Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
pwright2
Connoisseur
pwright2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Persistent Map Navigation Program

I realize I can use Google maps for creating a trip while in wifi but is there anything that would leave me with maps I could refer to while traveling? Not so much a full Microsoft Streets and Trips but perhaps something that would let me plan the trip online and then download stripmaps for the trip that had enough detail to help if I got lost.

------Paul-----

Last edited by pwright2; 12-27-2012 at 06:25 PM. Reason: add tags
pwright2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
jimplasticguy
jimplasticguy began at the beginning.

Device: None
Hi Paul,

In the past, you were able to email turn by turn directions in google maps, but I can only find a link there now which won't help you since you do not have a lot of wi-fi options heading down the road with your Kindle Fire. If it were me, and I wanted to have the directions available on my Kindle device, I would print to pdf and save that on the device. You need to do that from a computer. There are several nice free programs that allow you to print to a pdf file. I use Acrobat pro now, so I cannot comment on the latest best free option.
Steps to do this:
  • Pull up your directions in google maps.
  • Hit the picture of the printer above the directions. A new page will open suitable for printing.
  • Chose any options that you want (I like to have a large map on my printouts)
  • Hit the print button at the top right of the page and chose your pdf printer of choice.
  • Copy the file onto your Kindle Fire. I have not tested it, as I am a gps guy.
I hope that helps.
Jim
jimplasticguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
pwright2
Connoisseur

Yeah, I thought about the PDF route. And I saw someone mention that Firefox could save pages as pdf, though I cannot get Firefox to run on my fire at the moment. But that doesn't allow zooming in for details and such. Oh, well. One can always hope for next year's killer app.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:29 PM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Mapquest & Yes there is an App on Amazon that works great. Bring up the map & direction when you have WiFi then Save & the HD brings it up as you need it to. I used mine several time when going after Freecycle things!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Nothing beats a Garmin for maps. Without it I wouldn't be able to drive anywhere.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
pwright2
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Mapquest & Yes there is an App on Amazon that works great. Bring up the map & direction when you have WiFi then Save & the HD brings it up as you need it to. I used mine several time when going after Freecycle things!
Are you saying the Mapquest App does this or is it a different App? The Mapquest description did not mention it (I don't think).

-----Paul-----

Tags
fire, maps, navigation, travel