Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-29-2012, 10:06 AM   #16
Pax
Zealot
Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3, Sony PRS 650
Thanks a lot for your recommendations! I will closely consider them, when I have finished reading my current book.

If you do know more good books about this topic, please just post them.
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:09 AM   #17
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I haven't read it yet, but I have on my TBR list Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage.

http://www.amazon.com/Endurance-Shac...0091042&sr=8-2
I haven't read that one, either, but I have read (listened to unabridged audio version) of The Endurance, Shackleton's Legendary Antarctic Expedition by Caroline Alexander (Amazon) and recommend it highly.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2012, 05:47 PM   #18
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Try this.....

"Touching the Void", Simpson - a bit out of the "ordinary" survival, but fantastic !
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:07 PM   #19
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
"Touching the Void", Simpson - a bit out of the "ordinary" survival, but fantastic !
Second the motion! The movie is pretty good, too.
rkomar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:35 AM   #20
~Kate
Connoisseur
~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7 2013
The Penal Colony is a freebie on Amazon.com that was quite good (4 1/2 stars reviews). The main character is exiled to an island with other convicts and has to survive.
~Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2012, 10:40 AM   #21
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kate View Post
The Penal Colony is a freebie on Amazon.com that was quite good (4 1/2 stars reviews). The main character is exiled to an island with other convicts and has to survive.
Thanks for the pointer (free on Amazon UK too).
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #22
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown
apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
THE WRECK OF THE MEDUSA
The Most Famous Sea Disaster of the Nineteenth Century.
By Jonathan Miles.

NYT review here: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/02/bo...pagewanted=all

Truly horrifying, if that's what you're after.
apbschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:40 AM   #23
way8lifter
Enthusiast
way8lifter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
I haven't read it yet, but I have on my TBR list Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage.

http://www.amazon.com/Endurance-Shac...0091042&sr=8-2

It's nonfiction. I was impressed with the consistently great reviews. This was an ebook deal at one time (don't remember the price) but I didn't pick it up because my library has it.

eP
I read the book over 30 years ago ...and still do from time to time ..wonderful true story ...one year even bought my mom a large coffee table edition
way8lifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 02:45 AM   #24
way8lifter
Enthusiast

adrift ...previously mentioned...guy spends 0ver 60 days at sea in a raft after his sail boat is sunk by a whale ( true story)

And I alone Survived ...true too
Old 03-23-2012, 02:46 AM   #25
way8lifter
Enthusiast

and there must be a book or 2 out there on the largest shark attack in history ...hundreds died ...the sinking of the Indianapolis ...
Old 03-23-2012, 07:07 AM   #26
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by way8lifter View Post
and there must be a book or 2 out there on the largest shark attack in history ...hundreds died ...the sinking of the Indianapolis ...
Don't want to make light of the truly awful event - but it does sound rather like a non-survivalist work.....

Don't think I could take it, anyway.

"Touching the Void" , though - stunning, and beautifully written....
And the Shackleton ? A real no-brainer really - got to be on your list.

I rather gave up on "Penal Colony", my initial doubts being confirmed - but due to the weakness of the writing, and the somewhat dated feel, rather than any depictions of horror and bestiality that the title nudges you about.
Don't know why I d/loaded it, really, didn't sound anything like my cup of Java.

Oh yes, it was free.......
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:11 AM   #27
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Not sure if it's available as an ebook, but "Castaway" by Lucy Irvine is beautifully written. They're not strictly stranded, but experimenting in the Crusoe experience. However, some things do go wrong....
Although written from female POV, not a "girlie" book.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:01 AM   #28
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown
apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Here's another novel: A Dream in Polar Fog. The exploration of cross-cultural issues here is unusually subtle. This the description from Amazon:

A Dream in Polar Fog is at once a cross-cultural journey, an ethnographic fable and chronicle of the Chukchi people and a breathtaking adventure story. It is the story of John MacLellan, a young Canadian sailor who is left behind by his ship, stranded among the native people of the arctic coast. It is the story of one Chukchi community that adopts a crippled stranger and teaches him to live as a “true human being.” During the long winter, John comes to know his new companions—first as untutored primitives, then in the romantic light of noble savages and finally as a real people who share the best and worst of human traits with his own kind. Tragedy strikes, and a life is lost and re-given; a man rises to take the place of a boy; wounds are healed with compassion, honesty and love. And when difficult times loom ahead, it is his new family that John will fight to preserve.
apbschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:20 AM   #29
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Unbroken has excellent reviews on Amazon.

NYT review
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:32 AM   #30
Pax
Zealot
Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD 3, Sony PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by apbschmitz View Post
Here's another novel: A Dream in Polar Fog. The exploration of cross-cultural issues here is unusually subtle. This the description from Amazon:

A Dream in Polar Fog is at once a cross-cultural journey, an ethnographic fable and chronicle of the Chukchi people and a breathtaking adventure story. It is the story of John MacLellan, a young Canadian sailor who is left behind by his ship, stranded among the native people of the arctic coast. It is the story of one Chukchi community that adopts a crippled stranger and teaches him to live as a “true human being.” During the long winter, John comes to know his new companions—first as untutored primitives, then in the romantic light of noble savages and finally as a real people who share the best and worst of human traits with his own kind. Tragedy strikes, and a life is lost and re-given; a man rises to take the place of a boy; wounds are healed with compassion, honesty and love. And when difficult times loom ahead, it is his new family that John will fight to preserve.
Yes, I already read this, as mentioned in the first post. But still thank you, it is a great book.
Pax is offline   Reply With Quote