Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #31
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
It stated quite clearly in the PDF that it had a 5,000 page-cycle battery-charge life.
Ah, yes, I missed it because I skipped the paragraph and went straight to the list of specs.

I had wondered where DaleDe got the number, now I know.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:19 PM   #32
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Fair enough; I concede the point - though Bookeen doesn't list you as a US retailer.

So I see... We *were* listed. Clearly they've made an error during their update of the Resellers page. Thanks for pointing that out.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2008, 04:05 PM   #33
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I was under the impression that the Metronome display controller was E-Ink's only option at this resolution, and it supports 8-bits per pixel. The specs definately say 4 grayscales though.
Where did you get that idea? There are 4 grayscale, 8 grayscale devices based on the version of this controller and iLiad uses their own controller and makes a 16 grayscale device.

edit: by the way, the site you reference shows that they can support up to 16 levels of grayscale but make several options available.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #34
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Where did you get that idea? There are 4 grayscale, 8 grayscale devices based on the version of this controller and iLiad uses their own controller and makes a 16 grayscale device.

edit: by the way, the site you reference shows that they can support up to 16 levels of grayscale but make several options available.
I said 8-bits when I meant 8 grey levels, thanks for catching that.

So far as I know, the older E-Ink Apollo controller only supports 800x600 and 4 grey levels (2 bits). So Metronome is the only E-Ink provided controller that supports 1200 x 825 resolution. The Metronome specs do say 8-bits per pixel (and 4-bit waveforms, presumably 16 grey levels) - but E-Ink's Prototype Kits have 8 gray levels.

Obviously, it is possible to run a 8-way (or 16-way) greyscale capable controller with a 4-way greyscale but, if the EB-300 is using Metronome, why would a high end device use fewer grey levels than possible? Particularly since the iLiad has 16 grey levels.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:09 PM   #35
clewley
clewley began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3
Cool Battery!

I bet the battery life is just a few hours.
clewley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2008, 08:23 PM   #36
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clewley View Post
I bet the battery life is just a few hours.
How many is a few? My bet is greater than 20.

Dale
Old 03-11-2008, 11:21 PM   #37
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I figure 20 would be about the right range for a "professional" device.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:42 AM   #38
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Then I hope they don't call it a professional device and give us 5.000 page turns Which would amount to roughly 2 weeks....a perfect reader
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:42 AM   #39
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The thing that gets me is...

That there's no real way to contact them. All of their email address bounce back as undeliverable - even if one uses their web-based form. Until they manage to fix that problem, what's the point in getting excited?

Derek
Old 03-12-2008, 10:47 AM   #40
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
The one I sent through Gmail doesn't appear to have bounced.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:14 AM   #41
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Then I hope they don't call it a professional device and give us 5.000 page turns Which would amount to roughly 2 weeks....a perfect reader
I order to get 2 weeks the processor and other hardware must not use any additional power and the touch screen must not use any additional power except when the pages are being turned. Without knowing more it is hard to predict the real battery life time for the page turn time. I would hope you are right but the processor speed is faster than devices I have seen that last a couple of weeks so only time will tell what will really be obtained.

I hope people won't get upset if they don't get 2 weeks or more but it is about managing expectations.

Dale
Old 03-12-2008, 11:16 AM   #42
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The one I sent through Gmail doesn't appear to have bounced.
Gmail is a terrible email account that often gets trashed in a spam filter these days. It doesn't bounce, it just gets thrown away. Unfortunately all free emails can easily have this problem due to spammers using them extensively.

Dale
Old 03-12-2008, 12:21 PM   #43
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I order to get 2 weeks the processor and other hardware must not use any additional power and the touch screen must not use any additional power except when the pages are being turned. Without knowing more it is hard to predict the real battery life time for the page turn time. I would hope you are right but the processor speed is faster than devices I have seen that last a couple of weeks so only time will tell what will really be obtained.

I hope people won't get upset if they don't get 2 weeks or more but it is about managing expectations.

Dale
Well. My hopes about 2 weeks should be achievable only if one uses the reader for reading a book without using touch screen, Wi-Fi, etc. Otherwise it would drain battery a lot faster which is understandable.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:54 PM   #44
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Gmail is a terrible email account that often gets trashed in a spam filter these days. It doesn't bounce, it just gets thrown away. Unfortunately all free emails can easily have this problem due to spammers using them extensively.

Dale
That explains *HIS* problem, but *I* was using my personal email address over at Comcast.net.

Derek
Old 03-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #45
astra
The Introvert

Quote:

Dale
Really?
I have not noticed it. I have gmail account since 01/09/2004 and I use only this account since then. No problems so far.

Tags
e ink, e-book reader, netronix, pvi