Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 08-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #46
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
For hard SF, I really liked Stephen Baxter's short story collections (one I recall was Vacuum Diagrams). The couple of novels of his I've read I wasn't in love with (Manifold Time and Manifold Space) because the characters seemed flat to me, but his short stories moved along at a brisk enough pace that I didn't notice.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:33 AM   #47
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
For hard SF, I really liked Stephen Baxter's short story collections (one I recall was Vacuum Diagrams). The couple of novels of his I've read I wasn't in love with (Manifold Time and Manifold Space) because the characters seemed flat to me, but his short stories moved along at a brisk enough pace that I didn't notice.
Yeah, I find a lot of his stuff cold. IMO his best work is The Time Ships and Time's Eye written with Arthur C Clarke.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 12:49 PM   #48
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"The Time Ships" is excellent - an authorised sequel to H.G. Wells's "The Time Machine". You're right that characterisation isn't Baxter's strength, but even so I think he writes excellent books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 04:17 PM   #49
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
This calls for:

(warning - one curse on the screen - audio is clean)
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 07:18 PM   #50
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Where was there a curse on the screen??
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:37 AM   #51
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
I didn't see it either.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:40 AM   #52
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
If you have "Annotations On" it comes up at about the 1:05 mark. If you have that setting Off it doesn't come up.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:39 AM   #53
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
If you have "Annotations On" it comes up at about the 1:05 mark. If you have that setting Off it doesn't come up.
Yeah, what he said.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:49 AM   #54
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OIC.

Hey, one more thought on the suck/blow issue.
If I lived INSIDE a tire, and some one opened the valve, I would say my air was being sucked out. If one of my fellow tire dwellers increased the pressure inside until it ruptured the valve, I'd say it was blown out.

Not sure that this changes anything but it does make me want to write an sf story about a race of beings living in our tires.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #55
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
OIC.
Not sure that this changes anything but it does make me want to write an sf story about a race of beings living in our tires.
Go for it. Could become a series the readers wouldn't get tired of. Could have inter-rubber fights between the tyrians and the tirans.

'Course both factions are all radialians who have only dim racial memories of their primitive biasorply ancestors, though some of the scientists insist there's a "missing link" in the beltedbiasors, especially the steel ones.

I've heard that a vulgar insult common among radalians is to call someone who insists on doing things the old way is to call the individual "an old biasor".
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 04:28 PM   #56
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybody View Post
Go for it. Could become a series the readers wouldn't get tired of. Could have inter-rubber fights between the tyrians and the tirans.

'Course both factions are all radialians who have only dim racial memories of their primitive biasorply ancestors, though some of the scientists insist there's a "missing link" in the beltedbiasors, especially the steel ones.

I've heard that a vulgar insult common among radalians is to call someone who insists on doing things the old way is to call the individual "an old biasor".
Hehe....looks like it's virtually writing itself already.
Keep going, you're on a...ahem....roll. :-)
Old 08-18-2014, 05:06 PM   #57
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Hehe....looks like it's virtually writing itself already.
Keep going, you're on a...ahem....roll. :-)
And hopefully you won't get 'tired'of the story before finding a good ending. I wonder how they will explain a spacial disruption/warping of the universe (i.e. a flat tire).
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:14 PM   #58
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Think carefully, guys. I once had a field mouse take refuge in one of my hub caps (warmed by the brakes on a cold winter day). I didn't find him until after my next road trip, which involved some moderately high speed driving on a state highway.

Centripetal force is a killer!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:41 PM   #59
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
Think carefully, guys. I once had a field mouse take refuge in one of my hub caps (warmed by the brakes on a cold winter day). I didn't find him until after my next road trip, which involved some moderately high speed driving on a state highway.

Centripetal force is a killer!
But if the 'beings' were tiny enough wouldn't they then possibly be able to deal with the results of the centripetal forces without injury? I mean their surface area would have to be very minute for a whole race of beings to live inside a tire and they'd have to have evolved there in the 1st place so that they were able to take it. I could see them working up a whole mythology to explain why such forces struck at times, and of course their sense of time could be a lot different from ours. Robert L. Forward wrote two books "Dragon's Egg" and "Starquake" about alien beings who live on the surface of a neutron star. So I could see very tiny beings evolving within a tire being able to exist even with such forces coming now and then. Perhaps from their pov there is a period of upset every few 1000 yrs or so which is on average every 8-10 hrs our time as the driver of the car goes to and from work, and now and then these periods come early or late depending on if the driver goes into work early or stays late.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:11 AM   #60
ApK

I'm also trying to figure out a way to integrate a story line where the tire race could wipe the midi-chlorians out of existence, like totally, from the the entirety of the multiverse space-time continuum, so they will never have existed and never be spoken of again.
And then at the end, I could have the car they are in run over Jar Jar Binks.

I know this might seem like topic drift, but it's not. Those Star Wars elements most definitely suck and blow.