Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 04:56 PM   #1
Phenobarbiedoll
Phenobarbiedoll began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Lend Me feature on Nook

I looked through half of the Nook threads and did not see this topic posted. Have any of you Nook users used the Lend Me feature? If so how do you use it and did you like it?
Phenobarbiedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
I used it. It was pretty cool. I lent a book to somebody in Germany (I am in the US) and they lent me one. I couldn't read mine while it was lent out to him. Two weeks later, I was able to read it again. Two weeks after I got his, I couldn't read it any more. Pretty nifty.
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:14 AM   #3
Khai
Enthusiast
Khai began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Someone should create a thread so we can all share books
Khai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:04 AM   #4
lionel47
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khai View Post
Sounds like a good idea. Would the moderators allow it or should we just ask them to create a whole new category?
Old 05-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
Phenobarbiedoll

Quote:
I like this idea!!!
Old 05-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
Good idea! To bad we can only share books purchased from B&N....
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:04 AM   #7
Khai
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
Sounds like a good idea. Would the moderators allow it or should we just ask them to create a whole new category?
Hmm, a category would be great for better searching for specific groups. Depends on MR mods, I guess.

Alternatively, we could just create different threads for different genres, create another which links to all the genres and then sticky that one. Then it'll be easier for people to search for specific genre, e.g. Fantasy, Horror.

Then people who have their B&N books will post them accordingly. This would require moderators to regularly monitor everything..hee
Old 05-03-2010, 08:38 PM   #8
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenobarbiedoll View Post
I looked through half of the Nook threads and did not see this topic posted. Have any of you Nook users used the Lend Me feature? If so how do you use it and did you like it?
It seems to me the books you can lend is very limited. I don't have a lot of B&N books since I'm still fairly new to this ebook thing. But out of about a dozen B&N books only 2 have the lend this book tag on them. I may be wrong but I assume you can only lend books with that notation.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #9
lionel47
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
It seems to me the books you can lend is very limited. I don't have a lot of B&N books since I'm still fairly new to this ebook thing. But out of about a dozen B&N books only 2 have the lend this book tag on them. I may be wrong but I assume you can only lend books with that notation.

~eddie
Yes, you can only lend books with that notation. I think there are a couple of things that B&N and publishers may want to keep in mind moving forward:
  • If I buy a physical book, I can lend it to whomever I want and I can't read it as long as they have it. Why should it be any different for an ebook? They should remove the two week restriction.
  • I can lend any physical book to anyone. Publishers should consider a standard that allows books to be lent to anyone using any reader. The only restiction should be that I cannot read it until it has been returned.

I'll have to give this more thought, though. The rub is that digital media is easily duplicated and distributed.

Anyway, I have the following books available for lending:
  • The McKinsey Engagement (consulting)
  • The Starfish and The Spider
  • A Whole New Mind

By the way, it appears you can only lend a book out once. Another disappointing feature, IMHO.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:00 AM   #10
Phenobarbiedoll

These are the books I have to lend:

Burned (House of Night book 7)
The Science of Vampires

For the amount of books I have downloaded I am disappointed I only have two too lend. Also I have a vampire obsession so even if I had more to lend it would all be vampire type books.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:21 AM   #11
Khai
Enthusiast

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG BURRRRRRNEEEED! Lend meeeee!

Aww darnit, yeah, I just checked, the books I bought can't be lent. Not a single one.

And I totally agree with you on removing the lending thing. It's not like books can be pirated just by the lending system. Or can they..?
Old 05-04-2010, 10:31 AM   #12
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
I'd be interested in a thread like that too, although I only buy about 6 books a year. I get most of my e-books from the library or other free sources.

The only Lend-Me book I currently have is 'Broken Prey' by John Sandford.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:59 PM   #13
Phenobarbiedoll

Quote:
OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG BURRRRRRNEEEED! Lend meeeee!

Aww darnit, yeah, I just checked, the books I bought can't be lent. Not a single one.

And I totally agree with you on removing the lending thing. It's not like books can be pirated just by the lending system. Or can they..?
As soon as I am finished reading it (probably within the week) I would be more than happy to lend it to you! I am new to this forum and do not know how to send a private message with my email so if you want to send me yours or just a message I will give you my email info!
Old 05-05-2010, 05:41 PM   #14
spec
Zealot
spec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura aboutspec has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
great idea - should be a sticky one!

I would like to read Carl Sagan "The Varieties of Scientific Experience : A Personal View of the Search for God" eventually. bn.com says it's part of LendMe
spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:33 PM   #15
JerseyBiker
Addict
JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JerseyBiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Nook Glowlight, Galaxy Tab S9, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenobarbiedoll View Post
I am new to this forum and do not know how to send a private message
Click on the user name in the upper left and you will see a link to send private mail.

~eddie
JerseyBiker is offline   Reply With Quote