1.83
adb push init.rc /

If you need any help feel free to pm me, but the instructions were pretty simple.
lifefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:07 PM   #4
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I had no luck w/ the batch file and found that it didn't really save any time/effort vs. just timing my copy/paste with each connection attempt.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:02 AM   #5
lifefanatic
lifefanatic began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Classic
Fair enough- found I had about 5 seconds to copy/paste after it connected. If you have the command ready and you can paste it quicly, you don't need the bat file.

however, I was watching tv while trying the browser trick, and missed an opportunity to do that...so the bat file proved helpful!
lifefanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert