Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 01-04-2014, 07:57 PM   #31
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by najgori View Post
AdvanceCOMP ZIP Compression Utility supports recompression with zopfli algorithm with any number of iterations. I am not an expert to say how well it works. However, epubs are smaller after recompression.
An epubs 1st entry has to be a uncompressed stored mimetype file. Hence manual creation is a 2-step process:
1: create a zip with the mimetype file stored uncompressed
2: add the rest of the epub files to it.

As neither Advzip nor the Zopfli executable is capable of adding files to an existing zipfile both cannot be used for epub building.

(which is the reason I posted what I posted )

YES We could need a zopfli compressor for epubs; the size difference is big enough to matter.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:21 AM   #32
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I don't think a zip library with zopfli support will become available to .Net very soon. The speed impact will not really warm up developers for it.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2014, 02:58 AM   #33
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes I actually hope someone at least makes a simple console version in C by replacing the existing packing routine with zopf. I think it's obvious that such a tool would be meant to optimise-packing a final version of a book.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:39 AM   #34
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: many
Code:
advzip -z -4 -i 1000 Melville.epub
     4614268     4404517  95% Melville.epub
     4614268     4404517  95%
"Melville" is Melville - Works v.2.0.epub from this forum.
advzip is part of advancecomp 1.18.

edit: it's a very slow process on my old e8500 cpu

Last edited by najgori; 01-06-2014 at 06:42 AM. Reason: more data
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 07:35 AM   #35
Freeshadow
temp. out of service

<- (me) is a moron

najgori:
I have to apologise as it seems.
I overlooked that -4 option doesn't reshrink stored files
have redone a test and mimetype indeed remains STORED after recompression via -z parameter Hence as a matter of fac we CAN use advzip v. 1.17+ as an epub recompressor

a bucketload of karma comes along
Advert
Old 01-08-2014, 12:14 PM   #36
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: many
@freeshadow
it was just a my lucky guess...

anyway, advancecomp is open source, so for someone with knowledge of c, perhaps it would not be so hard to add -epub switch with optimal parameters for epub recompression.
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 03:14 PM   #37
Amba
Amba began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Hi. I just downloaded ePubPack onto my Windows 8 computer because I thought it would help me create my ePub files.

It downloaded just fine and opens fine, too, but for some reason it won't select my mimetype file even when I specifically click on it. It's weird because I'm pretty sure I made the mimetype file correctly, so I'm not sure why it doesn't want to work.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. And if anyone needs more information, feel free to ask.
Amba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 04:27 PM   #38
ethan_hines
ethan_hines began at the beginning.

Device: ibooks
Does anyone know if compressing the fonts or the images will affect the reading of the EPUB?
ethan_hines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 04:49 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan_hines View Post
Does anyone know if compressing the fonts or the images will affect the reading of the EPUB?
It will not effect the reading of the ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote