Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
iPhone 4 Shipping Early (+ some early reviews as they come in)

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/apple/ipho...pdated-3x/7287

Boingboing's Xeni Jardin has been using one for a while, it seems:
http://www.boingboing.net/2010/06/22...e-4-hands.html

of course WSJ's Walt Mossberg got one:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...290405346.html

Engadget's Josh Topolsky has one:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/22/iphone-4-review/

USA Today's Ed Baig of course:
http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columni...4-review_N.htm

and NYT's David Pogue:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/23/te...h/23pogue.html

and Gizmodo...uh...links to other reviews..
http://gizmodo.com/5570185/5-takes-on-apples-iphone-4

Last edited by kjk; 06-22-2010 at 06:32 PM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:34 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

some Retina Display goodness:

Old 06-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Mine arrived at 9:15 this morning!!! Wheee!! It certainly is faster.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Mine arrived at 9:15 this morning!!! Wheee!! It certainly is faster.
How is the screen???
Old 06-23-2010, 02:55 PM   #5
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yummy! It seems denser than before, but I'm not an expert at testing or seeing little differences. It certainly runs my apps faster!

Here's a pic. Apparently, the iMac camera takes a mirror image picture (like the left). You can't read the text! If I turn on effects "mirror" it will add in the image at the right, so things look a little normal. (never used my iMac's camera before)

Pic shows the "folderizing" in iOS 4, too. The two black images with little
blocks inside them. I love this new capability!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 7.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	53972  
Old 06-23-2010, 02:58 PM   #6
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Yummy! It seems denser than before, but I'm not an expert at testing or seeing little differences. It certainly runs my apps faster!

Here's a pic. Apparently, the iMac camera takes a mirror image picture (like the left). You can't read the text! If I turn on effects "mirror" it will add in the image at the right, so things look a little normal. (never used my iMac's camera before)

Pic shows the "folderizing" in iOS 4, too. The two black images with little
blocks inside them. I love this new capability!
Ok, now I want one
Old 06-23-2010, 03:00 PM   #7
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Here's a pic of the folderizing in use. (Of course, this worked on my iPhone 3G yesterday, too ... before I obsoleted it and replace it with the iPhone 4). It comes with iOS 4, which was just released.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 8.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	53973  
Old 06-23-2010, 03:01 PM   #8
kjk

White iPhones have been delayed til mid-July..grrrrr...
Old 06-23-2010, 08:47 PM   #9
steph_g
Book Lover
steph_g doesn't littersteph_g doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS
Font sizes in mail, messages

David Pogue said in his review:

"Those over 40 can now bump up the type size for e-mail, notes, text messages and address book entries."

I upgraded my 3GS to iOS 4, but I don't see anywhere to do this. Does it only apply to iPhone 4? Anyone know anything about this? I wouldn't mind a larger font for MMS.
steph_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #10
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
hmm.. email's always had this ability. but i don't see anywhere to change it in notes, text messages or the address book either. at least not on my iOS 4, 3gs. maybe in the iPhone 4.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #11
steph_g
Book Lover

How do you change the size in Mail? I didn't know you could do that? Just curious. Thanks!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:25 PM   #12
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph_g View Post
How do you change the size in Mail? I didn't know you could do that? Just curious. Thanks!
Settings/Mail/Minimum Font Size
Old 06-23-2010, 10:21 PM   #13
steph_g
Book Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Settings/Mail/Minimum Font Size
Doh! How did I miss that? Thanks!
Old 06-23-2010, 11:36 PM   #14
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
Would you new owners mind holding the top left corner as in video in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...045#post976045 ?

If you lose signal... err...
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:12 AM   #15
steph_g
Book Lover

The way to change text size is in settings/general/accessibility in case anyone else is interested. (I wrote to David Pogue and asked him how to do it. He wrote back within a couple of hours with the info. How cool is that?!)