Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-15-2010, 06:21 PM   #1
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
An instance where PDF works

I'm on record (yeah, as if anybody cares) with the opinion that PDF is pretty useless for a 6" screen. BUT...if the PDF is the manual to your new camera, and it's meant for a little 4" x 6" booklet, there's not much reduction at all. It's much handier than carrying around a 143-page printed manual.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
Thrasher
Groupie
Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Thrasher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Wifi
True, or if you are converting a powerpoint presentation into PDF, that usually works pretty good too.
Thrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2010, 06:40 PM   #3
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
>> ... the manual to your new camera ...

Or the manual to your amateur radio ... I have several owners manuals for various model radios - printout is about "half" the size of an 8.5 x 11" page, landscape. The Kobo is VERY handy for me for those documents! (Now, then, if I could only change the TITLE of some .pdf docs, I'd be pleased).
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
>printout is about "half" the size of an 8.5 x 11" page, landscape. The Kobo is VERY handy for me for those documents! (Now, then, if I could only change the TITLE of some .pdf docs, I'd be pleased).
If they're not locked, you can use a program like BeCyPDFMetaEditor to change the title. (Or Acrobat Pro. But that's expensive, and the meta editor is free.)

If they are locked, there's software that will unlock them, but it's not free (although $10-15 isn't too bad for a useful program) and then they can be run through a metadata editor.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:22 PM   #5
Marcels
Marcels began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Comics work well in PDF Also if you change the display to landscape you get larger text. Calibre will let you convert a PDF to a ePub which works well too.
Marcels is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2010, 01:24 AM   #6
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I'm on record (yeah, as if anybody cares) with the opinion that PDF is pretty useless for a 6" screen. BUT...if the PDF is the manual to your new camera, and it's meant for a little 4" x 6" booklet, there's not much reduction at all. It's much handier than carrying around a 143-page printed manual.
Going with that idea further, imagine pdf file, all text, no
pictures. What would be a method, for any operating
system, to process the file and have one exactly as your?
I assume adobe would be mentioned. Probably more.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:28 AM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Any PDF that's formatted to the size of the screen (or smaller I guess) works well on a 5/6" device. You can actually have more formatting control than any other format if it's desired. It's just that most PDF's aren't formatted to those small sizes.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:34 AM   #8
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Any PDF that's formatted to the size of the screen (or smaller I guess) works well on a 5/6" device. You can actually have more formatting control than any other format if it's desired. It's just that most PDF's aren't formatted to those small sizes.
Yep. I was looking after changing the screen size.
The one intended for big, big screen (spite the format
is for printing) to smaller, just for kobo.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
Vardd
Vardd began at the beginning.

As I've mentioned in already a couple of other forum threads, Kobo + pdf = works great for me. Just have to get it ready, but it does work pretty good, even on a 6" screen.
Vardd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:06 PM   #10
pleochroic
pleochroic began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, OLPC XO
i read most of my fiction in pdf format. it works just fine, IF it is formatted for that size screen (fiction usually seems to be). if not, then i used to reformat it (which can be a pain), but now i just convert to epub instead because it's more robust.

i don't know that i'd use my camera manual on my kobo in pdf format. it takes too long to get to the right page.
pleochroic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:05 PM   #11
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I retitled it in Calibre.

Agree with your comment! A table of contents would be nice.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote