Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-25-2010, 08:25 AM   #1
Iganius
Iganius began at the beginning.

Device: none
Smile Calibre configuration help!

I need a little help.
Is there a way to configure Calibre to index and not move books from the folder in which they are. I have one folder with several hundreds of books but I need to organize them. I like the Calibre but it is a problem when program duplicates books, creates several subfolders and renames them the wrong way. Basically, I would like it to rename books and index them in the folder where they are, and nothing else. Can someone help me with that? And is there a way to configure renaming when adding books into the program? I know that there is that option for “Save to Disk” button, but it there one for adding books to the program?

Iganius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you want to use Calibre, then you cannot stop it making copies of your books in its own internal library folders. Also you have no control over the names used internally.

There are a number of threads that discuss the reason for this at great length.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
Iganius
Iganius began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thank you for the reply! I will have to give up Calibre then. There is no point in having 10000+ duplicates. I`ll do the renaming manually.
Iganius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:21 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I went the other way!

I added all my books to the Calibre library which allowed me to vastly improve the catgorisation of my books and eliminate a large number of duplicates as the tagging system is much more powerful thatn the folder based heirarchy I used to use. I then deleted the originals. Having put some effort into getting metadata into a good state I can now search and find material more easily.

I can then use Calibre's facilities to get books out of the Calibre library when needed using virtually any naming convention I want. The books are also already in Calibre if I need a book in another format - it takes just a few clicks to get that new format.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iganius View Post
Thank you for the reply! I will have to give up Calibre then. There is no point in having 10000+ duplicates. I`ll do the renaming manually.
Most people who use Calibre put the originals away as a backup and keep only the Calibre copy.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Since nobody else has linked it yet (usually someone does by this time!) here's my big long post on the subject:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85232
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote