Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-17-2009, 11:24 AM   #16
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalvaG View Post
I've been luckier than rfog and my shipment passed through clearance processing without charges.
So how much you spend totally? And you use myUS too?
yingwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:29 AM   #17
rfog
Guru
rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rfog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots of eInk devices and iOS stuff
Quote:
I've been luckier than rfog and my shipment passed through clearance processing without charges.
I new. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.

You are a very lucky man.
rfog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2009, 12:03 PM   #18
SalvaG
Enthusiast
SalvaG is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
MyUS:
- 20+7$ : 1 month premium account (custom declared value [98$] + instructions [remove amazon bill]).
- 54.31$ : shipping.

DX + standard cover (+ 14$ two shipping days):
- $553.96

Total = 457.3 €
SalvaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:45 PM   #19
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
MyUS:
- 20+7$ : 1 month premium account (custom declared value [98$] + instructions [remove amazon bill]).
- 54.31$ : shipping.

DX + standard cover (+ 14$ two shipping days):
- $553.96

Total = 457.3 €
It seems there is no rule for the cost
Old 06-18-2009, 02:25 AM   #20
SalvaG
Enthusiast

The base cost is the same (~455 €). The difference is customs clearance charges.
Advert
Old 06-18-2009, 05:09 AM   #21
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
(custom declared value [98$] + instructions [remove amazon bill]).
Is that part of the "Merchandise/parcel consolidation" feature? It's not all that clear what the effective differences between the Standard & Premium membership options are.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:37 AM   #22
SalvaG
Enthusiast

I think that belongs to "Flexible shipping options" and
"Merchandise consolidation" is <ship several items at the same time/package>. You can store several orders that may arrive at some point and then request for being shipped together (very nice feature).

(Note that you have to manually cancel your membership or you'll be charged next month.)

Last edited by SalvaG; 06-18-2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 06:44 AM   #23
Abelturd
Little Fuzzy Soldier
Abelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toysAbelturd shares his or her toys

Device: cybook gen3, htc hero, ipaq 214
Hello rfog,
I congratulate you on your new Kindle DX. I'm curious, what are the options when the battery goes wrong or simply wears out? I've read it's not user replacable, is it? You have to send it back to Amazon to replace it, right? Or are there other options? I'm from outside USA, that's why I'm asking.
Abelturd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:39 AM   #24
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Yes, he'd have to send it back to Amazon, unless he wants to buy a third-party battery and try to do a disassembly himself. However, the battery is not expected to fail for years and years so it's not something to be concerned about.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #25
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelturd View Post
I'm curious, what are the options when the battery goes wrong or simply wears out? I've read it's not user replacable, is it? You have to send it back to Amazon to replace it, right? Or are there other options? I'm from outside USA, that's why I'm asking.
I'm also worried about that, as I too am outside the US, and it would be a hassle to have it return it. But I'm betting that, by the time it happens, the Kindle will be on sale in Europe, and I'll be ready to purchase a newer, more recent model.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:38 AM   #26
yingwu
Addict

Quote:
by the time it happens, the Kindle will be on sale in Europe, and I'll be ready to purchase a newer, more recent model.
I see the Amazon will release its kindle 3 at the end of this year. If it was true, you don't need to wait long
Old 06-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #27
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by yingwu View Post
I see the Amazon will release its kindle 3 at the end of this year. If it was true, you don't need to wait long
There's no Kindle 3 in the works.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:18 PM   #28
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
There's no Kindle 3 in the works.
There are various rumours about it though, so there has to be K3 in the development at least.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yingwu View Post
I guess the Douane service is from government. For your opinion, I mean now, which one you prefer, considering everything in all??

Or do you suggest people who is in Europe buy a DX given its quality, function and final price?
Given the DX's function, I suggest waiting to see who else comes out with a larger screen reader and what functionality there is. The PDF support for the DX is sadly lacking. And there is no ePub support. So (IMHO) it's worth waiting to see who does what later this year.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:27 AM   #30
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by rfog View Post
Finally I've got mine...

Then, total cost has been:

671.27€

Holy crap, that is a lot of money to plop down. I am guessing you are a big reader!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote