Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
Tessie6
Connoisseur
Tessie6 doesn't litterTessie6 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS505
batteries

I have a 505 and I notice that I have to charge the battery every couple of days. I know somewhere on here there are instructions on changing to a new battery.

Can someone direct me to that posting. Or tell me in the instruction manual where I can find that information.

Is it a standard battery that I can buy at Walgreens or someplace like that? Where do I find that battery - like do I have to remove the back cover?

Does it take a lot of technical skill (because if so I'm out of luck)..

Edith
Tessie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:21 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Sony Reader 505 Battery

Read through the thread above and you'll find the battery part numbers, a few places to buy the battery, and a video showing how to take apart the 505.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2011, 03:32 PM   #3
Tessie6
Connoisseur
Tessie6 doesn't litterTessie6 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS505
Than ks I'll go through it.
Tessie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I'd say it took some mechanical skill. The parts are awfully fiddly to both pull apart without damage and to reassemble, at least they were to me. You might ask if someone near you has done it before and is willing to help you.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
Belfaborac
Wizard
Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belfaborac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-950
Just changed the battery in mine today. Pulling it apart was simple after watching the video above, while sticking it back together was a bit harder. Somewhat fiddly in between, but in my opinion nothing to be scared of unless you have very large hands and/or are particularly shaky.
Belfaborac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
tao
Book Lover
tao began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Kindle 3
Condition PRS-505 battery?

While using a laptop computer, it is said it is good to condition the battery from time to time, i.e. fully charge it, and fully drain it to let the electronics know the real capacity of the battery.

My question is, does the PRS-505 battery need such conditioning?
tao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
The answer from battery manufacturers is no... if you're going to store a device for a long period without using it, they recommend storing at half charge and switched off but in normal usage the battery life is actually shortened by a full discharge... there's another thread on here about batteries and it includes detailed information from lithium battery manufacturers, sorry can't remember which one but I'm sure you can find with a search or someone else will put up a pointer...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:19 AM   #8
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

<removed duplicate>

Last edited by jakeluck; 01-15-2011 at 03:52 PM.
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:21 AM   #9
jakeluck
Groupie
jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jakeluck could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

I got a replacement battery from newpower99.
http://www.newpower99.com/SearchResu...x=0&Search.y=0

The process looks easy on the video but required much delicate touch and patience. It took me about 40 minutes to complete the operation. Despite my carefulness, half of the buttons stopped working after the reassembly ( https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115275 ). Since then, I have disassemble/reassembled and tweaked various parts at least half a dozen times. No dice. There appears to be a number of people who had the similar problem after the battery replacement(search forum) Conspiracy suggests some kind of booby trap, which is not unusual for standard Sony practice. Otherwise, it could be just poor mechanical design. I would strongly caution that you should have the clear mental preparation before you attempt this task.
jakeluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:38 AM   #10
buggritt
buggritt began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by tao View Post
While using a laptop computer, it is said it is good to condition the battery from time to time, i.e. fully charge it, and fully drain it to let the electronics know the real capacity of the battery.

My question is, does the PRS-505 battery need such conditioning?
This is a myth. Modern batteries, made in the last 10 years, have no memory. When using a laptop, the correct advice is to keep it plugged in whenever possible.
buggritt is offline   Reply With Quote