Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 09-14-2009, 07:43 AM   #1
timt1961
Just this guy, you know
timt1961 began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin v3
Small font size with epub in latest software.

Ok, I'm getting old, and my eyesight is not what it was.. but still

Does anyone else feel that the 'small' fontsize in epub is too small, and the next step up is too large to read comfortably ?

I just upgraded my Hanlin to the latest firmware (needed it because a book I wanted was only available in DRM -epub... How I'm going to deal with my collection of DRM-ed Mobipockets is anyones guess ). I now need new reading glasses to read my new purchase. Older epubs which were previously fine now also are too small to read. Switching up a zoom factor is not really a help, since that font is too large for my purposes.

MobiPocket files are fine, I can read them without problems, even at the smallest font size.

Is there anyway to fix this ? Can I just hack into the epub format and replace the stylesheet to produce a larger font (Or is there perhaps a global system-wide stylesheet that I can tweak ?)

If so, does anyone have some css code to set the default font size for the whole document.. My css is a little rusty ;-)

Thanks,
TimT.
timt1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:56 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
There is/was a discussion of this in the Astak forum you might check there too. But yeah, my 56 year old eyes are not what they used to be. But that's why we have adjustable font sizes.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I'm not sure what you installed as "The Latest Release". Hanlin seems to be turning them out on almost a daily basis. You might try installing the latest Astak release. I believe it's at:

www.theezreader.com

However, I believe they are scheduled to update this release today (Monday, 9/14). So if you can wait a day, you might want to wait until tomorrow.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:42 PM   #4
timt1961
Just this guy, you know
timt1961 began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin v3
Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
I'm not sure what you installed as "The Latest Release". Hanlin seems to be turning them out on almost a daily basis. You might try installing the latest Astak release. I believe it's at:

www.theezreader.com
Latest release for me is the last one available on the jinke site, V2.10 2009-08-03.

I'm not too sure about installing the Aztak software though.. As I understand it, this is a somewhat different product.

Quote:
However, I believe they are scheduled to update this release today (Monday, 9/14). So if you can wait a day, you might want to wait until tomorrow.
I can wait The only problem is the fontsize, where a 150% option would be nice. I'm really looking for a way to put the control of the default fontsize in the epub file.. this might help me on other devices too.
timt1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by timt1961 View Post
I'm not too sure about installing the Aztak software though.. As I understand it, this is a somewhat different product.
The Astak EZ Reader Basic is a Hanlin V3, and the Pocket Pro is a Hanlin V5. The Astak firmware comes more or less directly from Jinke, but Astak is releasing firmware updates frequently because the Pocket Pro is brand new. These firmwares are largely untested (beta quality), but the Astak V3 firmware from last week seems better than the BeBook version released a day or two earlier. I have been using it on my V3 and V5 with no significant problems so far.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2009, 03:13 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I wonder what exactly are the differences between the various incarnations of the V5... You have EI, Astak, Jinke, all making "their own" firmware...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:51 AM   #7
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
I wonder what exactly are the differences between the various incarnations of the V5... You have EI, Astak, Jinke, all making "their own" firmware...
Yes, I wonder about that too, in particular whether a different version has better (read Larger) display of the menus.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 06:55 AM   #8
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
There aren't all that much difference really.

Jinke usually do the major overhauls of the firmware. Then the different companies that use the jinke-fw as a base add, or remove things they feel they should have or not have instead.

Most often it does however seem like all they do is change the splashscreens

As far as I can tell the latest jinke and BeBook firmwares are more or less identical.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote