Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-21-2010, 08:49 AM   #1
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2 (previously 505 and 650)
Patricia Cornwell, Kathy Reichs then . . . ?

I'm not a big fan of crime fiction, but I finally got round to reading Patricia Cornwell's Scarpetta series and loved it (as far as the change to third person narrative, at least). I'm now demolishing Kathy Reichs' Temperance Brennan (Bones) series with similar relish.

I think it's the forensics / procedural combination that clicks for me - probably helped by a first person narrative style and (possibly) a female lead character.

I'd appreciate suggestions as to where I go next.

mediax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:04 PM   #2
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Maybe Patterson's "Women's Murder Club" series?
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 12:12 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I highly recommend the Jane Rizzoli and Maura Isles series by Tess Gerritsen.

1. The Surgeon (2001)
2. The Apprentice (2002)
3. The Sinner (2003)
4. Body Double (2004)
5. Vanish (2005)
6. The Mephisto Club (2006)
7. Keeping the Dead (2008)
8. Ice Cold (2010)

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/g/tess-gerritsen/
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Jan Burke's Irene Kelly series and J.D. Robb's In Death series.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Jan Burke's Irene Kelly series and J.D. Robb's In Death series.
I've not read any of Jan Burke's books so I cannot comment.

I have read some of J.D Robb's In Death series and I second that series.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #6
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Karin Slaughter
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I haven't read them, but I have wondered about the Jefferson Bass "Body Farm" series (first book Carved in Stone). I too had enjoyed the procedural aspects of the Cornwell and Reichs books.

(I stopped reading Cornwell after Blow Fly and Reichs when she started writing books with religious themes along the lines of Dan Brown's books).
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:12 AM   #8
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I haven't read them, but I have wondered about the Jefferson Bass "Body Farm" series (first book Carved in Stone). I too had enjoyed the procedural aspects of the Cornwell and Reichs books.

(I stopped reading Cornwell after Blow Fly and Reichs when she started writing books with religious themes along the lines of Dan Brown's books).
I've just finished Carved in Bone - NOT 'Stone' ... It was very good, and I would have loved to go straight onto the next one Flesh and Bone (I think it's called), but no money left...
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:20 AM   #9
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I've just finished Carved in Bone - NOT 'Stone' ...
oops - thanks for the correction!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
It was very good, and I would have loved to go straight onto the next one Flesh and Bone (I think it's called), but no money left...
Would you consider it comparable to Cornwell and/or Reichs? Again, while I don't think they'd overlap in terms of the character story arcs, but the basic premise that they stress the forensics...
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:05 AM   #10
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanghaichica View Post
Karin Slaughter
Yes I would agree with Karin Slaughter.
I would also add Allison Brennan.

Mag.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:12 AM   #11
mediax
Readaholic
mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mediax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for all your suggestions - they're much appreciated.

My to-read pile has just got considerably taller () but at least my wife doesn't complain about the three foot stack of books next to the bed any more!
Old 10-22-2010, 02:16 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Some good series mentioned so far. You might like Linda Fairstein's Alex Cooper series, maybe Jeff Deaver's Rhyme/Sachs series.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 10-22-2010 at 02:19 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:26 PM   #13
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I've heard of Kathy Reichs but didn't know she was an author. She was in a video about the real Sherlock Holmes that I found on the net some time back. I'll have to keep an eye out for some of her books. Any suggestions on which of her books are good reads?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:17 AM   #14
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Would you consider it comparable to Cornwell and/or Reichs? Again, while I don't think they'd overlap in terms of the character story arcs, but the basic premise that they stress the forensics...
I just finished Flesh and Bone the second book in the Body Farm series last week and it does stress the forensics more. Some scenes are quite gruesome, but true to the real science.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:12 AM   #15
mediax
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I've heard of Kathy Reichs but didn't know she was an author. . . . I'll have to keep an eye out for some of her books. Any suggestions on which of her books are good reads?
The Temperance Brennan series starts with Deja Dead. I'm still at a fairly early point in the series, but the books do flow from one to the next, rather than being a set of totally stand-alone stories. My personal inclination is always to start at the beginning (and keep going until I stop )